RE:Vinegar Films

#1 by Ana Valine , Sun May 03, 2020 2:05 am

Hello,
I ordered some films and one of them arrived 'vinegared'. I opened the can and the smell was pretty strong. Is this film safe to play and work with or can I clean it somehow?
Thank you,
Ana

Ana Valine  
Ana Valine
Date registered 05.02.2020

RE:Vinegar Films

#2 by Greg Perry , Sun May 03, 2020 6:33 am

Hello,

Unfortunately if it is vinegar it cannot really be 'cured'. If, as a result of vinegar syndrome (VS), the film is warped or shrunken to where you cannot maintain focus or it simply won't run through the projector at all, you probably should dispose of it. Many collectors feel that a vinegar print can 'infect' other non-vinegar films.

If it was not disclosed as being 'VS smell' (vinegar) then you may want to consider returning it and getting your money back....

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: RE:Vinegar Films

#3 by Ana Valine , Mon May 04, 2020 3:26 am

Thank you, Greg. This is helpful. I'll unwind a bit and see what shape it's in.

Ana

Ana Valine  
Ana Valine
Date registered 05.02.2020

#4 by Maurice Leakey , Mon May 04, 2020 12:56 pm

May I ask why this new member does not have a full name?

Maurice

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#5 by Greg Perry , Mon May 04, 2020 4:08 pm

Hi Maurice,

Thank you for asking about this. The forum rule of first and last name is still in place. Unfortunately, almost all new members do not notice this requirement when signing up. So what I do is activate them, then communicate with them to get their full first and last name, and then update their membership.

Some new members never reply with the proper first and last name, in which case they are deleted after a minimum of 10 days. Other new members never even log-in once! I still have no idea why someone would sign-up and yet never even log-in! It happens very often, sadly.

I am working with Ana to get the full name. And, I will re-look at the automatic process of sign-up to see if we can improve it to obtain better first-time compliance.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Gwyn Morgan and Don Cunningham

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

Last edited 05.04.2020 | Top

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon May 04, 2020 4:37 pm

Greg,I,and all those members on here do appreciate the time that you and others spend sorting out the administrative side of the site.
With this in mind during present situation may I suggest that those persons who wish to sign up do it properly from the word go.I am sure no one would join the site with the intention of doing anything untoward but correct me if I am wrong ,there have been a number of significant ups’ that go nowhere.
If they really wanted to join they should do so with full details ,even if they don’t do anything after that at least we are reasonably sure they exist.
Sorry to bring this up again ,this is only my thoughts and I shall go with whatever ,if anything ,is decided.
Thanks
Gwyn.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#7 by Maurice Leakey , Mon May 04, 2020 4:40 pm

Thank you, Greg,
It is my thoughts that potential new members should not be activated unless their application is in accordance with the rules.
Also, it would be nice to know where members live, not their full address, but, at least, the country in which they reside.

Maurice

Robert Crewdson likes this
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 05.04.2020 | Top

#8 by Greg Perry , Mon May 04, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi Maurice and Gwyn,

Yes, that is an option we have also considered, the one benefit of activating them now, even with the improper name, is that I can then communicate with them via the Forum messaging system. Currently, the function where I can send them an actual email (as opposed to a PM here) doesn't work. In other words, I cannot send them a true internet email from an address such as "Admin@reelmagicfilmforum.com". I would have to use a private email account which they may not connect with the forum here and hence ignore it as being potential spam.

However, I am certainly happy to try your suggested approach even without a 'reelmagicfilmforum' email address. I will set up another separate email address, and use that to try and get the proper info before approving anyone new. If they don't respond they won't be activated.

As far as general location, there is value in knowing this, I agree. I will look at the software here and see if this is something that can be added. But at this point, I think to keep it as 'optional'--in other words a member can share this if they choose but won't be required to--at this time anyway--

It is very much appreciated when members take a moment to offer suggestions--so thank you both for doing so!

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#9 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon May 04, 2020 8:16 pm

Thank you for your answer much appreciated have fun getting applicants to comply 😃

Robert Crewdson likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

Cleaning 16mm films, Should you? Do you?
Elmo 16CL Will Not Rewind

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor