How is everyone coping during this difficult time

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:06 am

While this is a film forum, i would like to ask how eveyone is, here and around the world?
Only a few weeks ago many people,INCLUDING ME, thought everything going on was an over reaction. Regretfully this is clearly something no one could predict and with so many people dying around the world.

For us here in the film collecting community it would be great if more people could come on who normally wouldnt, and just stay in touch and make sure everyone is ok.

I guess we will all have much more time to view films as we look after our families.

I would like as many people as possible to just look in and share what we are all up to. during this awful time and i will try my best to get up some more reviews.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Greg Perry
Del Phillipson sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: How is everyone coping during this difficult time

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:13 pm

Yes Tom, a few weeks ago we hadn't anything to worry about; even when I heard of Coronavirus in China, I thought it was too far away, but it has been brought here from people flying in from China and elsewhere. I expect you are all experiencing difficulties with shopping; people panic buying, and causing problems for the rest of us.
A lot of people have underlying health problems, not just the older people.
As for myself, I'm not unduly worried, as I have great faith in Composition Powder, formulated by an American botanist called Samuel Thomson over 200 years ago, popularised in England by one of his pupils a Dr Albert Isaiah Coffin. Described in the 1930s as the nearest thing to a Panacea. You can find the details of it if you Google. At present there is no treatment available. A vaccine may be available in a couple of months. Oxford University are ready to test it on some humans very shortly.

Del Phillipson likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Last edited 03.22.2020 | Top

#3 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:10 pm

I'm at work today and tomorrow and am waiting to hear if were shutting down, a skeleton staff at the moment anyway as some are off due to coughs etc or an underlying condition that might put them in the danger zone, some are just on the band wagon!!! If we do go on lockdown then I will just try and keep busy at home one way or another, if we get out the other side and all healthy then the financial side can be dealt with then, Mark

Mark Mander

#4 by Greg Perry , Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:22 pm

I am starting to get a bit more concerned about this whole thing--especially when you see so many dying in Italy. Here in Minnesota, they have yet to impose a full lock down and are just advocating "social distancing", but I expect the lock down will be here soon. The grocery stores here are doing their best to keep shelves stocked, but toilet paper is not to be found, and no bread the other day when I went. All of the stores now have special early hours for senior citizens and medical people to shop first thing so they can usually find what they need--before shelves are empty---which is the right thing to do.

And, I do find more time for films now as it is a nice distraction from the whole media circus on both internet and TV as those idiots have nothing of value to share about this. I agree that it is best for those who may be at higher risk to completely stay indoors away from others and hopefully they all have a loved one or neighbor to drop supplies off for them at their front door.

Hope everyone is making it through this bizarre event ok--so far so good here...

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:20 pm

My work will no doubt shut down altogether very soon as are many others.
Id personally like to know how this whole started. It all stinks to me.something not right.
Just hope it all gets sorted and soon. Doesnt it all show how fragile everything is and how everyone takes so many things for granted.

Lets hope the science people can come up with something soon.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Robert Crewdson

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#6 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:27 pm

Some people are already trying to take advantage of the situation. We tried to get a digital thermometer; we have a mercury one, but was advised to get a more modern one. One that should normally sell for £39 is being sold on Ebay for £99. Last Wednesday, Iceland was only open to over 65s until 11am, they had plenty of food. One woman sneaked in and was trying to buy toilet rolls, but as she had no proof of age, as she must have looked younger, she was refused to be served.

Boris Johnson is saying the lockdown could last a year. I think this is going to bankrupt the country.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:19 pm

I cant see how thats possible!! A year??

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#8 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:01 pm

They can't pay 80% of peoples wages for a year. Many business's will go bankrupt as well. Some stores are already closing some branches temporarily. Given the age of many in this hobby, I think we will hear of some fatalities.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#9 by Greg Perry , Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:52 pm

Tom,

I don't consider myself paranoid and I don't wear a 'tin foil hat' either, but I think you are absolutely correct in that something more devious is going on here. How can China, with over 4 billion people living on top of one another like sardines in a can, all of a sudden not have ANY new cases? How can Russia and India, who share borders with China have so few cases? It is impossible that no more people in China are getting it unless they have a vaccine already or something and are not sharing it---either that or they are out and out lying about no new cases.

The other thing to consider is how the stock market has virtually crashed since this virus. That benefits only China who has the money to buy up shares at low prices while the U.S/UK and other investors are struggling to keep things afloat and the government is having to pump trillions/billions in to help regular people deal with the lost wages.

Sorry to go on a rant here--especially as it isn't film related--but this rare situation makes it important that we share our thoughts among friends here....

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#10 by Del Phillipson , Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:14 pm

Tom, the whole thing started with the Chinese eating Bats, that's the origin.

Unfortunately things are starting to pan out as I feared, had my rant on facebook today about all the selfish aresholes gathering in crowds in tourist places because the sun was out, absolutely brain dead.

Stay safe everyone, I hope to still see all of you posting when we finally beat this terrible disease.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#11 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:33 pm

There is this persistent theory that the virus was created in a lab.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#12 by Tom Photiou , Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:02 pm

Greg, i agree with you as do many many other people. The whole thing reeks of wrong doing. I did hear the thing about eating bats but the crap they eat over there tells me an experiment went wrong. They knew about it in November but didnt tell anyone and they denied everything. Funny how the doctor who discovered it was silenced and then died.
How can anyone believe them now?

Anyhow, i hope everyone is safe. If your self isolating make sure you have a projector and some films in the room.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Greg Perry and Robert Crewdson

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#13 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:41 pm

Latest news is that a 36 year old N.H.S. nurse without any underlying health problems is fighting for her life after showing Coronavirus symptoms. I also heard that an 18 year old had died. So anyone is at risk.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#14 by Bill Phelps , Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:30 am

Still working...I only wish I had some time off, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#15 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:37 am

Myself and my brother are still OK, we are trying to get on with life as much as usual as possible, I'm lucky in a way that my business has for the most part been Mail Order, so no difference there. I think we have just got to be sensible, and live life to as full an experience that can happen at the moment. I find myself throwing myself more into working on films, and of course watching them with my brother (not forgetting Joy our wonderful dog, she really is a 'Joy' at this difficult time too!). So all I can say really is be well and be safe, and I'm working as usual!

Tom Photiou likes this
Barry Attwood

#16 by Tom Photiou , Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am

Glad to hear your ok Barry.
Judging ny your huge lists you wont be short of things to do regarding your films.
I have never had a dog myself but right now i have to say that would be a great family addition.
If anyone hears from others in our hobby who may not be on here please let us all know they are well.
For those who look in but dont normally contribute just say hi.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#17 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:54 pm

I have been retired for 24 years and live alone. Things for me are now not a lot different. I have over 3000 films to look at with many previously bought and not yet screened. I have just learnt that my local Tesco is opening Mon/Wed/Fri for one hour, 9am to 10am, for us elderly people. Younger people told to stay away. I wonder if I should take my Passport !

Maurice

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 03.23.2020 | Top

#18 by Tom Photiou , Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:39 pm

I hope you will be ok Maurice. Sounds like you have enough films to keepbyou going for rather a long time. And i know you wont have a shortage of projecyors to show them on

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 03.23.2020 | Top

#19 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:32 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I would think the majority will cope in the short term - but weeks or months down the line? That's a worry. On another thread - what about eBay? We are told not to make unnecessary journeys and stay at safe distance, but people are still selling and buying on eBay. Surely this has to increase risk of catching the disease? Personally I have cancelled all my listings to avoid visiting the Post Office. What's your thoughts?

Terry Sills

#20 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:44 pm

A problem for those who have to self isolate, is that the supermarkets don't have available delivery slots for weeks; even click and collect is not available for a fortnight or more. If this drags on for months, then it could affect manufacturing, medicines, cleaning products, etc.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#21 by Tom Photiou , Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:07 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Terry, i do agree with you regarding ebay.
I have to be honest here, it was another collector who did mention about this, he said the idea of selling something and then it gets caught in a lock down and stuck in a warehouse for weeks or months is not good. A
t that time one of the items i had on ebay was my "around the Beatles" mounted onto an 800ft spool, this was one title i wasn't taking a chance with so i removed it and then emailed the two bidders to explain why and i added that i will relist it when this whole terrible thing is over.
The other items i have on there do run out within two days and then i will not list anything until things begin to normalise. The thing is, i see ebay are still advertising on the TV and encouraging people to buy and sell.

Robert, you are right about that, it will take quite a while for everything to pick up again.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#22 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:34 pm

Tom
One of the items I was selling had a bid on and I explained the reason for cancellation. I don't think he was impressed but c'est la vie! What annoys me also is the constant adverts for 'cruise' holidays and other holiday breaks. Also the way Morrisons keep advertising that they are reducing prices on their products - yeah! That's a good way of stopping queues of manic panic shoppers stripping the shelves. Perhaps the Government should clamp down on idiotic advertising that exacerbates the the problem.

Terry Sills

#23 by Tom Photiou , Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:48 pm

Exactly, and when you go to Morrison's the shelves are empty and guess what? there are no more offers on, they are selling everything at full price. No doubt the asses at the top will get very big rewards for huge sales figures at the end of the year. We were talking to someone yesterday who said an elderly member of their family always treat himself up to a Domino's pizza once every two weeks at £9.99, this weekend the price went up to £15.99. As for the scum who are emptying the shelves and selling the food on ebay and other online websites, they should be fined heavily and those websites including ebay should be shutdown for the duration.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#24 by Del Phillipson , Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:05 pm

There's one thing guys, everyone now has plenty of time to service their projectors, not you Maurice, we have three weeks not three years :-). I have recently serviced both my GS1200's and also fitted rollers to the relevant scratch parts, they work a treat and both projectors now purr, lots of household jobs to be done and even some re recording fitted in, don't think I'll be bored. Stay safe everyone.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#25 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:09 pm

Just heard that Boris has put the country on Lock Down - GOOD! And not before time. Hopefully this will put an end to the selfish attitude of the idiots that ignored the warnings.

Terry Sills

Thank the Lord !!
Projectors in films

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor