Very difficult to say what you want on 16

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:35 am

The other day i was thinking of all the films i would like to be able to get hold of. Obviously only dreaming due to cost and the reality of space.
Browsing on ebay last night i saw some films on there i thought, "ive never heard of it". I read up a few reviews and added a couple more to my wanted list.
I think it was Andrew who said a long time ago,

"The beauty with 16mm film is there is an overwhelming amount of choice.
The only drawback with 16mm film is there is an overwhelming amount of choice!"

How true that is, i think if i had a massive bank account and a barn to store the films i'd be permanently hooked on buying. It is easy to see how large collections are amassed, very sadly, reading about Pinedean films fire the other day only brings home the importance of being very careful with how much we collect. How sad that was to see a lifetime collection go up like that.

My Brother has just made a purchase from the states of Beau Geste starring Gary Cooper. The funny about this was that i was simply browsing to see what i could by him for Christmas as this year, so far, there's nothing out there for him. He said read out whats for sale from the states as they seem to have more. As you know it's the postage that prohibits most of these sales.
As soon as i said Beau Geste he was like a kid, i didn't realise that this 1939 version is one of his favourite all time moves. I put in the first bid and won it Suffice to say, it will be from all of us, i aint made of money

So all in all, my wanted list grows bigger, but only in my mind, i do religiously intend to keep the collection to a reasonable size in order to be able to look after them and also to ensure they all get projected at least once every two years or preferably much more often.

Del Phillipson likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Very difficult to say what you want on 16

#2 by Eivind Mork , Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:46 pm

Very true! 16mm gives an endless amount of possibilities. You never know what to find, and that makes it fun to look for and find nice things, but also difficult to choose.

But it is also something with Super 8 that I like: There are lists of what was sold. Many of them with great covers too. That makes it easier to know what to look for. I love both gauges. But if I was to choose just one, I would have chosen Super 8. Luckily I don't have to choose :-)

Del Phillipson likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:16 pm

Eivind, i agree, if i had to choose one or the other i think it would be 8mm.
As far as 16mm goes i have been very fortunate to have got hold of some very good titles in a short space of time. The choice on 16 is very good. Over our 40 years of collecting we are also lucky enough to have seen the years where titkes were of reasonable prices.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#4 by Del Phillipson , Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:24 am

I'm with the both of you there, where I like 16mm, I love super 8, it was always my passion as a hobby back in the day, 16mm is more of a pastime.

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

The Littlest Angel...1950..16mm Kodachrome.....
This makes me feel a lot better 007 sale

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 3
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor