RE: What are your most recent film purchases?

#951 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:52 am

Watched "A Bugs Life" through to the end this evening and half of the rest.

People knock these later Disney / Pixar animations but seriously,.. if you ever feel the need to ever Witness Super 8mm at it's almost perfect very very best, prints like "Madagascar Penguins, A Bugs Life, Toy Story, For The Birds etc etc,... These are truly the prints that you would never have believed possible what I have just witnessed from a solitary 4.8 x 3.5mm frame size.
Miraculous at the very least!

Long Live Super 8mm in the heart of thousands and for all of the rest simply buy the BR disc!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:27 pm | Top

#952 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:52 am

I Watched "A Bugs Life" through to the end this evening and half of the rest.

People knock these later Disney / Pixar animations but seriously,.. if you ever feel the need to ever Witness Super 8mm at it's almost perfect very very best, prints like "Madagascar Penguins, A Bugs Life, Toy Story, For The Birds etc etc,... These are truly the prints that you wouldn't ever have ever have believed were ever ever possible from what I have just witnessed from a solitary 4.8 x 3.5mm frame size.
Miraculous at the very least!

It really does stretch whatever anyone thought was ever credibly possible so far as to when the gauge was first brought to market!

Long Live Super 8mm in the heart of thousands and for all of the rest,... simply buy the BR disc or for whatever else is out there and is available,..to be entirely politically correct here nowadays, you take your choice and you pay your money with all else remaining !!

I know where my own bread and butter still stands , and always has stood since 1976!

Super 8mm loyal and proud till the very very end!

The following members like this: John Smith, Mats Abelli, Del Phillipson and Gwyn Morgan
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:53 pm | Top

#953 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:32 am

Dare I say it Andrew but buying the bluray would be the most sensible thing for most, brilliant picture,great sound,continuous playing I don't think they would argue with you,then of course the cost, you could buy a lot of bread and butter with what's left over from the bluray.

Also For the Birds,Derann released some awful copies of this,loads of neg wear on later prints that you wouldn't have accepted at the time, I think that's why Derann got critisism for some of the Disney's,many times they would release far from perfect prints but knew they had loyal customers that would buy,some got returned but most stayed. Saying all that,when they got it right they got it right.

It's a great hobby but others looking in who aren't in it would simply gasp in disbelief on what these things cost, in these circumstances the bluray does seem to make sense!! Mark

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Tom Photiou
Mark Mander
Last edited Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:49 am | Top

#954 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:11 pm

It is the prints I named above that for the ones I own at least, that actually produce a better projected image on my screen size when viewed at the correct distance away from the screen, than the DVD equivalents I have.
Aladdin and a few others also does.

You are quite correct though Mark, the Blu Ray in every single case wins hands down for projected image quality.
I doubt any traditional projected medium could better it at our home screen sizes.

I just never cease to be amazed in what finally became possible from such a tiny frame size on Super 8mm , that's all.
As you see the tiny tiny frames passing in the residual light from the feed spool and then look at the image on screen at fairly sizeable proportions, it is simply incredible!

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Mats Abelli
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:22 pm | Top

#955 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:44 pm

Absolutely right there Andrew,the quality that can be achieved is superb from such a small media, one of the films I have that I've had for over 20 years is an advert reel that contains Gordon's gin,the quality on that is truly stunning, I have some bluray sourced 16mm trailers and it's up with them, the right lenses help of course on these prints too, when you get a good one you do appreciate it that's for sure,Mark

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Martin Dew
Mark Mander

#956 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:14 pm

I always thought it odd how super 8 can produce such a big image from a small distance from such a tiny 6mm image yet to get the same image size from the same distance on 16 you have to buy expensive Len's. The 25mm one i have does the job but the image is ,in my view, piss poor on it, instead i now use a 38mm with a zoom converter. Yes i know 16mm isnt designed for the home use, there for long throw blah blah, but it seems almost impossible to get a good lens to blow up ours onto the same screen i fill with ease on super 8. As i say, the 25mm lens i do have is OK but the quality of the image isnt that great, too much light lose, ive taken the thing apart and cleaned it but im sticking the 38mm for now.
The results of good prints on super 8 has always fascinated me when you think how much its blown up to the screen size.
Mark, those advert reels from Derann do all seem to have 1st class image and sound, we have a number of these and if i have an audience i usually begin with one so as to show off the gauge and let them know this is what reel film is all about.

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Martin Dew, Del Phillipson and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#957 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:20 pm

I think it has been explained to me previously that much of it is simply down to the cost of what it would take to make an equivalent fast zoom lens for 16mm sized lenses Tom.

I think the cost of the equivalent lens would be far higher than the machines themselves in many examples.
There are a few though like the P8 HTI (T400) that appear to have as standard, beautiful flexible zoom lenses fitted to them as standard.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:35 pm | Top

#958 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:04 pm

16mm wasn't designed for home use so the machines didn't really need zoom lenses, that's why 16mm lenses can be expensive and more than most machines,Mark

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Tom Photiou, Del Phillipson and Douglas Warren
Mark Mander

#959 by Martin Dew , Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Yes, my Derann ad reels are amongst my favorite titles. The colours, the pitch blacks, shadow detail, and piercing sound (almost hi-fi quality on the Eumig S938) belie the tiny Super 8 format.

I bought an Odeon interstitial from CHC, which I assume is also Derann. Absolutely stunning too.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Last edited 02.03.2018 | Top

#960 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:20 pm

I gave a brief run out to my little used second Beaulieu machine today to check and view my new Marilyn Monroe trailer reel from Barry.
The film was good and the projector behaved itself admirably considering it's lack of overall use from myself.
A very pleasing morning all round this one.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Greg Perry and Del Phillipson
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:27 pm | Top

#961 by Eivind Mork , Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:29 pm

I received this today. Very nice box. Just checked it to the light. Seems a bit red, but with blue colors left. Not too bad.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Del Phillipson and Douglas Warren

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#962 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Picked up this box the other day ... Thanks to Nigel Higgins for the freebies, always appreciated

Attached pictures:
0771254B-45D4-4F70-B2F7-D0B4139486BE.jpeg   2028397C-D43D-4D5A-85F9-7C9A787E0BF4.jpeg   30C7CAB2-363D-4888-BA3A-2074C9E99C0C.jpeg   315B1B08-76C6-474A-B9D4-108C8C17CEE3.jpeg   3CD01E33-0230-483D-B564-D4CA69FC6485.jpeg   482B7804-4FD2-4B90-83EE-DE818EF69084.jpeg   5C63DAC9-F5AF-4E01-BD8C-908EAA472220.jpeg   928D1469-0D33-4FEB-A853-66AE01594304.jpeg   A2C0C264-D59E-4A2A-82BF-121D89013E49.jpeg   AA16A5E6-1396-47E5-93BC-A0D4AC34A9BD.jpeg   B8CB64A3-737C-42BD-9514-727E7493C2E2.jpeg   C3030442-8912-48F5-9410-1AF67B31BC0B.jpeg   C54FD2C9-CA08-4B58-8B9B-2478E2A41765.jpeg   C8BCAC97-3CE4-4CE4-B539-18F142B338AF.jpeg   D4F408BF-BDF8-4A94-A3A2-DAFC95557BD5.jpeg   DA0828F9-39E6-40CB-9E94-0FFFE85DF4B5.jpeg   F04E73A8-E3B7-4DA1-9B02-50EA02D48516.jpeg  

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Del Phillipson and Eivind Mork

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#963 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:25 am

Back from meeting in our Norwegian club. 3 16mm films ... Elvis, Elvis (Swedish film), The Green Scarf and Frankenstein (Wohoo)

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Greg Perry

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#964 by Greg Perry , Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:13 am

New to the collection:
16mm Our Gang comedy "Helping Hands" from 1941(?)...some wear but these don't come up very often for sale...
Super 8 Blackhawk comedy "Pip From Pittsburgh" with the lovely and funny Thelma Todd and Charley Chase. Decent copy till something better can be found....Plenty happy for these two new films!!!

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Tom Photiou

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#965 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:31 am

Love those Little Rascals, nice

Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#966 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:40 am

Good contrast on that 'Our Gang' print.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

#967 by Dave Guest , Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:15 am

I have loads of 2 reelers for sale
our gang
3 stooges
charley chase
laurel and hardys
andy clyde etc
email me for a list

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#968 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Mr. Guest kindly allowed me to make downpayments, so these is in my future at least
little papa our gang
anversary trouble our gang
bargain day our gang
bear shooters our gang
mike fright our gang
our gang follies our gang
termites
3 dumb clucks
half wits holiday
nothing but nice
dizzy detective
Basil the Great Mouse Detective
Ichabod
Robin Hood Disney
Fox and the Hound

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#969 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:52 pm

My “recent” film purchases have been primarily Blackhawk’s Our Gang and Laurel & Hardy Super 8 prints. I now only purchase black and white film prints as I have no tolerance for even the least bit of fade on color prints. After 47 years in the hobby, and with many of the color Super 8 prints being printed in the 1970s and early 1980s, the tell-tale sign of fade has persuaded me to buy only black and white prints, given the advances in other technologies make it a moot point to put up with faded color prints. As a result, I’ve been pruning my collection of (mostly faded) color prints — even though all of which have been stored in a film-friendly storage atmosphere.

John Hourigan

#970 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:59 pm

I agree now john, its getting pointless spending good cash on faded crap when you can have a good full length feature plus all the extras on HD b ray for a tenner. I get uptight when i recieve a film described as good colour and darker scenes are red, not fading but red.

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#971 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Give me a slightly or partly faded film in decent condition any day of the week over an LPP one riddled with emulsion scratches!

If faded is all there is now, so long as its been carefully and lovingly owned, bring it on!

Andrew Woodcock

#972 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Wholeheartedly agree, Tom. As always, to each his own, but for me, collecting is not “format for the sake of the format,” but I’m only collecting for outstanding picture and sound quality, no matter the format.

John Hourigan

#973 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:40 pm

That would always circle projected Blu Ray and UHD as the number one options available to you then John for home screening under simply just that criteria.

People like Barry Littlechild some twenty years ago now, completely abandoned film in favour of those images from even all those years ago back then.
I cannot imagine what he would make of today's projected images if he was happy and favoured it even back then in those early days of the technology.

I seriously doubt he would even wish to own any cine projector ever again in this day and age.

For those that still do, it is purely first and foremost all down to the thrill and pure magic of screening and actually handling and projecting REAL film.
To those people, anything else is a simply a compromise no matter how brilliant the presentation on screen from the silent black or white square boxes bolted to the ceiling, and that's coming from someone who enjoys both methods.

Nobody now buys Super 8mm, 16mm or even 35mm film believing it is giving them the very best image possible on a home cinema screen.
It goes far deeper than that.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:29 am | Top

#974 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Back in the 70s I couldn't afford colour, and to be honest, there was not a lot that appealed to me. They seemed to be mostly digests from Columbia. The only colour film I bought was the L&H Tree in a Test tube, which still looks the same as when I got it.
I'm wondering if I am the only person who can tolerate red prints. I prefer to watch without the aid of filters. I've said this in private, but never in a forum that I recall. I think the problem we have with red prints is when we get out a film that was perfect when it was new, then discover it's turned completely red. We think of the film as lost, it doesn't exist anymore. Years ago I was given a 400ft digest of Lawrence of Arabia, and the colour was perfect. I watched it twice and put it away. One day I thought I would like to view it again, got it out, found it was totally red, and put it back in the box, where it has stayed since.

I don't seem to have that problem with prints that already red; maybe it's because I never owned them when they were perfect. Strange as it may seem to some, I acquired two of these from Ebay in the US, so had extra postage and import tax to pay. But I love these two films and have watched them several times.

I'm not in favour of dumping prints; what doesn't appeal to one, may appeal to someone else. You also have to remember when buying 16mm that maybe some of these titles didn't appear on IB Tech or low fade stock, so it can be a case of that or nothing. I do have copies of some of these films on DVD, so I can watch it perfect if I want to, but I get a lot of pleasure from firing up the projector.

Martin Dew likes this
Robert Crewdson

#975 by Martin Dew , Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:09 pm

An Agfa Star Trek The Motion Picture on 1200ft spool - can't tell you how badly I wanted this one.

And a lovely scope Oliver! trailer.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Nostalgia 😁👍
Another funny, Mickey Mouse, Runaway brain

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor