RE: How is everyone coping during this difficult time

#51 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:09 pm

Of all the times for something to go wrong, our washing machine packed up halfway through a cycle. Fortunately, the company we have bought domestic items from before, are operating as normal, and we will have a new machine delivered on Monday.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#52 by Erik Schoolcraft , Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:07 am

Pretty good here. I've been off a few days but have finally had time to look at some of the films I've gotten over the past few years. Some of them have been sitting gathering dust while I've been working 50-55 hours a week. Our local Gov. has guarenteed our pay for the next couple weeks so I don't mind being off and it's nice to have time to fire up the projectors again.

The following members like this: Bill Phelps, Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou
Erik Schoolcraft  
Erik Schoolcraft
Date registered 08.16.2018
ThankYou 18

#53 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:28 am

Tom
I hadn't heard about an agreement made with Insurance companies, but I hope that's correct, otherwise a lot of drivers will be at risk. However we had to make a trip to Dorchester Hospital yesterday and there were very few cars on the road, the car parks virtually empty and it was like a ghost town. How you would expect the end of the world to look like! Makes you realise how seriously this virus is now being taken.

Terry Sills

#54 by Tom Photiou , Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:47 am

It is weird Terry,
it's like living in a zombie movie but (fortunately) without the zombies, although seeing a few stupid people who think there immune disregarding the request, maybe not
Lets all hope this whole thing ends sooner rather than later.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#55 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:57 am

There are still people ignoring the advice. Some people keep going back and forth in their cars. Another turned up last night and stayed with her mother, while her other children have got shopping and knocked on the door, then stood more than two metres away when she takes the shopping in.

My wife works as a carer, and yesterday she got an email to tell her to always carry her I.D on her as they had reports of carers being stopped by police asking what they were doing outside?

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#56 by Tom Photiou , Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:02 am

My worry at present is that my Wife looks like she will be working in one of the hubs. While she will get checked every day she is there, it makes me feel a bit uneasy if i'm honest.
The local football club is being set up with hoards of tents for testing.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#57 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:16 pm

They should pay them a bit extra, Danger Money.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#58 by Robert Crewdson , Thu May 14, 2020 10:50 pm

Anyone waiting for item from overseas?; I'm currently waiting for two film posters from Australia. The last was held up for just seven days at Langley International Sorting office, but my latest purchases have been there almost three weeks. I read some reviews and many people have had items stuck there 6 weeks with no sign of movement. The postal systems in Australia and the U.S., are both working better than here. Royal Mail have asked people to continue posting letters and parcels as normal, yet have cut out the Saturday delivery of letters. We are lucky if we see 3 deliveries a week, yet the other Couriers are around all the time. How do they expect to shift the backlog.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#59 by Greg Perry , Fri May 15, 2020 3:04 am

Robert,

I recently received 2 ebay items from France. These were delayed two + weeks from when I expected them. However, with the China virus delays I wasn't overly concerned...I am glad they finally showed up though.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#60 by Robert Crewdson , Fri May 15, 2020 10:31 am

These items have a tracking number, but nothing since they left Australia.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#61 by Eivind Mork , Fri May 15, 2020 10:00 pm

I waited for many weeks for a film from France. It was a title I had never seen for sale, so I got a bit nervous when the status changed to "having a problem". I thought it might be lost. But after a looong time it showed up in Norway. It was of course because of the Corona situation, but it came in the end.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Greg Perry and Robert Crewdson
Robert Crewdson sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#62 by Robert Crewdson , Tue May 19, 2020 10:43 am

Just had some good news that my items from Australia have landed, and checking the Royal Mail site, they have left the International Sorting Office and are on the way. I wonder where they have been. The item cleared customs in Australia and was waiting for international departure on the 28th April, almost 3 weeks ago.

Eivind Mork likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#63 by Eivind Mork , Tue May 19, 2020 10:49 am

How great that the film are getting through! It was the same for my film from France. I suspect that things can get delayed a lot if they have fewer workers available due to the lock downs around the world.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#64 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 20, 2020 8:51 pm

It's quite strange really,
because of all the shops closed etc, on line such as Amazon and ebay seem to be going mad. I personally decided to stop listing on ebay at the start of this covid thing because i thought items that sold may get lost or stuck in the systems. It seems i was very wrong. I recently put on some craft items and was surprised at how well they did and all items sold. More importantly, they all reached there postal addresses within two days.
I also recieved a couple of small films films from Steve at the reel image. I think the postal services seem to be doing very well. It would have been horrendous if some of them stopped operating and thousands of parcels and letters were in limbo.
Now i am looking forward to receiving my next little batch of trailers. The one good thing that came to our door during this lock down was my three reels sent by a fellow collector and friend A fistful of dollars. These have already been viewed many times.
Now i am back to work i am wishing i did a whole lot more in my film room. The days just flew by as i caught up with those scilly small jobs that never get done.

I hope everyone looking in here is keeping well, if your signed up just pop on and say hello so we know your ok.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#65 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 20, 2020 9:43 pm

Royal Mail is doing very well, considering they say that they have high levels of absenteeism . Some items are arriving as expected , 48hr service, and some a few days late. The problem seems to be with the International Logistics Centre at Langley, near Slough, where all the mail from Heathrow goes. There are complaints of people waiting 8 weeks for updates to tracking numbers. The problem goes back before the pandemic, with complaints online going back to 2016. There are complaints from Ebay sellers having to refund buyers for items either lost or delayed, and telephone calls to Royal Mail get them nowhere.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Last edited 05.20.2020 | Top

#66 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 20, 2020 9:46 pm

They never been the same since being privatised. Only one delivery a day instead of two etc

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#67 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 20, 2020 9:49 pm

We used to get 3 a day, 2 letters and one parcel. When I was in York in the 70s, they had 5 collections a day.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Thank the Lord !!
Projectors in films

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor