#26 by Mark Mander , Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:37 am

That pretty much sums it up Rik, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

RE: The new releases debate is re opened

#27 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:43 pm

I know some years ago when i had 24fps clutch wheels re manufactured i had the job priced and ready before i mentioned it on the forum at the time. That way i knew the price and how many were needed. It worked very well as i managed to cover the costs, had i have tried to add any percentage for profit it would have fell flat on its face, it would be a similar thing now, i know Phil is trying to find out how many etc, which is the way to go, but you can see how , with no title, it isn't going to work. The title is the one piece of information anyone needs to know, without that no one will be interested.

Mark Mander likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#28 by Paul Browning , Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:11 pm

As said in a previous thread, the bun fight has started as to which film would be best for a new cut down release, but now we see some moving to the next stage and wanting Dolby surround sound on the film, before you have a title !!!!!!. Talk about putting the cart before the horse, i think too much information has been added to this thread already, 3 pages later, sometimes too many cooks spoil the broth....................

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Last edited 07.23.2022 | Top

#29 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:37 pm

In these sort of threads its better to just ask for titles only and forget all other discussion, like you said Paul, start with a title. I think its a subject thats come up so often there must be so many titles on those threads that there's really no need to ask.

Dave Baker did it the right way, he released titles at his own expense, films that he wanted to see so those who wanted to buy had that chance. I still think sticking to only one of the three main forums is a bit silly though but thats their choice i suppose, aside this, i suspect they ought to be a bit careful.

I think the best thing people can do is make do with whats out there, despite all the faded and scratched films for sale, there is actually plenty of good stuff still out there. The idea of a new new title will take forever, its expensive and some of the 16mm titles i've seen for sale of late are just incredible in titles, colour and overall quality, with this much out there i really dont think there's any need for new short films.

The following members like this: Don Cunningham, Paul Browning and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#30 by Mark Mander , Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:25 pm

Tom wrote...Anyone with any sense on that channel will look in here, perhaps expand the debate, they clearly think that cine collectors are only on the one shrinking forum. 

To be fair Tom, if you look who actually replies on here now I don't think it will make much difference, there are only a few that post regularly now, where is everyone? Mark

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#31 by Don Cunningham , Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:12 pm

Too much aggression in certain topics to really participate. Parties from BOTH sides believe the other is wrong, and I do not want my thoughts to be misconstrued, especially with topics such as this. I stay silent in many threads.

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#32 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:43 pm

Mark, yes it is weird, why bother joining here in the first place? When you see the amount of views some of the posts get i can only take it there's a lot of shy people about.

Don, i get what you're saying, the thread in question is a good idea to get people involved, but not putting up a small selection of titles is not a good idea, each and every person will simply put there own idea up and you end up with chaos. Alien has been mentioned but its been around on 8mm too long for any interest in my mind. For a start it would have to scope, and all your going to get is the same as before plus 10 minutes which Ken films were going to do but didn't.
Non verbal art films has been mentioned, REALLY?

I think any new release needs to be exactly that, NEW. Not a rehash of an old release. Spending hard earned cash on a film thats been around for donkey's years seems a waste of money when you could get a title thats never been seen on 8mm before. Thats what attracted me to 16mm, when i viewed my first 16 i realised the quality i was missing out on for decades.

Mark Mander likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#33 by Mark Mander , Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:25 pm

Fair enough Don I get that too, I'm not pointing the finger it's just an observation. This topic should have more replies but not having a title does limit things , saying that most of us are interested in new films, it is a topic that does go round in circles but even so you'd think that there would be more participation, Mark

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Don Cunningham and Greg Perry
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#34 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:41 am

100%. I can only assume very few people are interested, BUT, with no titles that is understandable. As for those who join here and never join in, well, why waste time joining?

Phil Hamilton likes this
Phil Hamilton sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Last edited 07.26.2022 | Top

#35 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:38 pm

I think we have been down this road before,the old proverb"You can take a horse to water but he may not drink" or something like that springs to mind.....I bet John Wayne never said that,sign of the times me thinks.
Maybe with the cost of living and the general state of things does not help,perhaps hobbies have to take a back seat.
With a membership of 270 plus you would think others might say something though!!!!!

The following members like this: Mark Mander and Tom Photiou

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#36 by Greg Perry , Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:23 pm

Although it is a nice idea, as we could all expect, there is never even close to a consensus about what new title should be printed. I think the best we can all do is provide suggestions to Steve O. and if he sees a strong demand for a particular title he can then consider whether it is worth a go to pursue a digest etc. Not to saddle Steve with this, but he has close to 1,000 customers who regularly provide him feedback--a much, much larger pool of film collectors than what is evident here and on the other channel. Many of Steve's customers are not on either forum.

I agree with Tom's idea where any new print shouldn't be a rehash of a previously issued title. This is not a slam toward our friend Dave's "Jaws" digest (as I am a happy owner) or any other title. It is simply trying to drum up enough interest for something completely new and original whereby people like Steve O., Dave and others won't lose money on such a project...

I hope once the magnetic striping and dubbing constraints are resolved then this idea of a new title can be revisited. Oh, and maybe after food and gas prices go back closer to what they were as well....unreal how expensive things have gotten in the last months.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Gwyn Morgan, Mark Mander, Paul Browning and Phil Hamilton

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#37 by Mark Mander , Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:27 am

It would definitely have to be a release that hasn't been done before, the Jaws that Dave released looks very nice but there are a huge amount of the Universal releases still around with good colour so I'm sure that reduced sales, Mark

Phil Hamilton likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#38 by Phil Hamilton , Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:13 pm

Thanks everyone for discussing this interesting subject. I know most of you saw my post on the 8mm forum. My desire was to initiate a discussion and to see if a consensus could be reached about which title would have the most interest by us collectors.

Some of you raised an interesting point that maybe if a title had already been released there would be less interest. I disagree. These new EDITs are better and actually show stuff we want to see and for the most part make better sense - beginning - middle - end.

The only way to keep costs down is to have volume in purchasing. Lots of folks talk about what they want but when it's time to pay for the title suddenly there is less enthusiasm.

Want a NEW TITLE?

This is the 200 foot edit of BEAST FROM 20000 Fathoms. Runs just under 11 minutes. It starts with the lighthouse attack and ends in the amusement park - a GREAT 200 footer. I made the sticker posted above for my Steve O white 400' box.

Keep the comments coming ! BTW I noticed a 600' Jurassic Park on eBay listed last week. It did not sell. It has been re-listed.

The following members like this: Dave Baker and Tom Photiou
Dave Baker sais Thank You!
Phil Hamilton  
Phil Hamilton
Date registered 08.02.2022
ThankYou 4

#39 by Phil Hamilton , Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:35 pm

My collection of NEW European imports -- Boxes from Steve O. Labels by me. The SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON is an original release with good color. I had no box so I made it.
JAWS is 200' - NEW EDIT !! DRACULA is 400' JP and the BIG GREEN GUY is 600'.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Dave Baker and Tom Photiou
Phil Hamilton  
Phil Hamilton
ThankYou 4

Last edited 08.04.2022 | Top

#40 by Dave Baker , Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:38 pm

Welcome Phil ! SO GLAD you have joined the " Logical " Reel Magic Film Forum !
BTW , that JP print on eBay was a LAB spoiled one , with the white " speckles " , that was bought from a dealer in Ohio .
Obviously they wanted to get a 400.00 BIN price so they could buy a new one , unspoiled . And the poor , unsuspecting " buyer " would have been ripped-off because they could have bought a new , unspoiled one for near or at the same price . It pays to be a member of this site !
Now about your NEW RELEASE discussion.....
Everything you stated is TRUE . Everybody wants something different .No one can agree on 1 title . So what happens now ?
The film chosen by the one financing it makes the decision . And if you don't like it , SOL .
And Anyone can do this too . If nothing else , do it for yourself .
End of problem .

Phil Hamilton likes this

Dave Baker
Date registered 12.25.2021
ThankYou 24

#41 by Tom Photiou , Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:01 pm

Phil, thanks for joining here and also joining in on a thread, so few new members actually join in discussions so this is very welcome.
Any new releases always cause a a bit of a stir when suggestions for titles are asked. I can see why David released titles he wanted to see. Unfortunatly, as already said, few people agree on what they want to see released. Unfortunatly, at present time, the cost of living seems to be taking over everything and certainly in the Autumn here in the UK, things seem set to get worse. All doom and gloom at the moment, this often means that hobbies take a back seat for many people.
I wont add too much as i think things will just get repeated, but i wish all people making new releases the very best with sales, but i guess that will defiantly depend on what the title is and how low the prices can be kept down.

Phil, were there any titles that you had in mind?

Phil Hamilton likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#42 by Mark Mander , Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:35 pm

Yes I'd be interested in hearing what titles are in mind, Mark

Phil Hamilton likes this
Phil Hamilton sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#43 by Phil Hamilton , Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:18 pm

Well here are some ideas and certainly doable --- just me playing around with what box art might look like...

That would be a fantastic release - maybe some day I hope. 600 feet - 30 minutes with Han shooting first - original 1977 version!

And then here are a few others - probably personal favorites of mine being a monsterkid from the 1960s.....in no particular order...400' edits if possible... I find the 20 minute digest perfect to watch with enough meat in it and likely better edited than what was thrown together back in the day.....

Curse of the Werewolf
Curse of Frankenstein
Evil of Frankenstein
Godzilla vs. the Thing AIP version
Mothra
Jason and the Argonauts
House of Dracula '45
House of Frankenstein '44
A L I E N
Rodan
King Kong Escapes
7th Voyage of Sinbad
Planet of the Apes

Tom Photiou likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Phil Hamilton  
Phil Hamilton
ThankYou 4

#44 by Jose Artiles , Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:30 am

Good news for you then because a 600 feet digest version in colour and LPP will be released by Dave Films.

Tom Photiou likes this

Jose Artiles
Date registered 08.16.2015
ThankYou 16

#45 by Dave Baker , Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:33 pm

Phil - did you say " Curse of the Werewolf " ??

John Armer likes this

Dave Baker
Date registered 12.25.2021
ThankYou 24

#46 by Phil Hamilton , Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:12 am

Hey everyone - I posted a list as requested of some titles that might be of interest to have on Super 8mm...

Can you guys just pick one or two titles that MIGHT interest you? It's ok to say NONE interest you. Puzzling to hear nothing but crickets. I guess that speaks volumes.

Phil Hamilton  
Phil Hamilton
ThankYou 4

#47 by Rik Jackman , Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:48 am

Hi Phil

To be honest I'm not really in the market for new releases at the moment but I'm always partial to a bit of Frankenstein and Dracula.

If This Is Spinal Tap ever made it to the list then that would certainly grab my attention

Phil Hamilton likes this
Rik Jackman  
Rik Jackman
Date registered 11.09.2020
ThankYou 15

#48 by Tom Photiou , Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:37 am

Curse of Frankenstein, Planet of the Apes are two titles i would like, especially Planet of the Apes, I'm assuming it is the original version?

Phil Hamilton likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#49 by Mark Mander , Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:37 am

Hi Phil
Nothing there that would interest me unfortunately, the choices are so similar in subject or have been released before so pretty much goes out to collectors of that genre who would possibly pay the money for them,Mark

Phil Hamilton likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

Last edited 08.10.2022 | Top

#50 by Greg Perry , Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:12 am

Hi Phil,

For me, the top two would be Planet of the Apes, and Jason and the Argonauts…
Another title that intrigues me is the original Bladerunner..

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Phil Hamilton and Paul Browning

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Cineworld probable Bankruptcy
BFCC Booked for April 2023

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor