Cross Of Iron Full feature 1.85:1

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:43 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

This is one of our favourite films, we had the Iver 400 footer for well over 10 years, it wasn't too bad an edit was but marred by fade and a few heavy black lines. We were one of the Iver customers who placed an order for the upcoming 3 x 400ft version, unfortunately, they went bust before its release. I wonder if there is an iver 3 x 400ft version anywhere that may have been a test print.
Move onto 2016 and behold a 16mm feature print appeared on ebay. It was advertised as a near mint feature print. The few screenshots looked fabulous so i put in the buy it now price, thankfully, no one appeared to spot it beforehand.
The film arrived on 3 x 1600ft spools in plastic cans, it all looked very good, i gave it a good clean up with filmguard, put it on, and was very pleased to see it really was an excellent print in great shape and with excellent vibrant colours throughout, pin sharp image and great belting sound. It does appear to be a TV print, thankfully, the Americans dont mind the violence, which in a Peckinpah films is detrimental. However, they dont seem to like to show titties or bums . The result is two very slight edits which although minor, do make you wonder in one part what happens to the guy who goes into the room with the girl and dissapears, this is three minutes that will be restored back in.
The image appears to be slightly masked for widescreen, my guess is 1.85:1
What these images dont show is how bright and vibrant the greens are, the stock on the side of the film is 2 S (or 2 5), i have no idea what it is but it's like a new print. There is virtually no marks on any of the movie. Three very good splices only thoughout the whole film.
All in all, a great action war movie with some great actors including James Coburn, James Mason, David Warner and Maximilian Schell.

Cross of Iron (German: Steiner – Das Eiserne Kreuz, lit. "Steiner – The Iron Cross") is a 1977 war film directed by Sam Peckinpah, featuring James Coburn, Maximilian Schell, James Mason and David Warner. Set on the Eastern Front in World War II during the Soviets' Caucasus operations against the German Kuban bridgehead on the Taman Peninsula in late 1943, the film focuses on the class conflict between a newly arrived, aristocratic Prussian officer who covets winning the Iron Cross and a cynical, battle-hardened infantry NCO.

The film is noted for featuring historically accurate weaponry and equipment such as Soviet T-34/85 tanks (which were obtained from the arsenal of the Yugoslav People's Army, and kept especially for cinematic purposes), Russian PPSh-41s and German MG 42s and MP40s. According to star James Coburn, the Yugoslav government had promised that all the military equipment would be ready for the start of filming, but Hartwig's lack of budget meant that considerable delays occurred when half the equipment was missing just as the production was about to begin.

Attached pictures:
103 (Medium).JPG   123 (Medium).JPG  

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Vidar Olavesen, Eivind Mork, Gwyn Morgan and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Cross Of Iron Full feature 1.85:1

#2 by Clyde Miles , Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:37 pm

tom, thats agfa stock , nice print.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:03 pm

Thanks Clyde. Thats great news then, i know our copy of Witness is also Agfa and it does have a similar quality.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:41 am

Looks very nice indeed

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:53 am

Looks a nice print Tom, not seen this film before, good cast too,Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander
Last edited Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:56 am | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:24 pm

Reading official reviews on this film,many seem to say it wasnt Sam Peckinpahs best. I guess you could say that about any film he did, its all down to personal tastes. As a war film i think its one of the best, it is a very good cast and the battle sequences are very graphic.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#7 by Greg Perry , Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:27 pm

Tom,

One thing I noticed--and liked--from the pictures you posted was the complete lack of CGI effects on the explosions etc! I am more "old-school" and prefer the 'real' stuff used in the older war films like "Cross Of Iron", and "The Winter War", over today's modern stuff which I think is so way over-done that it often ends up ridiculous looking and fake as a result.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:33 pm

Totally agree, Greg. Old school is way better. I saw Dunkirk and CGI fly by scene was not very good at all. Mostly all CGI explosion look unnatural

Greg Perry likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#9 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:23 pm

100% agree with you Greg and Vidar. This film, the longest day and Kellys Heros are all great examples, to name just a few of realistic looking battles using real explosives and old school effects as well as very good production values.
CGI can be ok when used only when neccessary but unfortunatly, todays movies are done to death with them to the extent you just laugh.
As Vidar said before, the older films where made by real artists.
With Cross of iron you do get the benifit of the exposive action using Peckinpaha's trade mark slow motion.

Greg Perry likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 01.19.2020 | Top

Cromwell 1970, Agfa print. 4 x 1600ft Flat version
Dances With Wolves theatrical version.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor