RE: What are your most recent film purchases?

#176 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:04 pm

It is a great film in 'scope, not a big seller, I still have my print, one of those rare films that take you on an adventure, like
"Journey to the Centre of the Earth", "The Lost World" etc, a really nice film from Fox.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#177 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:32 pm

As an additional, I was successful in a purchase of a much wanted title thanks to Vidar, who was the lynchpin in
obtaining Guilio Questi's very violent western "Django Kill", with Tomas Milian. Without Vidar, I would have lost out,
my thanks to a great lad.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#178 by Paul Browning , Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:08 am

Hi Hugh, what's that film Anna Caulder like ?, not a spaghetti western is it .

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#179 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:21 am

Hi Paul, Hannie Caulder is a joint British Euro western, a good stab at the genre, Raquel is gorgeous, the rest of the cast excel
it falls between two stools, a comedy and violence, but Robert Culp is superb as the bounty hunter/teacher to the female lead,
if the film has faults, I have yet to find 'em, a great evenings entertainment, I've nailed the Walton standard & "scope 4x400s
plus the 16mm print.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:22 am | Top

#180 by Paul Browning , Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:31 am

I knew you'd know Hugh, whats the scope version by Walton like?, is it a low fade print Hugh ?. Is jack elam and ernie borgnine in it ?

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#181 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:48 am

Hi Paul, the versions by Walton are both good colour, I know Mr Lail on the other forum has a 'scope print for sale.
The film on the whole, is a romp, the cast are enjoying themselves, but some great action, even Sir Christopher Lee,
what more can you ask? Borgnine, Elam and Martin are in there too, I'd have to check my prints for stock, but colour is great.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:50 am | Top

#182 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:30 am

The one for sale is a very nice print seemingly.

Andrew Woodcock

#183 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:28 am

Hannie Caulder is one of the most underrated Westerns going. It wasn't greatly received upon it's release press probably because its a British made western and at the time i think the Americans didn't think anyone else could make them, (apart from the Italians). I covered this and other westerns in a recent film for the collector magazine, i often think looking on the forums it clearly shows how many people in the hobby dont subscribe to the magazine.
We have this on 4 x 400 footer for many years and i am still on the look out for a good scope feature, but only if its on the Agfa stock which Walton used for many of there films thankfully.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#184 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:32 am

I only have the full screen version, but still a good watch. I was at a meeting on Friday with our club and got a few cheapos. Haven't checked them yet, but there was a couple of Batman's (400') which I paid some 8 GBP for both and The Last Command (Derann 400') which I got for 3.50. Also some 16mm cartoons, but can't remember titles. Will hopefully check them soon. Also got a big bag which I am trading with a friend here. Some not complete, sadly, so will see what's usable when I get through them. Now I want to go buy a bag of power, as I am so tired that I can't start my film watching :-(

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#185 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:12 pm

I will be the first to admit Tom, that I don't subscribe to any anymore.
I had the first few editions of Film Collector sent but I found I wasn't AS drawn to the magazine as I always was with F.F.T.C.

I don't have acres of spare room for magazines so I keep tightly hold of all of my movie maker mags and of course the F.F.T.C. ones as well as other Derann catalogues and used sales lists etc.

What other magazines do you still collect Tom?

I hope you soon begin to get some energy back Vidar. Quite besides film watching, no one here wants to hear of you feeling lethargic most of the time. We all here wish you fighting fit and well very very soon as with all of our members here!

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:18 pm | Top

#186 by John Armer ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:13 pm

I picked up a mint copy of Iver's 2 x 400ft DIAMOND MERCENARIES at the Farnworth Film Fair last weekend. It cost the princely sum of £10 and the colours on both reels are perfect. I'm not always as lucky as this!

John Armer

#187 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:19 pm

Great find John! None of us ever are BTW! :))

Did you get any others while you were there?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:21 pm | Top

#188 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:52 pm

Anyone have photos from that meeting? Would love to see ... Was it a lot of people there?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#189 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:12 pm

I am saving my pennies for the BFCC in April.
I hope I can make it.

David Hardy

#190 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:15 pm

One of my best buy's recently was from Blackpool, it was a 400" "The lady vanishes" starring Cybill Shepherd and Captain Mainwaring (Arthur Lowe). Not seen this before as it was in scope so for a tenner gave it a punt. When I got home and gave it a clean, straight away I knew it wasn't alone and it "had friends" (City Slickers 2), as something was spliced to the front of it, also the colours looked great.

The jawdropper was when I viewed the film for the first time as the friend happened to be the scope trailer for Star Wars Return of the Jedi, perfect colours and mint then the actual film which is now the best 400" I have, the colours are perfect and the print is very sharp and mint condition too. I was one very happy collector, Del.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli
Del Phillipson

#191 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:17 pm

I have the 2 Walton 200 footers of Hannie Caulder still sealed in their shrinkwraping.
I may get round to watching them sometime.
I wonder if the colour is okay ?

David Hardy

#192 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:33 pm

John that is a great bargain you got there.
Andy, i do only collect the film magazine these days, i will be gearing up soon with my Qs and As for the next edition so hopefully will be in touch soon.
Have to say the old FFTC magazine was a winner, especially in the 80s, i do miss those days

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#193 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:43 pm

Me too Tom, me too!
I guess it was a whole lot easier then putting out a magazine that often contained several new feature releases within that same month.

No shortage of reviews back then, that's for sure!

Andrew Woodcock

#194 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:59 pm

Hannie Caulder bought new almost as soon as released by Walton and the scope version too. Good fun to watch. The only problem with Walton was they messed with the credits.

Just got Hopperty Goes To Town & Gulliver's Travels

EDIT Hannie Caulder £89 new.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

Last edited 02.14.2016 | Top

#195 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:59 pm

I'm concerned at our mate Vidar being listless and tired, he over taxes himself and I hope he isn't lifting heavy gear about.
Vidar, if you are on here, please rest yourself, these screens are tiring for your eyes. Get a bit of rest amigo, you need it,
just get that little noggin laid in the pillow, and a good nights bo bo's, you just look after yourself, health is first, all else secondary.

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott

#196 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:13 am

I'm surprised at you Andrew, not supporting a mag devoted to our hobby. As you know Andrew, it still has Keith Wilton and co in his centre spot in the mag, apart from some great contributions from fellow collectors like Tom, Barry and a lot of other folk, even yours truly. I liked FFTC too, but it was never the same after Dave Worrall, but to be fair, that was in Derann's Heyday, Derek said the mag had to stand on its own feet, I don't believe that, the paper used said it all. Anyway, you are doing yourself a real disservice, the mag is
nicely laid out, some lovely posters in colour and contributions from all your buddies on here and more. Phil does a sterling job, the guy
is not in the best of health, but finds time to put a really fine mag together, written by collectors, for collectors. In this day and age, surely this publication deserves support from members.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#197 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:20 am

Yes you are probably right Hugh. I should subscribe really. As said, from the first few I read, there wasn't too much of interest to me if I'm honest, but no doubt some editions would be right up my street depending on topics covered. I like mags that cover the technical aspect of our machinery and hobby in general rather than just lots of chat of who directed what film and so on.
Similarly, I am far more of a Super 8mm fan than I would ever be of the whole industry in general. Unlike people like David here, I have no connections, experience or affinity to 35mm cinema or for that matter 9.5mm, so that is where Derann's magazine promoting their own products solely on Super 8mm, suited someone like me down to the ground.

I did purchase the first 3 when they came out as I used to subscribe to Phil's mailing list, but since he just sends the updated list to us now online, I simply have never bothered subscribing since.

I would be interested in seeing the index from some of the later editions to see if there are articles that would particularly interest me since the first three.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:23 am | Top

#198 by Paul Browning , Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:06 pm

FORBIDDEN PLANET, MY LATEST PURCHASE BLOODY HELL THAT WAS HARD WORK.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#199 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:12 pm

I'm sure you've just found that missing Euro Lottery ticket Paul! Ha ha.
Well done pal, yet another Top title there!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:13 pm | Top

#200 by Paul Browning , Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:31 pm

I thought it was going much higher than it did Andrew, although this time I was determined not to go over the top, I put in my max bid, but no one else bid ??.
It was on my list of wants, but I was prepared to wait for the right price one to come along, this time I got lucky. Most of his films are first generation prints,
because of some the rare one's he had. Also what is more important, he has a fumeo 9119 xenon projector ???, so they not damaged prints, he some serious
collector, god knows what else he has in those vaults. I'll bet good money ( if I got any left !!!!) that he's got Robocop, there somewhere. I guess I will have a
few features for sale soon, watch this space.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

Nostalgia 😁👍
Another funny, Mickey Mouse, Runaway brain

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor