Peace on Earth 200ft Colour Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:20 pm

What better time of year to review my Derann 200ft version of this great classic cartoon.
As far as the print is concerned it doesn't get any better really, this one is an LPP polyester and there isn't a mark on it. Colour is so vivid and the sound is excellent, the guns and explosion roar through the twin Wharfdale speakers and the music at the start and end suits this short so well. I cannot recommend this enough. We do also have the remake Goodwill to men in scope, again it is a great Christmas short. But as Mr Wilton said in his original review, for sheer cuteness this one wins hands down. These images really do not do it any justice.

The story,
Two young squirrels ask their grandfather (Voiced by Mel Blanc-uncredited) on Christmas Eve who the "men" are in the lyric "Peace on Earth, good will to men." The grandfather squirrel then tells them a history of the human race, focusing on the never-ending wars men waged. Ultimately the wars do end, with the deaths of the last men on Earth, two soldiers shooting each other, one shoots the other soldier and the injured soldier kills the last, but dies as he sinks into watery foxhole as his hand grasp into water. Afterwards, the surviving animals discover a copy of an implied Bible in the ruins of a church. Inspired by the book's teachings, they decide to rebuild a society dedicated to peace and nonviolence (using the helmets of soldiers to construct houses). The cartoon features an original song written to the tune of "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing."

Very highly recommended for anyone who only wants one Christmas movie. They dont make them like this anymore.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Gwyn Morgan and Vidar Olavesen

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 12.15.2016 | Top

RE: Peace on Earth 200ft Colour Sound

#2 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:11 am

An excellent animated short to show this time of year! Your print is really nice Tom! I have this in the (CENSORED) format, as an extra with the "A Christmas Carol" (1938) feature. Already watched these recently too. :-) (Don't crucify me guys!)

Eivind Mork likes this
Tim Duncan

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:26 am

Out of curiosity in which way is it censored tim

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:42 am

lovely colour left on yours here Tom. I still look out for a better version than I currently have. One day, one will surface, I am sure.😊😊

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Graham Sinden , Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:51 pm

I bought this recently at the last Ealing and mine looks the same as yours Tom. I had Goodwill to Men but not this one. I thought it was a bit blue when I bought it but after projecting it, it looked great.

Always had mixed feelings about this film (and Goodwill to Men). The animals are kind of like saying that they are superior to humans as humans wanted to wipe out each other. Maybe they are. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Its a cartoon . Still nice to have these top Derann prints on super 8.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 12.16.2016 | Top

#6 by Eivind Mork , Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:27 pm

Very nice screenshots, Tom! I have never seen this film.

The film was not censored, but the name of the format it was watched on was censored from the post :-)

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#7 by Tom Photiou , Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:27 pm

It certainly puts very good points across about mankind Graham,
Not too far off the truth really, Humans are the only animal on the planet that kill for other reasons other than to eat.
Great xmas cartoon though.

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#8 by Stuart Reid , Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:15 am

Pleased to have a nice print of this and Goodwill To Men on 8mm. Getting quite the collection of Christmas shorts, what is it about the festive season that lends itself so well to film projection?

Eivind Mork likes this

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#9 by Graham Sinden , Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:33 am

Yes I agree Tom but not all humans are bad. Also not all animals are good like the Cuckoo. Im not going to say anymore as it is only a cartoon with a good anti war message. :)

Graham S

Tom Photiou likes this
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#10 by Eivind Mork , Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:14 am

To me it is two things, Stuart: Dark nights (summer nights in Norway are bright). The sun sets at 1511 today. Not much fun to do outside after that. But way more important: Childhood memories. All the waiting at Christmas was handled watching TV. So I am instantly in childish Christmas mode when watching Pluto's Christmas Tree for example. For me films are much about nostalgia too, and what better time of year for that :-)

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#11 by Tom Photiou , Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:41 pm

We are very lucky to have the film room so in the summer when its unbearably hot i can hide away in the day or evening, shut the door and its always a nice cool room as well as dark, in the winter when its freezing cold the room is also centrally heated with the rest of the house as it use to be a bedroom before we bought it in 1999.
This is the first year i haven't done any children's Christmas film shows unfortunately, i built up a collection of xmas films over the years for the kids parties but who cares, i love them.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:46 pm

Bloody brilliant outlook in life that Tom! ����

You're like me now mate, in the respect that we are now waiting for grandkids to have an excuse for putting on a Christmas show again, full of classic meaningful and poignant cartoons

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:47 pm | Top

Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid Trailer.
Pearl Harbour/Scope 400ft

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor