RE: How is everyone coping during this difficult time

#26 by Tom Photiou , Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:13 pm

Yes it does look like we are lock down thanks to all the stupid tossers at the weekend. How dense are some people????
Funny thing is, we predicted this was going to happen so tonight i went to B & Q to get some paint for my bathroom, the twats only closed early
Like many people around here, the biggest worry is th elderly and as long as we keep checking on them and make sure they behave i know we should come out the other end. Hopefully, those chaps who are in that position will also pop on here and let us know all is ok and even start up some new threads for our equipment and films that perhaps hasn't been covered for a while.

Does anyone here remember this excellent TV dram series on BBC, (when they made decent programmes) from 1975, how much of a coincidence is this, here is the write up from wiki, look familiar?

Survivors is a British post-apocalyptic fiction drama television series created by Terry Nation and produced by Terence Dudley at the BBC, that broadcast from 1975 to 1977. It concerns the plight of a group of people who have survived an apocalyptic plague pandemic, which was accidentally released by a Chinese scientist and quickly spread across the world via air travel. Referred to as "The Death", the plague kills approximately 4,999 out of every 5,000 human beings on the planet within a matter of weeks of being released.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Robert Crewdson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 03.23.2020 | Top

#27 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:47 pm

Yes Tom a good BBC program. But on a serious and uncomfortable note, nature has always had a way of reducing the population - Wars, Pestilence and disease. Now that world wars and pestilence are no more only disease is left and you can't beat nature! Man is decimating the planet through greed and avarice. A privileged few are making billions while the masses suffer. It cannot g on.
Remember - It's the rich what gets the pleasure - it's the poor what gets the blame - it's the same the whole world over - ain't it all a bleeding shame!
As the old song goes!

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Tom Photiou
Terry Sills

#28 by Bill Phelps , Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:31 am

I don't have time to service my projectors....nothing has changed for me....i'm still working....I was told business as usual.

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#29 by Tom Photiou , Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:31 am

Would you mind if i asked what you work in Bill?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#30 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:09 am

They have closed my place of work today until further notice, I've got jobs to do round the house and films to watch so should keep myself busy, It's going to feel a bit strange not going to work, Mark

Mark Mander

#31 by Robert Crewdson , Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 am

Last Wednesday I spent 4 hours going from one supermarket to another and unable to buy certain items in any of them. No doubt the same this week. I don't think the 2 metre distance will work when we queue up in the supermarket. Last week we were packed like sardines.

This is also bringing out the worst in people; yesterday ambulances were attacked. I think we can expect more crime with so many people with so much time on their hands. The Devil finds work for idle hands. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/125946...istol-southmead

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Last edited 03.24.2020 | Top

#32 by Bill Phelps , Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:04 pm

In home furniture repair...I started the day off working but they called us home this morning after I ran 2 stops....so I will now be off road for 2 and a half weeks so I am heading to the film room/basement shortly...I have a lot of catching up to do and now some time to do it. I'm glad they came to the conclusion that my job is not essential in these current times.

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

Last edited 03.24.2020 | Top

#33 by Tom Photiou , Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:44 pm

Robert, one of the problems this country has is being ponsy to scum. When people attack the police or ambulance crew they need a good seeing to, personally, nothing would make more happy than to see any attack anyone in the service get the beating of there life.

Bill, you and i both today, tomorrow is my last day until mid April at the earliest. As you say, i will be giving the film room a spring clean, everything will come out, the room cleaned and everything wiped down and sorted through.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#34 by Robert Crewdson , Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:37 pm

There is now a second deadly disease in China called Hantavirus. On a different note, don't forget the clocks go forward this weekend. So easy to forget when our mind is on other things.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#35 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:56 pm

It seems that so many killer viruses come out of that crap hole or around it, swine flu, bird flu,corona and now another one. When i commented about the dirty sods that eat everything no one else does it was taken down. Why do so many peoole hide from the facts. You eat weird crap and you will get killer bugs or viruses.when the uk put offal in cow feed to save money in the Thatcher years we developed mad cow disease ,CDC, which was awful. Eventualy the government learned from its massive mistake, over there they dont but worse, they try and hide it.now the whole world is paying and the world health organisation said we should be commending them on the way they handled it.
It beggers belief!!

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Robert Crewdson

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#36 by Robert Crewdson , Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:11 pm

Putting offal in cows food was interfering with nature, as cows are not meat eaters. Pity the light nights are nearly here, I won't get the opportunities to watch films on the big screen.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#37 by Tom Photiou , Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I know it sounds a bit rough and ready Robert, but could you get any light pieces of cardboard and make some sort of makeshift blinds that would stand against the windows?

Not too sure if any of this would help you,

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/262096654439?ch...IQaAvZAEALw_wcB

or this maybe?

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeK...iw=1680&bih=907

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 03.26.2020 | Top

#38 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:04 pm

Thanks for those links Tom. The problem is that the wife has cut her working hours; she used to get home around 10pm, now it's 7pm at latest. You are fortunate in that you have your special film room where you can watch without interuption. We didn't manage to move yet. Hopefully this lockdown will be finished in a few months. My hope is to have a dedicated room like yourself. I could watch films in another room, but I have always used the living room.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#39 by Del Phillipson , Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:00 pm

I use black garden membrane to blacken out the windows in my film room, 2/3 sheets thick, it works a treat :-)

Robert Crewdson likes this

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#40 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:03 pm

There was mention on the news about what might happen if people needing to use their cars for essential work or other needs. The question was what if their cars needed MOT testing while this lock down is in effect. I think it was proposed that the MOT could be deferred. The problem there is that if a vehicle has no current MOT then it renders the Insurance invalid. No one seemed to pick up on that point.
On a point that Robert made about a medication, here is a preventative measure that was passed down from my late father. As probably most of you are already aware, this virus is picked up through the nose predominantly. So whenever we leave the house we take a cotton bud, dip it into Vaseline and coat the inside of each nostril with the Vaseline.
We have been doing this for over two years, ever since my wife had a lung cancer operation. If she caught any respiratory virus it could prove fatal. Neither of us have caught even as much as a common cold even having mixed with people who were really suffering.
The theory is that the coating of Vaseline acts as a barrier to any infection. It works for us so definitely worth a try. What's to lose?
The only thing I would stress is that it must be done religiously every time you leave the house!

Terry Sills

#41 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 pm

Thanks for that tip Terry; I read that out to the wife, and immediately she told me to get the Vaseline out. We'll both use it when we go shopping on Wednesdays. It's impossible to stay home because online grocery delivery slots are not available for weeks. I get regular emails from Mike Coupe, Chairman of Sainsburys, and he said that they have had a year's worth of people registering for online deliveries in two weeks.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#42 by Tom Photiou , Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:05 pm

Terry, while you are correct regarding the insurance etc, if your MOT is due after March 31st, you will be given six months grace and it will not effect your road tax or insurance. HOWEVER, if your car runs of of MOT BEFORE the end of this month, (March), it will need to get one. It's only if the MOT is due after March 31st.
We confirmed that in work today, i work a car dealership which tomorrow, like many will be closing until at lease April 16th, personally i think it will be longer.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#43 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:08 pm

I hope it works for you Robert and I sincerely hope others will do the same. It's just a simple measure that might protect us all, and at such little expense. I have mentioned it to medics that we have encountered during my wife's treatment, but they mostly laughingly dismiss it.
I hope it goes viral in the fight against this corona virus. Wouldn't it be wonderful if such a simple measure could help defeat it.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou
Robert Crewdson sais Thank You!
Terry Sills

#44 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:30 pm

Tom
I can believe that the mot and road tax can be deferred by the government because they can control those things, but Insurance is a different matter! Is the government instructing insurance companies to ignore their conditions of liability? I don't think so. It is a clear condition in their policies that the vehicle must have a current mot. Otherwise the policy is void.

Terry Sills

#45 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:43 pm

Terry, your tip used to be recommended for people suffering from hayfever as the Vaseline traps the pollen. That simple tip could make all the difference; the N.H.S. currently have nothing to offer. I thought this was a bad time for the Government to go on holiday. Parliament is closed until 21st April.

I had a text to say that my local health centre is now closed to all registered patients. They will now operate as a Calm Clinic. I had to look that one up as I had never heard of that before. A Calm Clinic is for people who are panicky. what happened to the wartime spirit?

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Last edited 03.26.2020 | Top

#46 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:00 am

People - just do this simple prevention trick! What is there to lose and there is everything to gain! It costs almost nothing, but you must do it religiously- every time you leave the house. PASS IT ON!
I don't know how to make this viral, but if you do Then DO IT!
It could save many lives and stop the economy going into free fall.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Greg Perry
Terry Sills

#47 by Don Cunningham , Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:36 am

I'm working, an essential business, but my shop only has 9 folks which includes me...plenty of space between all. I don't mind, but being able to clean my film area would be nice. It has taken me a week to find a dozen eggs.

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#48 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:34 am

Terry, I had an email from my insurance company this morning. You can still do business online, and if you need to talk to someone the telephones are still manned. Maybe a skeleton crew, they didn't say. If you need to insure your car, maybe you can still do it online. They would have a record of it, even if you don't receive your new documents yet.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#49 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:24 pm

It's not a problem for me Robert. My insurance is up for renewal soon, but it will automatically renew unless I change company. Not worth the trouble with what's going on at the moment. I was just making the point that although the government has said that MOT's and Road Tax can be deferred, nothing has been said concerning Insurance liability. If your vehicle has no current MOT then your Insurance is invalid. The government obviously hasn't thought this through.

Terry Sills

#50 by Tom Photiou , Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:21 pm

I see what your saying but it has been agreed with insurance companies that between April 1st and June 31st the mot will not come into any lroblems with insurance .

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Thank the Lord !!
Projectors in films

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor