RE: What are your most recent film purchases?

#76 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:54 pm

The Long Ships, where did you get that Hugh, is it in scope, Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier, Lionel Jeffries, Russ Tamblyn, Gordon Jackson and Colin Blakely, did you know it's actually Leonard 'Rigsby' Rossiter who is the soldier, who is chosen to Ride the 'Mare of Steel'. It's one of my childhood favourites, I loved these type of films when I was a kid. Oh I forgot Edward Judd.

Steve Carter
Last edited Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:56 pm | Top

#77 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi Steve, it was on ebay US, along with Oliver Reed and Gene Hackman in Hunting Party, which was BIN, Long Ships, I was the solitary
bidder, so no doubt the lads are on overtime & weekend work paddling their way over the pond as we speak, didn't realise poor 'ol
Rigsby was the unfortunate foot soldier that didn't win the draw for the "Mare of Steel", no doubt Vienna ( his cat ) would have a grin from ear to ear.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#78 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:14 pm

I Just watched that bit of the film and that's not Len Rossiter on the Mare, I know he's one of the soldiers, I will have to go through it and then post.

Steve Carter

#79 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:50 pm

You can make your own mind up, I think it could be him, remember it's about 1964 or so.
The Hunting Party, Candice is in that one.

Steve Carter
Last edited Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:12 pm | Top

#80 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:29 pm

It does look like it Steve, the earliest I saw him was in 'Billy Liar', made about '63, which could be about the same time as this film.

Robert Crewdson

#81 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Ah! Billy Liar, Tom Courtenay, I also like The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, with James Bolam & Michael Redgrave.

Steve Carter

#82 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:48 pm

On IMDB,it says he is the Persian soldier who falls on his sword to prove his loyalty, so you're right Steve, a little fact I was unaware of.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#83 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Thanks Hugh, I thought it was him, I put those pics together to compare the nose and eyes.

Steve Carter

#84 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Forgot to mention a 16mm trailer reel of Steve Reeves movies, inc "Hercules Unchained", "Giant of Marathon" etc.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#85 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Steve Reeves sword and sandals films, were a lot of those Italian dubbed pictures?.

Steve Carter

#86 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:12 pm

They sure were Steve, they made Steve Reeves into a household name, for me, he was Hercules, accept no substitutes, he looked
the part, and the dialogue was not modern speak, indeed, compared with the awful "Legendary Journeys", which is
on the Horror channel now, it's like watching a badly outfitted junior school play. Joseph Levine bought the rights to the Italian epics,
which of course were dubbed, but were in keeping with the Greek Myths.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:13 pm | Top

#87 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:14 pm

Back in the 50s my father received a signed photo of Steve Reeves, he lent it to a publisher to go with a small book he had written, the published never used the 2 photos my father sent, and when he asked for them back, they had been ruined. The figure had been cut out of the photo. Now a publisher could do that on a computer; but this man used scissors and the rest was thrown away. It was a personally messaged photo.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:15 pm | Top

#88 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:14 pm

My father used to write for Reg Park; he took over the role of Hercules in the 60s.

Robert Crewdson

#89 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Reg made "Hercules in the Haunted World" for Mario Bava, definitely one of the better "Herc" films, it also starred Chris Lee, well done Robert's Dad.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#90 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Reg Park had his own magazine and equipment for weighlifters/bodybuilders. He died in South Africa only a few years ago. I have some mags from the 60s where they are promoting one of the Hercules films.

Robert Crewdson

#91 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:28 pm

I have this photo of Reg Park greeting Primo Carnera when he came to Britain, probably to make 'A Kid for Two Farthings', although Park was about 6ft 1", he looks like a schoolboy standing beside Carnera.

Robert Crewdson

#92 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:55 pm

A Kid for Two Farthings, another gem, steam press and all, Diana Dors she had it all back then, watched her in Tread Softly Stranger the other night (camels toe in those tight shorts, in the roof scene) lucky George Baker.

Steve Carter

#93 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:29 pm

Here is a picture of 'Mr Universe' from a Hercules film; then meeting Primo Carnera, Mr Universe is on the left, and finally, Primo Carnera and his manager. During the closing down sale of Portland Films, I managed to get a Castle films reel of Carnera, highlights of three of his bouts. Unfortunately, the gangsters got to him and told him to lie down, or else; it shows in one of the fights, so he gave up boxing and went into wrestling, and that is what he is doing in 'A Kid for Two Farthings', with Joe Robinson, who I believe is still alive.

Robert Crewdson

#94 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Primo obviously ate all his oranges, Steve Reeves was also Mr World and Mr Universe, then got into acting, which he hated, he also
made a spaghetti western, died in 2000.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#95 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:09 pm

Primo Carnera was a man mountain, it must be hard to take a dive, he always looked older to me, maybe his thick set features did this, like Ted Cassidy & Richard Kiel, maybe it's the giant gene in them, Andre the Giant had the same look.

Steve Carter
Last edited Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:09 pm | Top

#96 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:36 pm

The only one I can think of who sorted him out was "Mighty Joe Young", I think Joe was the shorter of the two.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#97 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:06 pm

Got lots of photos of Steve Reeves, won't be posting though as it's off topic. He was noted for having a very narrow waist.

Robert Crewdson

#98 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:10 pm

That publisher was well out of order to ruin your Dads signed photo though Robert, he was obviously a lazy bastard as he could
have easily made a copy of it for cutting about.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#99 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:57 pm

Father was upset about it, he had two signed photos both with a personal greeting. I think he must have thrown them out a few years before his death.

Clyde Miles likes this
Robert Crewdson

#100 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:15 pm

I'll bet he was upset, who wouldn't be, when I was a youngster viewing these films with my slightly older sister, Steve Reeves was the part, by all accounts a very nice chap, he was fortunate at the time to be cast in these films, which today belie their threadbare budgets
and still manage to look good, thanks to my 'ol mate Mario Bava, who was a cameraman but also a special effects wizard who could create beautiful sets from cut outs and matte paintings, Pietro Francisci was Director on the first Hercules films and accepted all the
accolades, but it was Bava that created the films with his skills and imagination, and charged nothing for his extra services, indeed many of the Italian films and epics used the mans genius without him getting credit, another reason why I love the man's work.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Projections Magazine Issue #119 and Reel Deals 12/2023

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor