RE: I am Fuming

#76 by Tom Photiou , Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:11 pm

David it certainly is hassle, expensive at that. I must admit it was the bauer or my first DVD/Blu-ray projector. i am a little apprehensive at what the outcome may be. Having tonight heard the bauer and elmo side by side the elmo certainly has much better sound so do i need this hassle , i dont think so. I certainly would say if you have machines that are doing the job stick with them.
Originally i was going to get the bauer and sell one of my 1200HDs to reduce my stock. That won't be happening now.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#77 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:12 pm

Everyday can be like this in one capacity or another David in my world of Super 8mm.

We work progressively through the issues in a methodical manner, try and use logic at all times and hey Presto! Another month of film magic hitting the screen in the manner we want!

Hard work and extremely challenging at times, but it's what we love and that first proper screening after a successful day of restoration makes it all worthwhile for me personally!

Tom may very well feel his money is better spent on a decent PTAX 200 or equivalent given his experiences with all of this at this current time.

All goes full circle though I found.

Either way, we wish him well with his refund and future ventures.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:18 pm | Top

#78 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:53 am

Yes Tom and Andrew this hobby can drive you nuts at times with the problems and expense involved in order to keep
it going. Tom I am with you there at this stage " stick with what you know ". Sometimes THAT dream projector that
had all the rave reviews in "Movie Maker" magazine or some other, turns out that it is not all that is supposed to be.
More so now since the machine parts are wearing out and spares are not available new.
I will stick with my Fumeo 9119 Super 8mm , Eumigs and 16mm Bell and Howells. That is unless something better comes along
that is significantly BETTER and WORKS to spec.

David Hardy

#79 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:20 pm

It seems this particular machine of Tom's has left him with a bitter taste that's indeed hard to swallow.

Now onto some better news regarding these,
Parts can be found for these still very easily for the most part and the ones that really matter with these machines, namely the magnetic heads and cam and claw follower and all the electronics including the chipsets used can be purchased brand new!

Not bad at all for 2015.
Tom's machine is without any shadow of doubt very repairable, it's just a question of politics on this one because it was purchased from a dealer at considerable outlay by Tom.

All of this I can fully understand, but the machine will no doubt be made 100% operational somewhere down the line. Then, I'm sure a different owner will, no doubt,wax lyrical about it one day in the future in the manner I already do with these.

As I've said before, one of the ultimate Acid tests on any worthy machine, is whether or not you can play your films on your favourite machines forwards as well as backwards for recording purposes, should you ever want or need to.
Not many can reliably, without at some point doing even a small amount of damage to a film. These two can, can yours?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:29 pm | Top

#80 by Tom Photiou , Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:07 pm

UPDATE.

My return e mail today has quite correctly allowed me to return the Bauer for a full refund. I cannot fault there customer care,
They do state that it worked perfectly when it left,(this was also what was said before it went back for the repair), but i cannot keep having it repaired at the cost of the machine.
What i will do is put a link here to a you-tube short which i will quickly put together in a minute to show you all the problem but also i will put to bed any doubts of the sound output power of the ElmoHD.
I had to chuckle as this is what i was asked by the company, and i quote, (or should i say copy n paste),
Also i've got a question, you mentioned you have a Elmo 1200 HD in your possession that you use for stereo sound right? Is it possible that your films are optical sound instead of magnetic? This would be a possibility why track 2 does not work.
We have checked the Bauer thoroughly here before it went to you since we wanted for you to have a perfectly working machine, and here track 2 worked perfect.

This machine has,(allegedly had a new circuit board put in, as you will see by the video short, i am doubting that, or the heads are knackard. All i can say is thank goodness i tried a stereo film or it may have been months before realising i wasted my money. There is no mention as to why the lens was not sorted despite me asking more than once.
However, money back is a lesson learned for me, stick with the most reliable projector out there, (or in my dreams a Fumeo 9119)

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#81 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:16 pm

Now for a stupid question ... I have ST-1200D MO and ST-1200HD MO ... Will the D not play track 2 at all? Because on my ST-1200HD, there's no stereo out like the GS. How do you get stereo? I use my GS-1200 for stereo prints, but if the ST-1200HD MO does it, that would be great

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#82 by Tom Photiou , Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:22 pm

Not a stupid question at all Vidar,
it doesn't reproduce the separate stereo tracks, what the 1200s can do is play back one/two or both 1&2 tracks together as mono. Through a good stereo amp, (i use a superb but very old Pinoeer aamp which gives 1st class sound.
It did with the Bauer as well but nowhere near as powerful or bassy as the Elmo.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#83 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:25 pm

You wouldn't be disappointed with a Fumeo Tom, it just works, has a powerful motor that handles 2500' of film, no sweat,
has a 200 w lamp that puts more light on screen than the GS, had to smile when Paul said about sound quality, it replays
tracks beautifully, individual bass & treble plus a filter to alter the sound to suit the film, opt.snd, wow & flutter? hardly
it has a good thick capstan and a flywheel that weighs in at about 2 kg, a 25 watt amp. no modernising of tracks, 'cos their ain't any, just metal rollers and nothing to go wrong, just a straight forward replay machine, like a good 16mm, it just works like a dream everytime.
The only faults I found were the switch for changing speeds from 18-24, the thing was catching the belt, so removed it, change now
with the flick of a pencil, the other is light scatter through the lamphouse grill, Eumig had the best answer to that with their double louvre, I'll make a cover sometime to sort that.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#84 by Tom Photiou , Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:33 pm

I saw a great magazine review on this machine and fell in love with it, then i saw the price tag, hehe that was out for the count.
But who know's. one day.
The video will be on here very shortly.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#85 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:53 pm

My DCT plays back in stereo, and records in stereo, stereo output is through separate amp, and is two track mixed mono through internal amp. I have a lovely German print of wait for it, The Smurfs and the Magic Flute, this has two tracks and the sound is equal on both tracks, the colour is just stunning I acquired it in a bundle of films, I just wish some of my other prints had such nice colour.

Steve Carter

#86 by Paul Browning , Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:56 pm

I wish I could smile Hugh with my fumeo 9119, the sound is very low and not then as good as yours, but didn't bill parsons fix your sound because it was low??. Maybe
a trip to bill is needed, at this moment its not as good as st800 I have. IT is great old but clonky machine, very simple set up, all metal parts. I'm surprised its 25watts
output, I would like to check that at some point.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#87 by Tom Photiou , Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:59 pm

Here is my very Scilly video so you can see the problem, bare in mind it turned up first time not working and the lens had a bubble within the glass, now its back still not working,(although allegedly perfect, 100% when it left them) but also the same bubbly lens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McKQf2OhbCw

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#88 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi Paul, no Bill fixed it because I let a local repair shop sort out a problem, made it worse, so off it went to Bill, it always had
good sound output, I was using the 250 watt lamps, Bill said stick to 200w, as the higher wattage lamp was affecting power to Opt.
Which I have, and no complaints. 25 watts over 4ohm.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:04 pm | Top

#89 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:07 pm

You have proved your point Tom; on the Bauer I didn't like that the front arm is so far back; it looks like the film is in danger of rubbing on the casing; probably not, but I don't know why they had it in that position.

Robert Crewdson

#90 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:07 pm

I noticed Tom when track two was only was on the LEDs were still flashing, so the sound is at the pre amp stage, maybe a power amp fault.

Steve Carter

#91 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:08 pm

Send the machine to Bill Paul, he will send back something that will loosen the plaster on the walls, all 25 watts of it. I replay through
the Craven speaker, which is 20 w, on 1-10, number 2 is deafening.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:09 pm | Top

#92 by Tom Photiou , Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:15 pm

The LED's are only the film counter, just a flashy LED version of the belt driven counter on Elmo's

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#93 by Paul Browning , Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:16 pm

Oh right, I knew it had gone to bill, so he corrected what they thought you wouldn't notice, I see. I will get it to bill then Hugh at some point. The rest of it is not bad, I would like
to use it more than I do, but the sound just puts me off. The heads look good and will take the huge long play German reels JUST, that are 3,000 ft.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#94 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:18 pm

If those spools can fit on Paul, that motor will handle them, it is powerful, just make sure you tighten the spindle nut for take up.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#95 by Paul Browning , Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:41 pm

YES Hugh, simple little thumbscrew to stop it stuttering on take up, how simple is that.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#96 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:57 pm

I'd like a 9119 just for my optical prints one day. Either that or a SH30 but they are even harder to find than a Fumeo!

Andrew Woodcock

#97 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:21 am

Incidentally for the benefit of Steve, Tom's description of the LED digital display on the T610 is somewhat minimalist to say the least on this one.

The display has to be a digital one because one of the advanced features of this particular model is that it uses an optical tachometer from a rotating wheel mounted to the main drive shaft to feed back to the in built microprocessor the projectors frame position at any given instance, roughly as a resolver or encoder does for a servo motor used in industry.

The projector at the push of a button can be automatically pre programmed to find a start and finish position for any section of a film.
It is a useful tool in use for making precision recordings
The projector stops at the very frame you set it to and rewinds back to the start of the pre programmed scene at 30fps.

Obviously an ordinary analogue counter, being purely a mechanical device, could have never have brought about this feature nor can it be used for anything other than counting up the frames since the start of a film.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:29 am | Top

#98 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:17 am

Is this the same as the eumig 940?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#99 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:33 am

I haven't owned a 940 Tom but I have both read up and seen roughly what it can do, so I'd say yes, more or less in that it allows you to edit scenes in films to add the soundtrack very very accurately.

I think with the S940 it was more to do with pre planning a set of dubbing sequences including the levels plus fade in fade out sound on sound etc etc though the Bauer does pre plan this also by selecting the "hard" or "soft" options for recording sequences.

The main issue surrounding the S940 is the Motorola chipset that controls the entire machine, its brain for want of a better term, cannot be sourced any longer unfortunately.

Equally they were known to breakdown from this standpoint after many years of use. When they do, none of the projector functions will work, not even the simple operations.
The same does not apply to the Bauer. All electronic parts including the chipsets can still be found very easily.

It is generally accepted now in the collecting community that the S938 is the highest specification Eumig projector to buy now in this era because of the above issues.
The 938 aside of the programming features and an f1.3 lens instead of a f1.2 is otherwise the very same machine with the same amplifier but none of the problems caused by the Motorola chipset because it doesn't use one.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:25 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
the haunting 1963

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor