The new releases debate is re opened

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:11 am

I see the other channel has opened up the debate for a new release again. The difference is this time, you need to invest $390 up front, refundable if less than 22 apply. WOW, that is a lot of cash for half an hour of cut down, good though it may be, and it is good to see anyone trying to bring about any new releases but the prices are just insane now. It's strictly for the well off, or at least it is here in the UK with the ridiculous costs of living going the way they are, in October they reckon the average household will be paying over £3300 per year for our gas and electric, thats from an average 1200 just eight months ago, petrol almost £10 a gallon, and i dont know if anyone else agrees with this, but i think the extreme prices on ebay may well be bottoming out.

While there are dozens of films i would love to see released as a half hour 8mm version, i could no longer justify the prices, if you bought three thats $1170, how could anyone think thats ok?
The second hand market still produces some good bargains despite some people saying its all faded and scratched crap, much of it is, but there is still some very good stuff on there. We also still have four dealers, all be it not so buoyant, but they are there and with some good prices. you just have to look out and find the good ones.
Adding 16mm to our collection over recent years has really scooped up some great titles never released on 8mm and the prices are so much cheaper with a few exceptions, most of our 16mm features set us back less than 150 on average and the quality is generally outstanding.

So for those interested, take a look at the thread and pay the man your money, you may strike lucky. Personally, while i applaud Philip for trying to get this going, i think a title would need to be announced before parting with any cash, only my opinion
Unfortunatly, at present time, a couple of the titles suggested are already on 8mm, ideally it would need to be something thats not been available before, The Thing, (1982), Saving private Ryan would be a good one, Home Alone, Top Gun, full metal Jacket, A clockwork Orange, Mad Max (1 or 2) Beverly Hills Cop, Beetlejuice, The Shinning, An American werewolf in London, The Fifth element, The Good the bad and the ugly, Midnight cowboy, Deliverance, The Searchers.

I know these are all unrealistic but it is the sort of films i think could go down well, unfortunately, i am also aware a good material source is required. Taking them from a digital source may as well be left to the digital projector.

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Dave Baker and Gwyn Morgan
Dave Baker sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 07.17.2022 | Top

RE: The new releases debate is re opened

#2 by Paul Browning , Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:57 pm

I saw that Tom, good luck with that one, those go fund me ideas are great on paper if everyone's onboard, but the fighting starts as to what to put out, this is the real issue, because everyone then will fight there corner, and sadly its always "from there point of view " what would sell well. i think the striping issue as put a great big spanner/wrench in the works, sod really, the numbers are never gonna be on Derann scale, and now due to this energy issue in the UK especially the cost will put a lot of people off, no denying that. One i have noticed is that more are just selling in there own markets and nor exporting or even allowing a bid by switching off any communication with them ?, surely this is a disaster for sale's of anything, all this talk of global markets at the push of a button, yeh right only if its in my backyard. Your list is a good one tom, some good titles on there, some i would love on any film format, but i guess if we could get 22 like minded people, we might have "a snowball in hells chance " of seeing them before were gone to the great home cinema in the sky.............

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Dave Baker
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Dave Baker , Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:50 pm

Was it a good idea ?
Remember , THE SUPER 8 POLICE ARE WATCHING !!
In reality , the Super 8mm community are cheap and do not want to pay even what some sellers consider reasonable amounts for old , faded , scratched-up prints .
As observed , only ONE person showed actual interest , so just forget it .

And yes , Tom . ONE of the titles you mentioned IS coming next year .

So actually , the debate was ended as fast as it was opened .

Thanks for the reality check guys .

Paul Browning likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Dave Baker
Date registered 12.25.2021
ThankYou 24

#4 by Paul Browning , Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:43 pm

I noticed that one usual suspect, chooses his timing perfectly to tell everyone how good he is at striping film, and putting the sound on it, well after fifty years or so i would image your expertise is exceptional, but your talent for not actually saying how you do it when asked is even better, indeed with these kind of swerve qualities when asked a direct question, perhaps your wasted on the forum, and perhaps should be a politician, who also dodge the bloody obvious just as well. i wonder how you have the time because i'm at work most of the day.............

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:44 pm

The whole new release thing is funny isn't it?
To find that title that everyone wants will never happen, BUT, good to know one title on my list is a probability.
Always amazed anyone in the hobby would want the super 8 police involved, my goodness me, a handful of prints on super 8, now there's a crime isn't it? How many millions of copies on disc and downloads are there of the latest films? How come that's never dealt with then?

I'm cheap, in fact im tighter than a ducks ass when it comes to parting with my dosh, but seriously, i'm always happy to pay for a film i really want, sadly, i'm not in a fortunate enough position to be able to buy all the films i would like, (probably one of the majority), i do think if one individual is responsible for releasing new titles, then that person should and will select the titles he wants to release. I think the way the new untitled release is being announced may, as you said Dave, be dead in the water before it starts. If they prove me wrong, then i guess that'll be good for the hobby, but as Paul said, it will be open to much bickering between collectors with an interest.

Dave Baker likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:47 pm

Nice topic Tom as said it’s not raising much interest on the other site and with the way things are at the moment and looking long term peoples finances will I suspect dictate whether new releases come to fruition.
One can understand why films are being bought and sold only in the country of origin as postal prices ,vat,tax and any other tax you can think of is making life difficult.
Personally this is my hobby and like lots of other collectors the silver disc plays a large part in what I watch certainly if I can get a film at a reasonable price then I’m grateful but some prices paid are ridiculous in my view. I wonder when I see new people saying they are taking up the hobby do they realise it is expensive to do it properly.
Anyway I digress,on the point of new releases I doubt it will take off,but good luck to anyone willing to give it a go.

Dave Baker likes this
Dave Baker and Tom Photiou say Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#7 by Dave Baker , Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:53 pm

Well , Gwyn , THANKS for that REALISTIC point of view .

You know , I would do this for MYSELF anyway and wouldn't give a rat's ass if NO ONE bought a print .

Done without expectations.....

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Gwyn Morgan and Paul Browning
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Dave Baker
ThankYou 24

#8 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:00 pm

I am preferring UK buyers on my sales now thanks to the con of the postage, as fuel keeps going up the costs of sending abroad will get higher and higher BUT, if people are happy to pay the additional costs i will send abroad.
I did see on the channel back some months that it looks as though some collectors may be a bit delusional thinking that all the new releases will bring new collectors, especially younger people into the hobby. This will not be the case, in reality young people are struggling with finances, the idea that some will buy every new release, or even half, means they will spend a grand or more and maybe end up with an hour to an hour and half of film, youngsters today stream films digitally.

I think Dave Baker hit the right note with his first release, and the titles that followed were all popular with some collectors, unfortunately, from what i have read, Andec let him down as did the sound stripping service he was using, so spanners were thrown into the works.

Dave, i can only take my hat off to you for your honesty when you say "You know , I would do this for MYSELF anyway and wouldn't give a rat's ass if NO ONE bought a print .Done without expectations.....",

Now thats what i call honesty. A man after my own thinking.

BTW Dave, can you send me a business card for your marketting advisor

Someone needs to let Phil know that not so many people can let him know what he needs to know as all the best collectors have been banned or left that forum haha

The following members like this: Dave Baker and Paul Browning

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#9 by Dave Baker , Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:09 pm

Yes , I sure can , and here is his picture....

Dave Baker
ThankYou 24

#10 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:10 pm

Reminds me of a woman i once knew

Dave Baker likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#11 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:35 pm

Dave,thank you , I know you are a one man crusade to release new films and I do wish you all the best in your endeavour.I am obviously missing something here “8mm Secret Police”etc etc….
Good luck to anyone else who feels they can create a new release.
Tom you never introduced me 🤪🤪

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#12 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:58 pm

I think the idea of another release is fine, im just not convinced gathering 390 dollars from 22 people up front is the way to go, especially not knowing the title of any release, Alien? Already out here as a feature and a film from 1979? It'll be more or less what's already been seen plus the extra 200ft ending Ken films never released. Titanic 1953? The Poseidon Adventure? I'm sure that would interest some collectors, but honestly, it needs to be something that isn't already out there in my view, But i wish them well on their adventure.
Anyone with any sense on that channel will look in here, perhaps expand the debate, they clearly think that cine collectors are only on the one shrinking forum.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#13 by Paul Browning , Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:04 pm

I was coming down to see you Tom, but if the females look like this, a face like plasterer's radio, think i'll give Plymouth a miss ....................

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#14 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:33 pm

It's the Devon air mate, mind you, you aint seen me yet, when i was a baby i was so ugly i my Mum got me a dummy with a 12inch flange and had shutters fitted to my pram

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#15 by Mark Mander , Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:37 pm

It's finding a title we all want, it's OK saying go ahead but putting your money where your mouth is seems to be the problem, the Bond extracts for example I jumped at and couldn't wait for them to arrive, now you get hit with import duty so any new purchase has to be really thought about given the extra costs. The the new titles will unfortunately price themselves out of the market for many collectors but as Tom said if its a title you really want then no problem you'll buy it, its getting those certain title releases made in the first place,Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#16 by Dave Baker , Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:37 pm

Yes Gwyn , I am probably the only man in the whole WORLD that is doing this and I appreciate your positive support .

The " Super 8 Police " are people who troll the internet looking for unauthorized copies of film , DVD , Bluray & CD .
The only thing about film is NONE of " home movies " are shown for profit and it is a " profit less " business and besides , you can download FOR FREE all kinds of movies off the Internet and Streaming Services FREE . Below is a quote from Steve Osborne from the other forum -
" There is no problem with rights on ads and trailers.

No one in the day ask for rights to print trailers or ads.

Plus I know for a fact that MANY of Derann's and other companies releases did not have rights given.

As long only a few prints are sold and are within a small group there is no problem. I know this for a fact.

A person can download MANY films from the Internet and show on large screens!!

We make NO MONEY of the prints and NO Money is made by showing them at home. In fact anyone that sells a new print is loosing money!!!!!!

And on 16mm films? Every print out there has no rights. They were made for TV stations and film libraries!!!

This is a hobby! Are hobbies suppose to be a diversion from everyday life? Its suppose to be fun!

Lets make it that way and stop the Debbie Downers out there that are always trying to start trouble and bickering.

LETS ENJOY AND HAVE FUN! All my best, Steve Osborne The Reel Image "

Dave Baker
ThankYou 24

#17 by Dave Baker , Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:46 pm

Tom , clearly with the amount and quality of the responses to that thread it is dead in the water .
You can already see the arguments of " which " Titanic" film are you talking about and if it's a digest , feature or both .
And NONE of the respondents will put a penny down ( unless it's a film THEY want ) so just drop it !

I could care less if I put out something I want and NOBODY else wants it . If I want it , I'LL PUT THE MONEY UP BECAUSE THESE CHEAP ASSES WON'T .

Dave Baker
ThankYou 24

#18 by Mark Mander , Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:52 pm

You seem very angry Dave, I think we all get it but ranting isn't the answer, it won't help sales or give confidence to buyers, we've had all this from Classic Home Cinema over the years, what you've done for the hobby is amazing so don't let this spoil things, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#19 by Dave Baker , Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:08 pm

Sorry , Mark .
Not really angry , just passionate about our hobby .
I've collected films for 60 years , I never ran into other collectors back then that I have encountered today . And many of them haven't collected in 40 or so years , yet they feel like they are entitled to criticism of the current hobby .
Most people who really know me realize I am the FIRST to speak out in defense of it , and am not a " pansy " to back down from critics with big mouths .

The following members like this: Mark Mander, Tom Photiou and Gwyn Morgan

Dave Baker
ThankYou 24

#20 by Mark Mander , Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:37 pm

I agree, those collectors that don't collect always have something to say, it was a very different time, even 20 years ago, everything is so easily available today which makes for so many let downs, there is a plus side to this time but it is getting less so,Mark

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Gwyn Morgan
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#21 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:13 pm

I see there has been some additions to the thread, interestingly though is the question, "Would lowering the price to $150 per copy bring in more responses? That can be done ! - but the campaign will need a lot more participation".
One thing Phil at CHC said to me a year or so ago was that if a 600ft release was done it should cost the buyer no more than around £150 a copy. The problem is for that cost of s copy you need at least 30 copies sold so it is possible, unfortunately, for that you do need a popular title that a lot of people will want. With the limited numbers of collectors in the hobby and shrinking, (sadly), it's going to take some doing. The difference between 390 as a deposit and an actual cost of 150 is huge and would make all the difference, and thats dollars not pounds, i cant see how that could be done without dozens of orders. It would be a good achievement but as i understand it, stripping and sound recording is almost that price on its own.
Unfortunatly, as Mr Hamilton is finding out, the discussion is more lively here than on there.

I dont know much about making a release and trying to sell them, but i think any moron would work out that if you restrict yourself to one forum, where many of the knowledgeable collectors in both film and tech have left or been excluded, then you are missing out on opportunity for orders and answers.
The economic climate is unfortunately not right at this time.

Another curious comment is "For those who are purists (which I respect) then they will only have 30 to 50 year old prints to watch which will have your standard wear and fade", standard wear? Only if it's second hand from someone who didn't know how to look after their prints, Faded? get rid of them and buy a different title as we have done, better still, consider 16mm, better image, more title, s**t loads more titles in fact.
All new titles are welcome but as said, so many people ask for them but then when it comes to it, as Mr Hamilton is finding out, so few want to pay.
Not being negative here, just realistic.

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Greg Perry and Dave Baker

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#22 by Dave Baker , Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:47 am

Gee , Tom , I DO have a lot to say in response to your reply , but the super 8 Police are watching.......

Dave Baker
ThankYou 24

#23 by Paul Browning , Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:10 am

Its a real shame David, you feel constricted or oppressed might be a better phrase by such people. I believe you have a far more honest and straight forward approach to moving this subject forward instead of going around in circles, but some will not see it like that, nothing constructive will come from it.................

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#24 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:16 pm

I assume Mr Hamilton has been warned?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#25 by Rik Jackman , Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:03 am

I can't see it becoming much more than a teaser to be honest. Assuming anyone can actually agree on a release they are all interested, I doubt more than a dozen would dip their hand in their pockets.My perception is the hobby is shrinking as more collectors are exiting than joining and the striping cost alone is a bad joke so it would appear certain players in the market are more interested in milking the customer than looking to stimulate growth.

Bit of a shame but them's the breaks ;-)

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Mark Mander, Greg Perry and Dave Baker
Rik Jackman  
Rik Jackman
Date registered 11.09.2020
ThankYou 15

Cineworld probable Bankruptcy
BFCC Booked for April 2023

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor