Filmguard - a review

#1 by Eivind Mork , Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:50 am

I finally got to test Filmguard on my films. Actually I drove to the cabin, forgot my new films and Filmguard. So I just had to drive home again to get it :-)

The bottle looks like this and comes with a set of instructions.

I used a cloth from Urbanski and my rewinders. It was easy and fast. The cloth looked like this when I was done.

I could not understand why it git brown at the edges. I realized that it was from the sound track and balance track. I assumed I had used too much pressure, but it did happen again when I used a lot less pressure. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this?

The first film I tried didn't have much stripes. But I could still see a difference. Here are screenshots before and after:

I then hit the film I own with most stripes. It was really annoying. The result was just plain amazing! I just couldn't believe it was so effective!

After the treatment it is no worse than most of my films. This will without a doubt be used more!

I failed to use rubber gloves as recommended. I will use that next time. I had a band aid on my thumb after cutting myself with a knife while fixing things on my cabin. It got Filmguard on it, and besides the fact that this is probably not the best treatment for a cut, the band aid got dissolved. AR least the glue did. I got a sticky mess on my thumb. I will use gloves next time. This is strong stuff. But it didn't smell too much as I was afraid of.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Vidar Olavesen and Del Phillipson
Mats Abelli sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: Filmguard - a review

#2 by Tyler Hatwell , Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:00 am

Excellent review..

Eivind Mork sais Thank You!
Tyler Hatwell  
Tyler Hatwell
Date registered 06.04.2016
home: East London
ThankYou 11

#3 by Mats Abelli , Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:22 am

Amazing result. I have never tried Filmguard. I have a bottle of Filmrenew and ona Cresclean,from CHC. Does anyone have experiences with these? I haven´t tried them yet.

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:01 am

Told Ya!!
Oh ye of little faith. Ha ha.

I never use gloves either nor open Windows or put breathing apparatus on like Darth Vadar!

It ain't nuclear fallout! 😀😀

At the end of the day mate, it is one of the few cleaners that can ship globally.
If it was riddled in carcinogenic toxins, this would not be possible.
It's very mild in use and not particularly pungent either.
Having worked with some of the crap I have over the decades, I reckon I could drink this stuff and still be alive to tell the tale!😀😀

Mats..Vidar uses Film Renew and I bought a bottle of Cresclean for Robert before he left here if you want to try and get in touch with him to ask him.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Eivind Mork and Del Phillipson
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:11 am | Top

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:06 am

btw Eivind,

Clean your T&J again applying more pressure and those black lines will go altogether.

Don't worry about a little Brown stripe residue on your cloth, all cleaners leave this behind and it doesn't remove the stripe. Just a tiny residue from each foot of film, that's all.

I've cleaned films over the years dozens of times and the stripe remains the same.

Now tell em about how much quieter that print runs through your machine and also how much smoother!

Jeez...I reckon I should be getting my next bottle free of charge from Jack Roe at this rate. I'm practically a salesman for them! 😁😁😁

Del Phillipson likes this
Eivind Mork sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:18 am | Top

#6 by Eivind Mork , Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:46 am

I didn't think about it running smoother. I was so fascinated with the stripes. I will check next time.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:50 am

Film Renew makes jumpy prints run normal on the picky Elmos ... That was the main reason I bought it

Del Phillipson likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#8 by Eivind Mork , Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:02 pm

Andrew: No I don't think it is very dangerous. But I don't like getting chemicals like this on my hands if I can avoid it. Same goes for paint removers and such. It all depends on how often you use it, I guess. And I agree it didn't smell very much.

But you failing to use an air filter breathing in chemicals at work, that explains a lot, haha. (Just kidding).

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#9 by Paul Browning , Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:18 pm

Looks like wd 40, does it smell like it ?. Results before and after look amazing. I have never lubricated any film I own, and never had the problem Vidar has with his Elmo,
I have some 2.22 still and this some claim does the same as film guard, perhaps I can find out my worst film with lines and make a comparison before and after.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Mats Abelli and Del Phillipson
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#10 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:20 pm

I cleaned my copy of French connection the other day and if the weather is nice as it was I attached my winder to one of those portable work benches and cleaned it in the open air.
Having been used to cleaning 35mm in the cinema I have never worn gloves,but I do wash hands immediately I have finished,I don't think it's done me any harm ummmmmm☠☠☠☠☠🐜🐜😜😜😜😜😜.....but If I am inside I certainly keep the area ventilated and keep the cloths ventilated till they dry.
I'm sure if you take sensible precautions all will be fine.......just don't drink or sniff it ....lol😂😂😂😂
📽📽📽📽📽

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Mats Abelli and Del Phillipson

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#11 by Tom Photiou , Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:18 pm

Have to say i seemed to have mastered using film guard now, not tooooooo much is the order of the day.
Who sells it in the big bottles now?

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#12 by Eivind Mork , Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:39 pm

It did indeed smell like WD40. I wonder if that is indeed the main ingredient. If not they must share many of the ingredients.

And now when you said ventilation I started to think about how stupid I was. I put the cloth in a plastic bag as soon as I was done. Now I started to think about self combustion. Not the smartest I have done. It was not much of the cloth so I think it will be OK. I hope I don't find the cabin on ruins next weekend :-) Next time I will cut a little piece of the cloth off, use that and burn it when I am done. What do you guys do?

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#13 by Eivind Mork , Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Tom: I bought this from e_s_photographics on eBay.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#14 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:09 am

I use finger gloves (just cover the fingers), can't use full gloves they bring me out in a rash, always open a window when cleaning and cut cloths up into strips then down into segments. Once I have used a strip back and front I bin them, I also have a couple of very soft cloths I use just to take off any excess fluid, seems to work a treat :-).

Must admit Filmguard is amazing stuff, such a shame Paul won't be stocking it any more.

Del Phillipson

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:29 am

The best and original supplier of this stuff now here in the UK is Jack Roe Cinema Supplies . This is where the full sized 900ml bottles can be purchased from.

http://www.cinemasupplies.co.uk/

http://cinemasupplies.co.uk/ProductDescr...hp?prod=CFGUARD

I'm determined to get my freebie!

You'll Live Forever BTW Del!

For those who were curious to find out what this stuff consists of, the nearest detailed explanation I could find from the Patent legislation is this;

The present invention provides a non-evaporating lubricant and cleaner formulation that protects all types of film by forming a slick protective coating that reduces or eliminates dirt, scratches and static charges. An embodiment of the present invention comprises an organic mixture of greater than ninety-five percent (95%) aliphatic hydrocarbons. A preferred embodiment of the present invention comprises aliphatic petroleum naphtha, aliphatic petroleum distillates and petroleum base oil.

So a great deal of petrol it would seem! Now then... 4 star or Unleaded?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:52 am | Top

#16 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:10 pm

Glad I don't smoke , you could alway's keep a bottle of this in the car in case you run out, but then again it's probably cheaper to use petrol to clean your films

Del Phillipson

#17 by Tyler Hatwell , Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:29 pm

How does it stop film from jumping? I thoight most film jump was caused by problems with sprocket holes?

Tyler Hatwell  
Tyler Hatwell
Date registered 06.04.2016
home: East London
ThankYou 11

#18 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:25 pm

It lubricates the surface, smoother transfer through the gate

Works wonders

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:27 pm

It won't cure missing or torn sprocket holes Tyler, but it will lubricate and relax dry and brittle acetate prints as well as polyester ones.

It is jitter rather jumping at the gate it will have a desired effect upon.
This is besides vastly reducing the running noise at the gate as many other similar solutions also do.

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:28 pm | Top

#20 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:56 pm

It doesn't like tape splices though

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Martin Dew
Del Phillipson

#21 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:10 pm

Especially Hama type splice tapes.

Having said that, the adhesion with or without filmguard on these type of splice tapes now, isn't what it used to be.

I do ok now I've switched to the CIR / Jackro combo.
I've found I don't even HAVE to use the press roller now if I don't want to, though of course, I would still recommend using one on all finished tape splices.

Andrew Woodcock

#22 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:28 am

It's amazing how it transformed your "The Mouse Comes to Dinner" print!

Eivind Mork likes this
Timothy Duncan
Last edited Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:29 am | Top

#23 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:43 am

Just to conclude to an earlier point, I used to smoke like a trooper and many is the time I had a fag (cigarette to all you Americans you understand! ) on the go throughout the entire cleaning process. It doesn't self combust or set the house alight, this stuff!!

You'd have to work damned bloody hard to come to any real harm using the amounts we use in any one instance, with stuff like this.

Sleep well everyone and don't have nightmares. We have enough real things to concern us in our lives without inducing new artificial ones!

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:44 am | Top

#24 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:10 am

What I always do now is give a new film a damn good clean, then replace any splices using the very very trusty CIR splicer, drying out the part film to be spliced at the same time, works a treat, never had any further problems doing this.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Vidar Olavesen
Del Phillipson

#25 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:24 am

Great professional methodology there Del!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:25 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Finally have 35mm in my basement!!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor