Eiki NT help

#1 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:27 pm

Has anyone attempted to remove the flywheel of an NT projector? If so can you explain the method and mention if there is anything to be careful of in doing it/replacing it.
Many thanks

Terry Sills

RE: Eiki NT help

#2 by Tom Photiou , Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:27 pm

Hello Terry, i have removed mine a few times on my older NT1, it is relatively easy, sometimes the screw holding it in is well tight but once that single screw is off, simply, (firmly and gently) pull the flywheel off. A little side to side wiggle while pulling.
When you undo the screw you will need to just hold onto the flywheel to keep it still. Make sure the spring goes back on after.
When you do up the screw to the flywheel you may need to hold onto the sound drum so you can tighten it up.
Hope this helps.

This is from the repair/service book,
To avoid damage to screw heads, it is important to remember the adage of 70% push and 30% turn. I've found this to always be the case with projector screws bearing in mind how long most of them have been in place.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:41 pm

Thanks for that Tom. I tried undoing the screw in the centre of the flywheel but it wouldn't budge, even when wiggling it while pulling at the same time. I don't know if yours is the same but there is a screw on the shaft underneath the flywheel but I don't want to start taking things apart without knowing the consequences. Do you know what that screw is for?
Terry

Terry Sills

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Il take a look at my old nt1 later and be right back.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:37 pm

Terry,I find when I take the screw out initially I find the bigger the screw driver the better to apply the pressure making it easier to turn.Also the screwdriver head fits the screw head as neat and tight as possible.Sorry if I’m teaching....eggs.
Gwyn

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#6 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Gwyn
Sorry I should have been more specific. I was able to remove the screw in the centre of the flywheel easily, but unable to get the flywheel off the shaft. Not even to move it a fraction. As I explained to Tom, there is a screw underneath the flywheel and I wonder if by unscrewing that, if the flywheel assembly can be removed.
Terry

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Terry Sills

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:33 pm

Terry, Once that centre screw is off the flywheel should be able to be pulled off. I know the first time i toom mine off, (a few years ago now), it felt lioke it was welded, i had to just keep persevering with pulling and gently wiggling, here is the exploded diagram,

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:40 pm

Terry,Ah no problem,yes go for it remove screw on flywheel and yes it will come away.What I do now is if I’m at all concerned I take a load of photos on my phone so if the manual don’t make sense a picture says so much more.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#9 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:42 pm

My only experience of an Eiki, was buying one off Ebay, the belts were perished and the Philips head screws were so tight that many burred up. I bought belts but was unable to fit them, and the seller accepted it back.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#10 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:14 pm

Thanks Tom and all
I guess I will just have to persevere, but as you said Tom, it does seem 'welded'. Maybe a squirt of penetrating oil might help?
Terry

Terry Sills

#11 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:13 pm

Tom you were absolutely spot on. SUCCESS! (With the help of a drop of WD40 and a toffee hammer) . I needed to get it off in order to lubricate the flywheel bearings. The flywheel was not spinning freely and my experience is that it can cause the bottom loop to be lost due to excess drag on the film and resulting sprocket damage. Much better now and thanks for your input.
Terry

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson
Terry Sills

Bandsaw print sold for over 400 quid.
Identify please if possible

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor