RE: The new releases debate is re opened

#51 by Paul Browning , Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:22 pm

Yes planet of the apes would be a good one, so would jason and the argonauts, perhaps a twins of evil cut down would be nice, italian job, micheal caine version, plus escape from new york, and clockwork orange, with some "ultra violence" .............

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Phil Hamilton
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#52 by Tom Photiou , Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:49 pm

Clockwork orange, now THAT would be good.

Phil Hamilton likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#53 by Mark Mander , Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:38 pm

As you all know there are a few Planet of the Apes 200ft releases, some suffering with fade and some do retain good colour, those collectors might not be persuaded to buy a new print, a new 400 or 600 scope release would look superb though, same with Jason and the Argonauts I guess, im not being negative about the choices but realistic, if like Jaws you have a good colour print then it does have an impact on sales, if its a release that you have made for your own purpose then it doesn't matter.Mark

The following members like this: Don Cunningham, Phil Hamilton and Tom Photiou
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

Last edited 08.10.2022 | Top

#54 by Phil Hamilton , Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:45 am

Thanks for the quick responses !!

What I am seeing is ---

PLANET OF THE APES (1968)
CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)
JASON and THE ARGONAUTS (1963)

These would be 400' versions edited from excellent digital sources and edited to include a beginning middle and end- something we don't always see from prior releases of these films on 8mm. These were on the list I threw out. I appreciate the other suggestions too. Nice clean 400' COLOR versions of these would be fantastic. Letter boxed is likely - scope would only appeal to even a smaller crowd I am pretty sure.

Thank you!! I just received more feedback here than on the 8mm Forum.

The following members like this: Mark Mander and Tom Photiou
Phil Hamilton  
Phil Hamilton
Date registered 08.02.2022
ThankYou 4

#55 by Tom Photiou , Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:55 pm

Thats why everyone should join in here.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#56 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:10 pm

Well here is my two pence worth.Agree with Tom more people should join this site as response here is good.I applaud any and everyone who is trying to get any new release made.As said to obtain agreement on titles is not easy,some great suggestions on this thread and I'm sure some will come to fruition.
Personally I think I would be pleased with any title as it adds to the hobby and any new release is to be welcomed.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Phil Hamilton

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#57 by Greg Perry , Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:43 pm

I wonder if there is more interest in a Scope digest than originally thought. My thought is, any collector who wants to plunk down some sizable cash for a new digest is likely pretty serious about the hobby. I would speculate that many serious collectors would already have a scope lens? What do others here think?

Dave Baker likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#58 by Dave Baker , Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:27 pm

Very good question. Greg.
We all know a Scope lens would cost several hundred dollars, or more and a lot of collectors probably have one (I have several) BUT a lot of collectors DON'T have one too.
If I was releasing NEW films, I would NOT do scope, because it would restrict the number of viewers, and sales. Although I have heard of some people without a scope lens buying scope features and watching them " stretched ". Business wise, making a flat and scope print would not pay-off either. There just isn't enough collector's coming forward to make it worthwhile. And EVERYBODY can view a " Letterboxed " print with no problem. So, if you can afford a scope lens, GREAT!
I've got a few scope films - IT'S A MAD,MAD,MAD WORLD ( 800 ft. Digest ) , SUPERMAN 2 ( 1200 ft. Digest ) and DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ( 1600 ft. cut-down feature ) .
And in 16MM , just one feature - THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER ( 1960 - Vincent Price ).

The following members like this: John Armer, Martin Dew and Phil Hamilton

Dave Baker
Date registered 12.25.2021
ThankYou 24

#59 by Mark Mander , Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:01 pm

I never used to be into scope films but I do like them now, the films I've had made in 16mm are 85% scope, if its a title I'd like and not scope it wouldn't stop me buying it, Mark

Martin Dew likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#60 by Paul Browning , Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:56 pm

I might add "night of the Demon" and House on Haunted Hill " to this list of maybe's, perfect for halloween.

The following members like this: Phil Hamilton, Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#61 by Phil Hamilton , Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:42 am

yes HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL and NIGHT/CURSE OF THE DEMON would make great 400' cutdown digests.!!

Thanks for your suggestion.

Like Dave said though with the limited number of buyers for new SUPER 8mm releases - scope would not be desirable here because it would take an already small group of folks and make it even smaller. IMO.

Great discussion.

I wonder why I can't get the same amount of input and discussion on the 8mm Forum? Puzzling.

Martin Dew likes this
Phil Hamilton  
Phil Hamilton
Date registered 08.02.2022
ThankYou 4

#62 by Tom Photiou , Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:46 am

well, there you go Phil, i can never understand why they dont join in here as well, not instead of, but as well of, i did when i was allowed

I also use scope but i do understand what your saying about the limiting of sales / cost of having scope and flat. With scope 8mm prints they do have to be pin sharpe otherwise they just look awful as many of the early scope releases did. The Fog, T2 and Grease to name a few are very good examples of very good scope releases from the past so any new ones would have to match those, and I,m sure they would, but flat fits all.

Phil Hamilton likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Last edited 08.12.2022 | Top

#63 by Paul Browning , Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:28 pm

Curse of the werewolf, great screen shots David, did it get to be a complete item ?, one of my favourite hammer films, with Oliver reed perfectly cast as the beast, with makeup to match the universal film................

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Phil Hamilton
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#64 by Mark Mander , Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:40 pm

Phil wrote,
I wonder why I can't get the same amount of input and discussion on the 8mm Forum? Puzzling.

Yes it is a bit odd, as collectors you would think to get something special on super 8 that you would really like its important to have your say, there are very few opportunities these days to make it happen, even when Derann was in business there was little competition, even CHC doesn't bother anymore , the price is a big part too of course but it's always been an expensive hobby, an expensive way to watch films but that's not why we do it ,Mark

The following members like this: Phil Hamilton, Tom Photiou, Greg Perry and Martin Dew
Phil Hamilton sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

Cineworld probable Bankruptcy
BFCC Booked for April 2023

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor