RE: What are your most recent film purchases?

#1001 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:49 pm

From Rake today ...

The following members like this: Iman Yahya, Greg Perry and Tom Photiou

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#1002 by Iman Yahya , Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Saw a few Disney shorts left on CHC's latest list so grabbed a couple more: WHO KILLED COCK ROBIN and LULLABY LAND. Beautiful colour on both, full original leaders and boxes. ROBIN had a thick black scratch on the far right hand side but otherwise excellent. LULLABY LAND is near-mint, hardly any marks but oddly the audio seems a second or 2 delayed. I ran it twice to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

Would be nice to get a re-record on the latter, can anyone here provide such a service? I can happily provide a DVD copy of this cartoon, if needed, it's a US disc though so NTSC.

Iman Yahya  
Iman Yahya
Date registered 03.28.2017
ThankYou 4

#1003 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:07 pm

As there is little or anything new here today regarding the reasons as to why we all tune in here each day, I thought I would put on a post on my own latest acquisitions from a forum member here and elsewhere.

I received the Derann 4x 600ft Col / Snd feature of Tom Thumb and the Derann 200ft B/W reprinted edition of "Steamboat Willie" just a few days ago now.

i have been through both films now giving them the intial once over and both are in superb shape, S.W is like an "as new" print and I am delighted to add that one to the collection, while Tom Thumb is a beautiful print, extremely colourful throughout and very lush and vibrant contrast on all colours. A really lovely "Red Fox-esque " style print from Derann by the simply brilliant producer George Pal of Time Machine & War Of The Worlds fame also among others.
The print itself has only minimal wear just to the very last part and one or two very minor hairline black lines at the beginning. Otherwise it is a perfect print and the sound on this one is equally outstanding from original to match!

Both prints, I'd highly recommend to any enthusiast.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Iman Yahya, Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Del Phillipson sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:16 pm | Top

#1004 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Well done Andrew; I know Tom Thumb was on TV not that long ago, but I didn't watch it.

Del Phillipson likes this
Robert Crewdson

#1005 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:48 pm

You should have done Robert. It's a fantastic classic film with a great storyline and a great cast to match.
Highly recommended.

It's been on TV many many times here over the years but TV is only ever TV c/w adverts etc etc.

It really is a spectacle watching films of this quality up on the big screen as intended.
A beautiful print.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 pm | Top

#1006 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:26 pm

You should do reviews with screenshots Andrew.

Tom Photiou likes this
Robert Crewdson

#1007 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:30 pm

It'll come Robert, along with the rest, time permitting of course.

I always enjoy reading and looking through the reviews from others here but many regular posters of such seemed to have stopped bothering now very sadly.

To me, it is one of the main reasons to have and be able to enjoy a film forum for, but I wonder at times what other collectors see their forums reasons for existence as being.

Quite puzzling at times I have to say.

Maybe we should place a survey here as to the top 10 reasons why we visit any film forum.

Place discussing the merits of digital projection as top of the list!
Prices of used film 2nd.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:40 pm | Top

#1008 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:49 pm

I think the answer is actually contained in your post, Andrew, when you stated “time permitting of course.” I, for one, only have a limited amount of time to spend regarding the hobby, as there are a lot more important things in my life that take precedence.

Maybe you were posing a rhetorical question regarding what other members see as the reasons for a forum’s existence, but it seems that now this forum is actually humming along quite nicely given Robert’s new role, with new posts and increased activity whenever I have time to pop in. Let’s not revert to those prior times of overanalyzing the purpose of the forum ad nauseum, but let’s simply enjoy the forum, as it now appears to be finally going in the right direction.

Just my two cents 🙂

Mats Abelli likes this
John Hourigan
Last edited Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:01 pm | Top

#1009 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:48 pm

I've tried to give a detailed review of some of the films I have watched, as these reviews will be here for as long as the forum exists; for the benefit of future members. I have been told that some don't post reviews and screenshots because of the apparent lack of interest from members. Recently I took 38 screenshots and only about 12 were acceptable; it's nice to know that your work and research is appreciated. If no one comments then you wonder 'Why bother?'.

Tom Photiou likes this
Robert Crewdson
Last edited Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:48 pm | Top

#1010 by Greg Perry , Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:17 am

Hello,

Two recent additions: "Cinema in Miniature" with much of the work done by Lee Mannering. Fun to see some of the machines involved in actually creating the prints, applying striping, and recording soundtracks etc. I think this was really well done and am glad to have a copy.

"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" by Max Fleischer in 1948. Great color and nice addition to the Christmas film show! Still looking for a nice low-fade print of the 1964 Rankin-Bass Rudolph TV program, but in the meantime this will work....

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Martin Dew

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#1011 by Tom Photiou , Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:20 am

Greg thats two 1st class little titkes there. We have been loking for santas workshop from derann for years and also rudoplh. Well done there.

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#1012 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:34 am

Cinema in Miniature is now a very difficult film to find Greg. You did very well indeed finding one of those! 😊😊

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson
Greg Perry sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#1013 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:52 am

Cinema in miniature looks interesting; I went to Perry's Shop years ago, but it had moved, and wasn't the one shown in your screenshot.

Robert Crewdson

#1014 by David Skillern , Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:25 am

Hi,

Just waiting for my latest purchase from Ian O'reilly on 16mm - the late great Christopher Lee in the 1967 Horror thriller - Theatre of Death - Ian says there is some colour fade but perfectly watchable - but as this film doesn't come upi very often - I had to snap it up.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#1015 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:42 am

I thought that was a very good price, considering how popular horror films are.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson
Robert Crewdson

#1016 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Ian is like Snow White - The fairest of them all!

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Del Phillipson
Andrew Woodcock

#1017 by Tom Photiou , Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:56 pm

No, thats me Andrew,

My latest and last for a while now is Robin Hood Prince of Thieves on 16mm. This is the flat version but that does not bother me at all, LPP Polyester print to.

Maybe if a copy of The Princess Bride came along,

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 03.10.2018 | Top

#1018 by Del Phillipson , Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:28 pm

I saw that Tom, lovely looking colour if it was David's copy.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#1019 by Tom Photiou , Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed.it looks great and is joining my little collection of excellent titles.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#1020 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:56 pm

Just got Little Toot in the Door, thanks, Del

Del Phillipson sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#1021 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks, Mr. Guest, this will be fun watching through. Ichabod and Mr. Toad in plastic bag on top

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Del Phillipson and Tom Photiou

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

Last edited 03.28.2018 | Top

#1022 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Three eBay buys today

Assume it should be Villain?

Scooby, always fun

And scope T&J

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#1023 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:16 pm

I won another immaculate set of Gremlins prints recently, my originals did now contain scratches from the errors of my ways from the early days back of being a second time around collector so I was happy to replenish some flaws with none at all now . I still have one or two others in mind in which i will do likewise if I can and would like to be able to stop at no limits to get back all i've had this time around before my steep learning curve came to an abrupt end thankfully!

Anyhow, this time around, and very very sadly once again, I managed to obtain a superb quality set of prints of this title from the relatives of a deceased one time collector, but this time the boxes from original were tatty whether or not the films themselves had or had not ever previously been viewed, of that i really cannot tell. They certainly appear to have never been viewed or only a handful of times at the most would be my own guess.

I have now given both reels brand new, replicated from original boxes and artwork, and pulled them both away from their original aging boxes this really does feel like a totally brand new film from Derann now.
It is like the late 80's / early 90's all over again here after receiving this one. I am really really pleased with these!

It is always sad news indeed to learn that we are now obtaining many a film from a member of the film collecting community who sadly is no longer with us all, it is however a satisfying feeling to know that at least the films fall into the hands of keen collectors who will now no doubt, cherish and treasure them as well as get many more years of enjoyment from them all.
Ultimately, that is all that matters now and is about just the best possible outcome in such circumstances.

The following members like this: Stuart Reid, Greg Perry, Martin Dew and Iman Yahya
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:07 pm | Top

#1024 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Selling your striped old one? ;-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#1025 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:48 pm

I would need to remind myself Vidar, of just how bad it is to begin with. I think reel 2 is ok aside from one small section lasting only a second or two which has one minor emulsion scratch. This section was like this when I first purchased it from Perry's in the early days back. If Reel 2 is as it was when I got it, i will be keeping it for a spare print but if it all has some extra damage, I may well consider off loading it if it would be still in demand damaged? I would just have to wait to see I think and take another look at my original copy.

I don't ever envisage what happened to the original one, ever happening to this one now, but as with anything in life, you just never know for certain i suppose.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:37 pm | Top

Nostalgia 😁👍
Another funny, Mickey Mouse, Runaway brain

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor