A Christmas mix

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:35 pm

Over the last few days while off from work, we have watched a number of our Christmas films, these include,

Scrooge 2 x 800ft
Rudolph the red nosed reindeer,
Mickeys Christmas carol, (one of the best),
Peace on Earth,
Pluto's Christmas tree, Santa's workshop, The night before Christmas and Toy Tinkers, all 200ft full versions which are on the 400ft A Walt Disney Christmas. While we do have a low fade copy of this one, the Mrs and Brother prefer to watch the full versions, I myself prefer the 400ft film but am always happy to view the four full versions but I think Disney home movies did a really good job on getting the four classic cartoons onto one 400ft reel, all very well edited.
Christmas eve we will view the Snowman and Tom & Jerrys The night before Christmas, film office print, (previous screenshots in the list below).
Between the films we viewed we included Christmas trailer reels 1 and two plus a new edition which I never expected as it was a gift from a friend, Christmas trailer reel 3, along with two classic trailers, Home Alone and Miracle on 34th Street.

Over the next week we will also be viewing Die Hard one and Two.

No images here as I dont wish to sit taking images all the way through but, for those who may like to see a few, there are some here from previous reviews and screenings.

Miracle on 34th Street Trailer, Colour Sound
Peace on Earth 200ft Colour Sound
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Derann 200ft LPP
First Christmas film show
Tom & Jerry, The night before Christmas, Film office print.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Mark Mander and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 12.22.2023 | Top

RE: A Christmas mix

#2 by Thomas Peters , Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:14 pm

Someone on eBay is trying to pass that Rudolph film you have as the TV Rankin Bass version. He has screenshots, so I'm not sure who he's fooling.
I've never seen your version.

Which version of SCROOGE? The Alastair Sim version goes by that name in the UK but as A CHRISTMAS CAROL in the U.S. Or is it the Albert Finney version? Or some other version?

I have the 400 foot Sim version from Columbia. Strange that Castle also released that in a 200 foot version, but I've never seen it. Weird, since Castle usually only had the rights to Universal and pre-1948 Paramount films.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 12.22.2023 | Top

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:38 am

Ours is the 5 x 400ft version with Alister Sim, the film fits fine on the 2 x 800 we have it on, for me this is the best version although everyone will have their favourite. The title, A Christmas Carol, in my opinion is the correct title which should always be used, on the title screen of this version it does at least state it is from the novel A Christmas carol, I dont know why they used the main title "Scrooge".
We did have the 400ft version from Columbia but while the edit was quite good, that annoying narrator columbia home movies used on so many of their 400 footers was so over the top and intrusive to the film stupid nonsense like Scrooged was sat eating his gruel" was laughable so we promptly got shot of it

The version I have of Rudolph is not one I've seen anywhere else apart from on super 8, it is a nice short cartoon for this time of year and the quality is outstanding.
The Rankin/Bass version is hard to come by without fade but there are some LPP prints available but they are hard to find.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 12.23.2023 | Top

#4 by Thomas Peters , Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:28 pm

Well, they called it SCROOGE in the U.K., so you tell me why?

Wiki claims that UA handled the US release, which again confuses me on how Castle and Columbia released the digests rather than Ken Films. I can't remember the last time I screened mine, so perhaps the time is ripe now.

That version is probably the best, but I admit I've only seen that one, the Albert Finney one, and the earlier one wih Seymour Hicks. Maybe bits and pieces of others.

Is your version fully complete? Who released it?

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 12.23.2023 | Top

#5 by Tom Photiou , Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:32 pm

The 5 x 400 was released here in the UK by DCR films,

I'm not 100% sure if it is very slightly edited or not as I cant remember ever sitting through the film on TV but the full version does run for 87 minutes.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Christmas trailers no3
Christmas show

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor