RE: Your latest buys

#176 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 pm

This is the guy passing on Vidar's cartoons!! Makes you wonder what Bert is running doesn't it, ah well, the Whorehouse is in The
Netherlands, the Shithouse is in Lincolnshire, glad that's sorted.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#177 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:29 pm

hehe,oops, i just spotted that Paul
Burt will not be happy, i didn't read that back, Charlie Chaplin will be turning in his grave if he thought one of his films ended up in a whorehouse

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#178 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:34 pm

Tom, Chaplin was a womaniser of the worst kind, anything with a pulse he mounted, he married Claudette Colbert when she was 16
and rumours of one of his wives being 14, he would know his way around the whorehouses. Innocent he was not, don't confuse the
screen image with the dirty little bugger he really was.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#179 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:53 am

Here's my latest. I have just watched the first reel through this morning to check it's ok. Anyway so far it's spot on. I'll do a review of it no doubt when I'm off sometime.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Vidar Olavesen
Andrew Woodcock

#180 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:33 am

That looks good Andrew, is it the full feature, and who released it?

Robert Crewdson

#181 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:41 am

Andrew, you do know it's not based on a true story

A quick story, in the 90's I rented out Video tapes at the time Titanic was released. One of my regular customers collared me one day and say's "will you put me down for a copy of that, does it sink?" can't remember my reply, knowing me it would have been something witty

Del Phillipson

#182 by Dave Alligan , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:47 am

Robert

By the looks of Andrews picture, that is the full feature, it was released by Derann in the mid 1980's it was the first of their ITC releases, it was a very good print, Derann released it flat and scope, stereo and mono

I should add that's not the original box label

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

Last edited 06.09.2016 | Top

#183 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:50 am

Spoiler, Del. I thought Lew Grade made good films, but they bombed at the box office. Cinema attendance is no way to judge a film as good or bad. I used to go to the cinema in the 80s, and come out asking myself 'Why did I pay £5 to see that?'.

Robert Crewdson

#184 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:52 am

It's a very attractive cover Dave. I decorate my 16mm with posters or stills.

Robert Crewdson

#185 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:53 am

I would add, apparently the print is fabulous reading previous reviews, nearly bought a copy myself around 8 years ago, someone was selling one for I think it was around £80.00, times have changed since then.

Del Phillipson

#186 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:53 am

I do remember it being said that it would have been cheaper to raise the real Titanic.

Robert Crewdson

#187 by David Ralph ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:48 am

The postie brought me Ken Maynard in Flaming Lead. A great little film just a shame it has more tramlines than Sheffield.

David Ralph

#188 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:50 am

Well done Andrew, I too have a print, albeit flat, but I thought it a great adventure story, written by Clive Cussler, it is in the vein
of an Alistair Maclean story. The film was made by Sir Lew Grade, critics didn't like it, but it does what the much vaunted "Titanic"
doesn't do, it entertains, the film is never boring and has some great sequences, including the "raising" itself, accompanied by a brilliant
music score from John Barry, a particularly moving sequence is where our hero is walking through the ballroom still dripping wet to some lovely background music from Barry. Grade himself made the "Cheaper to lower the Atlantic" quip, I might be in the minority, but found it a great evenings entertainment, enjoy Andrew, get the beers and a few mates in and have a good viewing.
David, give your film a wipe with your favourite treatment, myself, I use WD40 with beeswax, and it makes marks just disappear, more
importantly, contains nothing that will harm your filmstock.

David Ollerearnshaw likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:04 pm | Top

#189 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:28 pm

Interesting David, I have that film, but my copy is Walton, 400ft. Ken Maynard was a favourite of my father's when he was a boy, also his brother Kermit Maynard.

Robert Crewdson

#190 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Did you know that in the 1950s Ken Maynard came to Britain and campaigned on behalf of the Labour Party. He ended his days living in a trailer. I think he died in the 70s.

Robert Crewdson

#191 by David Ralph ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:59 pm

Ken Maynard stopped making films in 1944 due to alcoholism which seemed common with 'stars' of that era. The film 'Flaming Lead' ( Nov 1939) was made with only $15000 budget and is a competent run of the mill 'B' western of the time and one which was probably shown in the 60's at the sixpenth cinema.
Robert, is the Walton copy more than 2 reels?

David Ralph

#192 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:28 pm

No, David, it's just 400ft. I've seen 16mm copies listed, but not the full feature. I found it a little too modern for a western, same as a John Wayne western I have titled 'Frontier Horizon, in which bulldozers appear in the building of a dam.

Robert Crewdson

#193 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:08 pm

The one story of tragedy that sticks in my mind was of Chief Sitting Bull, who ended up in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, he gave
his "wages" to the poor, a Truly Great Man who in my mind dwarf's his employer.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#194 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:13 pm

He gave money to some poor white children; killed by his own kind, who had become policemen. A truly great man.

Robert Crewdson

#195 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:39 pm

On a lighter note, bought the Film Office 400' version of "Psycho".

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork
Hugh Thompson Scott

#196 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:48 pm

One for David Ralph.

Robert Crewdson

#197 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:03 pm

A sad piece of reading there Robert, no doubt familiar to lots of fading stars, some were luckier in showing up on television.
It was on a TV show, I forget who it was that said it, but he'd been a big noise at one time, he said, "I love coming to Britain,
the British never forget you, I still get good seating in restaurants and requests for autographs, in the US, you're only as good as your last movie!"

Hugh Thompson Scott

#198 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:42 pm

Arrived this morning a very large box containing Earthquake ,made up of one 2300 reel about 800 foot still wound flat and 1200 foot in a black bag because it fell of the rewinder.Still two hours later with help from her in doors and next door neighbor all film now on reels.Just got to rebuild...fun...thanks DG.📽📽📽📽

David Ollerearnshaw likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#199 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:29 pm

You didn't follow Hughie's simple technique on getting film off cores onto spools, naughty Gwyn. Easy peasy. you place a 16mm spool
flat, place core on top, place another 16mm spool on top of that, creating a sandwich. You have your 16mm projector with empty spool
on rewind arm ready, remove tape from core, attach to spool on projector place a pen or pencil through the holes of the spools, thumbs against the hubs, hold at an angle until you switch to rewind, now hold vertically to allow film to be taken up on your projector, just make sure your spools
used as "cheeks" are Cecolite or Tuscan, not metal with studs etc. keep those thumbs tight. Of course if you have a split spool, all the better, but if not, this is a safe way of decanting your film to a spool, just make sure the take up spool is big enough.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Eivind Mork
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott

#200 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:04 pm

Hugh,Thank you so much for your instructions on how to spool film.
I would point out that it was NOT me who let it all go to crap but it came like it in the bloody big box in a black bag ,I just put it back on the spool!!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Cool old projector

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor