RE: I am Fuming

#51 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:06 pm

I actually agree with Paul Adsett on that one Paul. I believe the best soundstage of any stereo machine is the one fitted to the S938 / 40.
I've heard the GS, I've heard the rest, aside from a Fumeo 9145 but though the Bauer, Beaulieu sound is very good, I believe the Eumig model mentioned just wins. Not as powerfull as the Beaulieu Stereo amplifier but better on low end frequencies.

The Beaulieu sounds excellent when placed through a graphic equalizer and seperate amplifier though.

Also as a measure of what things should sound like on track 2 of a T610, if you still have the video I sent to you, this was taken entirely using track 2 soundtrack only, as I demonstrated to you using the newest 610 I have with the fault on track 1 side.
It's only a tiny section admittedly where you are able to hear the soundtrack but should give you some indication of what to expect from a good head and amp on balance side only.

I can send you more if it would help?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:20 pm | Top

#52 by Tom Photiou , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:18 pm

Of course having paid out over 400 i dont intend to any testing myself of any kind .
Its faulty, its gone back to the expert's, its come back not fixed so its broke & now its just outside the warranty, however, it wasn't fixed in warranty and the lens is the same one with a bubble within its glsses.
Its true the 1200 isn't stereo but it plays back both tracks and it blows the sound out on both tracks on all my films making the Bauer faulty.
My only problem now is even it was fixed how long till it goes again? I do have to have something i can rely on or at least get repaired when its sent away.
For me its a nightmare as an earlier comment said, if it arrives not working where will it end?
Its like motor cars, some people like Vauxhall, some hate them, its the same with our projectors. As i said, i dont dislike the machine, its very impressive to look at and its silent running is superb, you forget theres a projector in the room when its running, but all that plastic doesn't make for a long life. And if its stereo but cant seem to play with equal volume on both tracks like the Elmo does then it isnt for me.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

Last edited 10.04.2015 | Top

#53 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:27 pm

The chassis is of course cast just like any other machine.
The plastic is just the outer case which aside from a little reasonance from the internal MONITOR speakers at high internal amp volume levels, doesn't make it any the worse in my humble opinion.
With all metal bodied projectors like the Beaulieu for example, it becomes extremely heavy to lift to some people and is always subject to paint scuffs etc. Which of course is not the case on plastic shelled projector bodies.

Andrew Woodcock

#54 by Paul Browning , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:27 pm

I've never heard the Eumig machine Andrew but would like to make a like for like shoot out one day HA HA, our perception of what is good and bad is definitely a matter
of opinion especially with sound. These stereo machines are at the edge of capabilities, I just wish Tom's outcome would have been better and for all to celebrate for him.
I feel sure the outcome will amicable for both parties.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#55 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:28 pm

Elmo has it's fans, but really, you shouldn't have to modify anything.

Paul Browning likes this
Robert Crewdson

#56 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:34 pm

As Steve says, the seller will say it was alright when it left here, the Irish said that about the "Titanic", and it wasn't was it?

Hugh Thompson Scott

#57 by Tom Photiou , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:40 pm

not so much modifying as improving.
When the Elmo 1200s got to the age where the rubber went on the shutters the parts were no longer available to order. I had the 24FPS clutch rollers with the rubbers re-manufactured and mine were of a better quality, even tested in a copy of FFTC magazine buy the great Keith Wilton and tested with thumbs up. The ones i sold will keep other Elmos rolling for many years to come, especially the wheel rubber itself as the compounds used were modern materials designed for longer harder wearing. Again, cars are often called back for modifications, there's nothing new there.
On the Bauer plastic, i refer much to the plastic components used within the framing and claw mechanism, this does of course make it run quieter than the all metal parts used on Elmos and other machines. But you are right about the out come. I know the company is top notch and they have been very friendly and kept me in the loop, its just a lot of money to spend on something you look forward to so much and not only does it not work correctly it gets sent away for two weeks and comes back still not working.
Thanks to me wanting to view a stereo film a month after i got it otherwise it would have been too late.
Lesson number one, always check everything on day one,everything!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#58 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Been there, got the T shirt, which should read ELMO on the front of it.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#59 by Tom Photiou , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:47 pm

Good chap Hugh

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#60 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:48 pm

In the ideal world, we could all chip in and buy our own 3d printer and make our own parts when needed, if only it were that simple, or is it?. I haven't clue what it takes to design and print parts. Somebody tell me It's wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be great to knock parts out, when you think it's the end of the world when you're beloved machine needs the most smallest of parts but without it, It's just a piece of scrap or an expensive ornament.

Steve Carter

#61 by Tom Photiou , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:50 pm

No doubt 3D printing will certainly be a hell of a thing. At present its too early to say how long the parts will last though.
I'm wishing i used the dosh to buy more films now hehe

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#62 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:54 pm

So Tom, what you're saying is these parts that are on sale could be a waste of time and money, because no one yet knows the life expectancy of them under normal wear and tare of a machine running a couple of features per week.

Steve Carter

#63 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:57 pm

It surely would Steve, I feel sympathy for Tom though, it is frustrating when a piece of kit, something you were really looking forward to
plays up, annoying doesn't cover it. it is doubly bad when returned it comes back with no improvement. Chances are it will be something simple, possibly a loose connection somewhere. Tom has that choice to make, e can't make it for him, only advise, it would be nice to
be able to wave a magic wand, Hairy Pooter style, and all is well, but that can't be done here, the nearest thing I know to a wizard is
Bill Parsons, he no doubt would be able to sort it out, but that is more cost for Tom.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#64 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:57 pm

The 3D parts currently manufactured by Edwin serve us all really well I feel without us having to worry about buying our own design software then learning how to use it then buying an industrial sized 3D printer. Ha ha.

Don't expect the same smooth surface finish on these parts as your originals. By the nature of the process they have a rough texture and only by machining or sanding or filing these parts could you ever envisage them being used for film guidance and the likes just yet.

Ok for a cam follower or a reel spindle but not for use against your film edges just yet I'd say.

I've bought quite a few parts from Edwin of the ones outlined and no complaints from me I have to say to have as spares for the above mentioned useage.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:03 am | Top

#65 by Tom Photiou , Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:58 pm

no not at all Steve, i do believe they are a god send. Its still early days yet but no doubt what so ever parts that have not been available years appear now to be able to be re made. The actual possibilities can make the mind run away. it will all be down to the materials and of course how they are copied, for example, are they printed from scratch or do you need a good original to copy? I dont know. Its certainly the future.
I see one day going into a parts department for car parts and certain items will simply be made there and then on the 3D printer to order???? I think its a very good thing.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#66 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:02 pm

Tom, why not put this to them, you send it to the Great Bill, he repairs it, and bills them.

Steve Carter

#67 by Tom Photiou , Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:04 pm

I was thinking that but if, and only if, the heads are gone i cant see them paying out £250 for a new set. But i may try that.
I think i would rather send it to Bill if just to keep it within this country to avoid the long journey.
To be honest with you all, i know i'm ranting a bit but im not suddenly against the Bauer, its just a big bad disappointing start, at the end of the day anyone who saw my "look at my new toy" thread on a forum long away you will know how pleased i was when i unpacked it.
Like everyone i hate faulty goods, and i hate it even more when it goes back and is returned almost the same.
I will see how the e-mails i get tomorrow pan out.At the end of the day i am happy that the Van Ek boys are very caring of there customers. (i hope)

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#68 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Thats a very very good idea Steve. Bill has already said he can repair a similar fault on mine and he is a big fan of these projectors himself. He uses one for his own films.

I am reluctant to ever send a projector again with our couriers so I'd rather try and find the fault myself when I have the time to spend a good few days on it or alternatively just find another main board which is a straightforward swap then. Very simple job.

My only reservation with your suggestion is that Tom is reluctant to see if he has one good head between the two of them.
If he doesn't...then that's £500 straight away to put it back to how Tom wants it.

I doubt even Edwin would take that level of loss as charitable as he is!

These projectors cost nearly as much as a GS 1200 when new at the end of new machine sales.
If you wanted to buy one new now based on inflation I would imagine it would cost around £2000. So I don't suppose we can complain too much at the price of the new parts. The fact some are still available for these is real plus point in any machine I will ever own this time around in the hobby.
Any you may rescue from other machines will invariably have some wear to them already.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:21 pm | Top

#69 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:12 pm

3D printing is fairly new, who knows what material they will be able to use in a few years.

Robert Crewdson

#70 by Paul Browning , Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:16 pm

The 3D parts are good copies and will no doubt help out those who can no longer get the part for there projector, however I would hope that by now an improved design
would be the way to go, with replacement parts. I saw this a lot in the disco industry, when the Chinese copies of a martin lighting effect that cost £2,000 when new
were flooding the market as less money, unfortunately the chines had done such a good job of reverse engineering them they copied in all the faults of the original
fixture, and broke down just the same !!!!!. I would hope that if someone on here can see an improvement to made to a projector in any way, they would share it with
us on here, technology is great but don't just use it to mass produce something if its no better than the part your copying.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#71 by Tom Photiou , Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Hey its a pity we cant upload short video's on here,
I have just done a test which really shows the problem. I wont do the recording test as it seems a bit pointless.
I have the Derann 200 footer of playground skirmish from the matrix, its a scope stereo print with superb sound.
I placed it on the Bauer with track 1 switched off. I switched on and got absolutely no sound what so ever through the built in speaker with the volume on max or the amp once it was connected up.
I then immediate fed it through the Elmo with only track 2 switched on, my goodness you should have heard it, the quality of the 2nd track is just about the same as T1 and i hardly had any volume on it, perfect, so for me to be told by the repairer's that the 2nd tracks on super 8 are, hang on let me paste it here again,.,,,

The track 2 sound isnt very loud and that is due to the way the sound head is created and that stereo super 8 tracks aren't of an high enough quality to make the change in sound all that great, utter rubbish.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#72 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:23 pm

You can do links to youtube if you want

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#73 by Tom Photiou , Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:25 pm

good idea, i may try and put it together tomorrow but hopefully you can see what i am saying, it was a very simple test.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#74 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Exactly Tom, as long as magnetic tape is of good quality, and is under good pressure to the head and the tape speed is high enough it really doesn't matter how wide the tape is. Didn't they use magnetic wire in black box recorders.

Steve Carter

#75 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 pm

Bloody hell. Its stories like this that makes me think of giving up the hobby for good and build a model railway and stick with my Hi-Fi
systems. What a bloody hassle.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
the haunting 1963

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor