RE: What are your most recent film purchases?

#126 by Jose Artiles , Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Arrived a few hours ago LPP prints of PETER PAN,SILVER STREAK, THE SIEGE, AND MRS DOUBTFIRE...i still waiting for 7 films more.....
I think I'll end up ruining or my girlfriend giving me an ultimatum lol jajajajaj

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Jose Artiles
Date registered 08.16.2015
ThankYou 16

#127 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:55 am

All features or digests? Nice titles and now I want to see Silver Streak again (not seen since VHS days)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#128 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:56 am

Don't upset the woman in your life Jose, keep 'em sweet. I have the feature of "Silver Streak", which had a fault on processing, a
pulse from dark to light, which Ian at Perry's rectified, thanks again to Ian.

Jose Artiles sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott

#129 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:26 pm

Silver Streak great film. Have the 400ft Ken Films, 200ft Production short, and 16mm feature. Hire the super 8mm one from FDA really good print, at the time when most were average.

Just got When Worlds Collide 16mm our next feature presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S-Iidmc...t=RDOIVI4cE9PPo

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#130 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:09 am

It is a lovely film Dave, the feature I bought from someone lost in the "mists of time", but a fault in processing, which I
just happened to mention to "our Ian", who told me to send in the 800' spool, it came back perfect, that was when they had their labs, I
am still indebted to Ian, he certainly saved the day there, a stalwart if ever there was.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#131 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:14 am

Yes, shame about the Christmas list.

Andrew Woodcock

#132 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:39 pm

yayyyy, i have bagged Saturn 3 at last!!!
Thanks Hugh for letting me know about this one.
Also, i won the Porridge 400 footer for a great price.
I do already have this one but unfortunately, although a great print, right at the last minute a poxy green scratch appears to the right before dissapearing again seconds before the end titles.
It didn't bother me too much to be honest as i have seen much worse, but when i saw this in excellent condition with the original box,(which mine doesn't have), i thought I'd pop in a bid, i didn't expect it to go for that start price though.

A super start to 2016 for me & its only the 1st day of the year with one crossed off my want list.
I shall prepare a new list to put out on here a little later.
Its weird on ebay now, when i tap in "super 8 film" although they come up, this Saturn 3 didn't, it,(with many others) appeared in another search, i think it was film formats or something, why the hell do they keep changing it?

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Vidar Olavesen

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 01.01.2016 | Top

#133 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:26 am

My most recent purchases were a Derann 'Cinema Snips' and a Christmas logos reel from CHC. I was very disappointed because a previous owner had obviously limited editing skills, taken out what he wanted and 'spliced' together the gaps with thin strips of masking tape. I think I had to resplice about 15 sections before I could view them.
Phil said I could return it but there's little point when the postage from Australia is about the same as I paid for the reel.

Jonathan Trevithick

#134 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:53 am

I hate to hear about that Jonathan. I understand your disappointment, as many of us do I'm sure. It can be a risky hobby at times due to things like you spoke of. But we always seem to bounce back from our disappointments, as there are still many treasures out there for us to discover. But again, my sympathies.

Timothy Duncan

#135 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:48 am

It really is piss poor to hear once again how some films have been treated by their previous ignorant owners Jonathan.

You're certainly not on your own with this one Jonathan as i, before now, have witnessed exactly what you describe as well as even seeing metal staples used to join 8mm film!

Totally barbaric, but we just have to remember, that not everyone who has ever come into contact with a film, even begins to value then in the same manner we all do!

At least with these type of atrocities,we all can usually quickly and easily rectify the blunder!

Just thank the Lord for rewind arms!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:50 am | Top

#136 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:16 am

Thanks guys. I'm sure i'll live! I also took a local Ebay gamble. 7 short films for 5 bucks and all but one were great. So overall, not a disastrous start to the New Year!

Jonathan Trevithick

#137 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:06 pm

Jonathan, i bought a film from CHC to and mine must have came from the very same collector.
I purchased the 200 footer castle of Death, upon checking it i found it to be b/w silent not colour sound
Then i noted it had a colour piece of film at the start for about 2 feet, taped on with a skinny piece a shitty masking tape covering the sprocket holes as well as the film, i was not amused,
I will say Phil was very good by giving me the full refund inc postage and does not want the film back due to it being b/w silent, (although the box does state this!!!!!.
He has been stung whoever that collector was, if your that collector and your on here, (though i doubt it), i'll just say there only two words i can use to describe you but they are not words i will put on here.

The only mittingating circumstances i could think of here is if the collector has passed away and the collection simply handed over.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#138 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:29 pm

Correct me if you think I'm wrong Tom, but I also think the print should be checked before selling at some point.

I know this was only a short but I've had features before now from Phil that have either not been in the condition expected or in one instance, wasn't even the film advertised or stated on the box!

I've also had some superb prints from him I hasten to add!!

I am not having a pop at Phil here with this as I am in complete admiration for Phil's continuing support, devotion and enthusiasm for our ageing hobby, but I am surprised that he himself, doesn't want to check through these prints before both purchasing a collection, or indeed selling a print from a newly acquired collection offered to him.

I know all of these checks take time, but he himself is a film enthusiast so it's hardly like pulling teeth to watch through as many as possible before buying a collection.

I have noticed over the years that almost in every case, Paul Foster appears to know exactly what is being offered by himself.
I have to equally admit though, that typically, Ian would only ever confess to checking the beginning of a feature before offering it for sale in many instances. Not all, but many it has to be said.

If it were myself buying a collection, I'd certainly be checking through them before parting with my hard earned. How else can you even place a value on a collection without knowing the condition of the films?
From near mint to excessively and extensively damaged, the price would vary drastically.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:45 am | Top

#139 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:40 pm

Andy, i think your right but from what i gather it is very difficult for Dealers to check every reel due to the volume of reels they handle.
I did use to think exactly the same to be honest, it was a conversation i had years ago with one of the boys at Derann, (after a couple of duff films), but also with Ian @Perry's. If Phil went through each and every reel they probably wouldn't be able to put out a monthly list. For me this particular one is a first since making more than usual purchases from CHC.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#140 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:19 pm

Perhaps they should be given the once over just as each one sells then Tom. ( time permitting of course)

I really wouldn't like to send any print of mine over to another collector without first checking through it again and checking the splices etc.

I could understand it more in the Derann era when they had many hundreds of prints to turnover each month off their used lists, but these days stock moves slowly and turnover of lists are very slow now.

Often films stay on all the dealers lists I see for over 12 months in many cases.

Graham Sinden sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#141 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:19 am

Won an auction on Sunday night for the 200' color/sound reel of "Escape from Astragard", an extract from Disney's "Island at the Top of the World" (1974). I'm looking forward to seeing it as I've been in search of this reel for awhile now. On December 11th, I received the 400' reel of Disney's "The Black Hole" (1979).

Timothy Duncan

#142 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:51 pm

Just waiting for Carry on Camping, this is the 2 x 400 footer joined onto one spool.
Looking Forward.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#143 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:05 pm

"One must, one must, one must improve ones bust!"

Only wish I could end with a Sid James cackle in txt. Ha ha ha.

Andrew Woodcock

#144 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:07 pm

ear stop messin' about

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#145 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:12 pm

They really are great classic British comedies these, especially the best of em.

"Camping" is definitely one of those Tom. Great acquisition!

Still not sure we should be addressing her as Dame Bab's though. Then again, that's a different story.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:13 pm | Top

#146 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Cheers Andy, about two years ago i did purchase what was the 1st of the two parter, at that time i had no idea there were two extracts released, me being me just thought that the part i bought ended weird so i put it back up for sale as i was disappointed it appeared to end half way through the film! what a maroon i was!!! & it was a great print to,
Then the penny dropped when i saw this film was released as a feature length and also a TWO x 400 footer Mind you i have never found the "other" extract to go with it so this was ideal.
Finding the two together on one spool was very jammy but is now the forth of my new films for this year. I wont keep purchasing up like this up due to having to make a few bucks soon to re coup now.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#147 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:32 pm

They are all great films you've recently purchased Tom. You certainly shouldn't have any regrets even if you've pushed the boat out a little lately.

Life's short and you work hard for your money. You constantly get your priorities right by placing you're family first.
You won't be ripped off by anyone, in my book you have it spot on.
Don't feel guilty mate, you deserve all you come by!

Andrew Woodcock

#148 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:44 pm

The guilt will pass very quickly,i shall soon be looking around the house to sell up on the dreaded ebay but it does fund the hobby well. The Mrs tells everyone here that if she goes missing they are to look on ebay because she thinks i'll list her hehe, , i said only if a good copy of Die Hard or Silence of the lambs comes up.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#149 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Glad to be of service on "Saturn 3" Tom, indeed, if any members have titles they are looking for, let us know, that's what this forum is about, we help each other.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#150 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:35 pm

I know a guy who would love to have The Thing (1982) on any format and Alien.

I think he will die disappointed though :-/

Can't have it all. Pit and the Pendulum I do have some hopes of finding though

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

Nostalgia 😁👍
Another funny, Mickey Mouse, Runaway brain

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor