The Avengers, Return of the Cybernauts 2 x 600ft Colour Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Derann could not have chosen a better episode of this TV Series to release on Super 8. A classic episode with a great cast, (Peter Cushing, Frederick Jaeger, Charles Tingwell, Fulton Mackay, Roger Hammond, Noel Coleman, Aimi MacDonald, Redmond Phillips). As with many of these the colour has unfortunately faded. This is another odd one though as the night scenes appear normal with colours but the daytime scenes, while very sharp have lost mush of it colour yet skin tones are actually quite good with greens outdoors are still there along with yellows. Sound is 1st class and the image itself very sharp and clear but again, on a downer, this print does have some lines and like a handful of our films is actually an ex library print from movieland international so along with other titles, (Where Eagles Dare, Wild Geese, & Hannie Caulder), we got this one for £15 at least 20/25 years ago. Every time we watch it we say, one last time, but after we say, "maybe next time"
If i bought this today it would either go back for a refund or binned. We dont normally keep stuff with these kind of scratches but i have to say this particular when viewed, tends to keep you looking at the film not the lines. It must also be said, as i often do, my old digi camera appears to make the fade a lot worse than it actually is.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Attached pictures:
IMG_3706.JPG  

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Gwyn Morgan, Vidar Olavesen and David Ollerearnshaw

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

RE: The Avengers, Return of the Cybernauts 2 x 600ft Colour Sound

#2 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:06 pm

I wouldn't mind watching a film with these flaws at all! If the film is good I don't mind some scratches.

The Avengers is a name I have come across many times but never seen. I must get around watching it some day.

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by David Skillern , Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi Tom,

I'll have to watch my copy of this - it has fade - not sure if its a much as yours - but never bin it - its a fantastic episode - i have the other two as well - The Positive Negative Man and The Living Dead - these Avengers episodes are great especially as they have wonderful guest artists but of course the wonderful but late Patrick Macnee and the great Diana Rigg

Tom Photiou likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#4 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 pm

We do have the positive negative man but havnt been able to get the living dead. Defiantly wont be binning this one David.
Elvind, one thing that stands out on all of the Avengers,episodes, (and it is in these releases), is that classic opening music and theme. Derann did well to keep this in. Something that Columbia ,(in my opinion), did wrong on there 400ft Flintsones and Top Cat releases, they excluded those classic opening title sequences with the songs we all know and love and when you watch them you just know something is missing.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#5 by David Skillern , Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:18 am

Hi Tom,

totally agree with you - i have some flintstones episodes on super 8 but I did buy one from Paul Foster on 16mm just to have the complete opening and closing titles.

Tom Photiou likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:56 am

Yes it's a pity that the Columbia produced Super 8mm prints didn't follow the same pattern as those from Techno.

No musical intro on the 200's but 400's all had full intros.

What I did with one reel of two episodes joined together on a 800ft reel and then added the Flintstones music as an intro on some sound leader film.
Not as good of course and still very much a compromise, but better than nothing I thought at the time.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:07 am | Top

#7 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Loved The Avengers, bought all three new. Didn't the opening and closing tag scene get cut-out? If you watch The Living Dead episode in the underground near the end you catch a quick glimpse of the 35mm camera.

And here's the theme

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Tom Photiou likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

The 80 Days 400ft (approx 320ft) b/w Sound
The Beatles Come to Town/SCOPE

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor