The 80 Days 400ft (approx 320ft) b/w Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:56 pm

This is one I've not heard of before i spotted it on ebay last week.
As i understand, this was released through DCR Films. The end titles indicate it was released on Super 8mm by Boxer Films Los Angeles.
The first thing you notice is how pin sharp and clean the whole print is with only a few very thin and minor black lines to the right and only now and again. Many of which are probably from the sourced material. I bid on this and made sure i went over what i would normally expect to pay for an 400ft film, but this one is exceptional. Very good sound,image and condition. An overall "A" print.

This is a short documentary Telling the story about the 'Doodle Bugs' attack on London. It starts off after the titles with a short narration at the start with scenes of Rockets within there factory or aerodrome. It then shows scenes of the UK with the military on standby for an attack and also shots of everyday people on farms and around other areas. It then follows the rockets as they fly toward the City and several being shot down, this is followed by some footage of the bombs which get through and follows the devastation they caused. You certainly get the idea of the fear these things caused as that distinctive motor sound suddenly cuts to silence, we see people in various positions looking up and taking cover before the explosion a minute later. We then follow a few more of those that got through and the terrible devastation they caused. There is also a fantastic piece of footage from a British plane as it fly's toward the incoming V1 rocket and shoots it down, to say how close the explosion comes to the cockpit is an understatement. This is a very tense short film with an awful lot of tension in parts.

Looking for, A Bridge too Far
The Untouchables, (K Costner)Trading Places, (theatrical only)Seven,Scrooged,Lock stock and two smoking barrels
A Fish called Wanda
Batman 1989

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Greg Perry, Eivind Mork, Del Phillipson and Paul Wilson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 01.14.2019 | Top

RE: The 80 Days 400ft (approx 320ft) b/w Sound

#2 by Eivind Mork , Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:55 am

What a great find! The V1's were terrifying as you could hear them approach. The pulse jet was very distinctive. Shooting it down was very risky for a fighter pilot as the explosion could damage the plane. After a while a better technique was developed where they flew next to it, put the wing tip of the plane under its wing tip and flipped it over. The auto pilot then failed and it rushed to the ground. If done in time before reaching a city it was a good way of getting rid of it. The screenshots look great!

Del Phillipson likes this
Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson say Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Del Phillipson , Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 am

That's my kind of film Tom, love WW2 documentaries, great knowledge and info Eivind.

Tom Photiou likes this
Eivind Mork sais Thank You!

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

Last edited 01.15.2019 | Top

#4 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:33 pm

That was some skill behind those pilots that did that.

The Untouchables, (K Costner)Trading Places, (theatrical only)Seven,Scrooged,Lock stock and two smoking barrels
A Fish called Wanda
Batman 1989

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Vidar Olavesen

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#5 by Eivind Mork , Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Related to air wars over Britain: I guess you also have the 4x400' Blitz on Britain? A very nice series I was happy to get.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Vidar Olavesen

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#6 by Del Phillipson , Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:41 pm

It's marvelous, I'd been after a nice copy of Blitz On Britain for years, now I have 2 copies, not checked either yet but I've Filmguarded one copy and it looked pretty mint. Will be viewing both very soon as one has to go.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#7 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:57 pm

The Blitz on Britain is one we have, another very good release too, in fact,as you say, this short Doodle bug film will make a great starter programme before The Blitz on Britain.

For anyone who would like to see the review it did a while back, here it is,

Blitz on Britain 4x400 B/W Sound Walton

A Fish called Wanda
Batman 1989

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Last edited 01.15.2019 | Top

Thats Dancing, Reels 1,2,4 & 5. Colour Sound LPP
The Avengers, Return of the Cybernauts 2 x 600ft Colour Sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor