RE: What are your most recent film purchases?

#151 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:25 pm

Vidar, don't you give up hope, it is suprising what pops up.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott

#152 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:30 pm

I am busy trying to complete the Disney collection for the time being, then attempts to search the globe for a decent first reel or full feature of Robocop will be stepped up.

"Now I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:32 pm | Top

#153 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Robocop is a great action film. Wouldn't mind a print of that myself. And Terminator, Starman and many of the great 70 and 80's films

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#154 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:38 pm

Got my Raid on Entebbe today ... 800'+2x600' ... Hope to see it during the weekend

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#155 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:10 am

Today, a very nice print arrived of the Disney 200ft short, 'MOTOR MANIA' . The colour is excellent and it's a very entertaining film. Hadn't seen it before.

Jonathan Trevithick

#156 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:55 pm

In the past week or so, I've received a 200' standard 8 silent/subtitled reel from Ken Films of "Seein' Red" starring Red Skelton and a sealed (never opened) 200' super 8 color/sound reel from Walt Disney Home Movies of "Bambi Falls in Love". I just watched the latter one. Sadly, the color has faded over the years in it's protective wrap. At least the print had not shrunk and ran steady in the machine.

Timothy Duncan

#157 by Paul Browning , Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:20 am

TERMINATOR 2, AND FANTASTIC VOYAGE, I MISSED THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SIMBAD, BUT I ACTUALLY WANTED JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, BUT HE DIDN'T HAVE IT.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#158 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:13 pm

Good shout there Paul, Fantastic Voyage is very rare, bet that will look great on the big screen.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#159 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:04 pm

T2 will no doubt be none too shoddy also!

What about Die Hard 3 Paul? Did you land that one also?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:05 pm | Top

#160 by Paul Browning , Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:26 pm

Hello Andrew, yes mate, its on its way to me. I will upload some screen shots of all 3 when get chance, t2 is with me, fantastic voyage is next, followed closely by die hard 3.
There has been quite a bit of choice words on the other forum about "how fair" it was to put them on ebay and still take offers from else where, but I say this, Everyone had the
chance to make an offer to Alberto, if you wanted that much, he was very open about that on several occasions, but still some chose to abuse him on the forum, sour grapes
mate. I found him very good to deal with, and very polite at all times to me, at no time did I think that no one else had contacted him, I know they did, he told me so. I didn't
get the 7th voyage, but could have got it, I wanted Jason and the Argonauts really, although this looked a fantastic print. There are no guarentee's you will win anything on
ebay regardless of how much you are willing to pay or how late you bid, in my case I just short circuited the system, I 've lost loads of things on Ebay like this, that's life.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

Last edited 01.31.2016 | Top

#161 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:57 pm

Yes, it's a situation like I said that will see two valid sides to an argument once a film has bidders on an auction site. I myself have won things in a similar manner but equally I have on many occasions, been left the disappointed one on many occasions when a collector has come in and offered huge sums which I didn't choose to match or in some cases, didn't even get the opportunity.

At the end of the day, it is very much the case that if you have infinite sums to spend on film, you are going to get the pick of the crop more often than not, and that is of course, the nature of the hobby nowadays with an extremely limited supply chain of the very best titles.

It's great that these films are making there way back "home" again, one way or another! I'm doing my bit and you Paul, are certainly doing yours!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:01 am | Top

#162 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:29 am

Well done Paul, you'll enjoy "Fantastic Voyage" in 'scope, it wasn't a big seller, in fact it put Derek off Sci-Fi films, I'd just wished
he'd released "Planet Of The Apes" in 'scope, but lets be thankful for what we have, we have all been blessed with good releases
to all tastes, but well done on your latest acquisitions, enjoy.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#163 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:55 am

I finally after 36 years, have managed to buy back "The Demon Doctor", a Jess Franco film on std 8mm 5x400, which is as rare as
rocking horse dollops, the norm being 4x400 super 8. I sold this print for £7.00, along with many others on std 8mm to a dealer,
not any of our present I add, I understood the gauge was dead, so sold at the time to furnish my little pad after leaving home,
that was in 1980, I had given up hope of ever seeing it again, but there it was, not a great film, but it was a landmark and has its moments. Chances are it is my original print, this is not the first time I've been reunited with my films, it might take time, but
they do come back sometimes.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork
Hugh Thompson Scott

#164 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:04 am

What a great story Hugh. I do hope it is your original print as you suspect.
That would be a superb reunite!

1980, ah yes, I remember now, 2nd year high school, Trisha Davis, The Earth Dies Screaming, Message In A Bottle and The Sound Of Music & The Champ 400ft col/ snd on 8!

What a great year!
Lol.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:15 am | Top

#165 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:41 am

Thanks Andrew, yes I've been very fortunate in some respects, "The Corpse" in std 8mm, sold in the same package as the above, but
bought back a few years ago, no fade either, and a couple of Spaghetti western purchases, specially imported by me, but reappeared
on two different lists, one of then Ian's at Perry's, it was on my doorstep before I'd written the cheque, a really great lad, the films were
"A Man, A Horse & A Gun" & "The Dirty Story of the West", I was sorting out a little home at the time, so needs must, but Fate played her
hand, this was at the same time, the westerns came back in the early '90s, patience, for any Derann stuff, it WILL & DOES appear more frequently, the films I mentioned, are my own prints! What are the odds, the Demon Doctor remains to be seen, but I've never seen another print anywhere.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#166 by Paul Browning , Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:54 pm

Some shots from the Fantastic Voyage feature, more to come.

Attached pictures:
fantastic voyage 1.jpg   fantastic voyage 2.jpg   fantastic voyage 3.jpg   fantastic voyage 4.jpg   fantastic voyage 5.jpg   fantastic voyage 6.jpg   fantastic voyage 7.jpg   fantastic voyage 8.jpg  

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#167 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:15 pm

Looks awesome, I'd put a scope lens on though :-)

Paul Browning sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#168 by Paul Browning , Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:23 pm

These are the screenshots from the seller on ebay Vidar, so yes my £5.00 scope lens will be used . The pics help sell these films, and when they look this good, who wouldn't
bid if you got the funds. I missed the last one on ebay, but it wasn't a patch on this one, just beautiful balance of colour.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#169 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Superb Paul, simply superb! Looks fine as it is to me ha ha. You know my views on scope lenses,Sharpness, contrast and brightness are my top priorities when viewing a film.

Sure, correct aspect ratio is important to see the film as created and intended, but for my own personal screenings I am quite happy with viewing or judging the print in the manner displayed above. Certainly for buying purposes, i prefer to judge with the scope lens off.

Heathen arn't I !! Te he.

Hope to see more from T2, DH1&3 hopefully Paul

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:05 pm | Top

#170 by Paul Browning , Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:17 pm

£5.00 FROM DERANN ISCO GOTON SCOPE LENS, WITH THE ADAPTER SO YOU DONT NEED THE BRACKET EITHER. Andrew you find watching your films on a viewer editor you see more
of the lines and scratches than you would on the screen?, really strange. DH1 ?????, DH3 !!!!!!, T2 !!!!!!!!, WATCH OUT I'L BE BACK.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#171 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:11 pm

I know, it can be frightening Arnie! Haha.

A print can look awful on an editor screen and yet flawless when projected. Just ignore the editor image Paul, that is what I've concluded.
Sorry bud, thought you'd bagged the trio!

Crikey £5 for an Isco!! I pay more than that for my splice tapes, some people are just born lucky!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:15 pm | Top

#172 by Paul Browning , Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:07 am

That was a day filled with joy and sadness, this was the day I realised Derann was closing for good, and I purchased the xenon on that day with two brand new spare lamps, two isco's one in a box marked
with the widescreen centre on it, no business like show business a brand new copy, an Elmo tool kit that comes with the Gs1200 for a £5 and it was complete and unused.
It was pre close down day, as I only live 4 miles from the shop, I just went on spec, it was a manic day, with the staff running round trying serve everyone the phone ringing off the
hook, there was a lot of features on the shelves, but not for long I guess. I'm horrified by the thought of what went in the skip, just so very sad .

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#173 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:38 pm

We watched our T2 feature this weekend, for me this was an OK buy, the quality as you would expect is A1 with superb colours and top notch sound, image is rock steady and pin sharp, HOWEVER, i bought this cheap for a reason, during the last reel ,(around 100 feet before the titles go up), it does go slightly off focus on & off, & lasts for around approx 50ft, with the rest of the film being A1 with just a few far right minor lines here and there. The film itself at the end isn't damaged so the fault appears to be within the print. I didn't want to send it back to the dealer as was offered because i had no idea if i could find another copy.
To this day none have come up that i could afford. Does it spoil the movie? Not for me, more annoying than spoiling, BUT,
This one cost me £100 from Paul Foster many years ago, so all in all looking back, it was a great bargain.I will try and view it again and get some screenshots.

PAUL, that fantastic voyage looks superb. A great find there.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#174 by Paul Browning , Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:53 pm

Thanks tom, you did good if that's all T2 cost you even with the fault. The fantastic voyage is just once in a blue moon chance to own, and not too many around either. I am just
waiting for DIE HARD to arrive and a stunning print of Dracula Prince of Darkness, also PYSCHO on super 8, been waiting a while for this and maybe finally its getting to me.
Will get some screenshots of these when they arrive. Oh forgot robin hood on red fox from ian at perry's in the original square cake box.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#175 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:57 pm

Quite a mouthwatering selection there Paul to look forward to!

I am really looking forward to the screenshots from all of these gems!!

Tom, you definitely got the bargain of the century there with your T2 print.
I don't have any of the Arnie selection yet, but over time,I am hoping one or two may come my way with any luck.
One thing's for certain, I won't be paying £100 for any in this day and age!Lol.

Andrew Woodcock

Nostalgia 😁👍
Another funny, Mickey Mouse, Runaway brain

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor