Superman 2 / 2 x 600ft Scope LPP

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:00 pm

This is another one of those winning 2 x 600ft edits released by Derann when they were at there peak. While the quality of this release is very very good the grading of some of the daytime scenes hasn't quite got the edge as The Fog or Grease but it is still very good and certainly shows off the Scope screen perfectly. The sound on my copy is excellent though mono but as my shows go via my pioneer stereo amp, i get excellent twin mono sound that can lift the roof should i require it.
This print is in very good condition throughout, just that little thin black line at the very start for a few seconds which, with a little clean, should be reduced. It also includes the full titles sequence and the final diner sequence both very well edited in. I thought there were huge sound differences on these but i was wrong, (thankfully), the edits are very good with the same framing as the main film, the sound is just about the same so no need to adjust. Colour, as you would expect from an LPP print is first class with the night scenes looking really good and with perfect contrast. I myself am not a super heroes movie fan but i do like the first two Superman movies and also the Batman with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson and the first two Spiderman films, other than that i give a wide birth to everything after.
This particular home release, IMO, is the best of the Superman films, more action, better story line, (all be it thin), and certainly the best edit.
I remember Barry Normans review of this film upon its release, at that time it was 60 million dollars and was the most expensive film made with the New York Street reconstructed within the studio in order to destroy it. So much better than any CGI trash.

By the way, during the full title sequence the audience gets a complete recap of the first superman movie, so if you either havnt seen it, or only have this one without the first film then you can pretty much pick up what happened previously.

I wont bother with a long read up of the story as i think most people here will know it but in short,

Superman agrees to sacrifice his powers to start a relationship with Lois Lane, unaware that three Kryptonian criminals he inadvertently released are conquering Earth.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Greg Perry, David Alligan and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 04.19.2018 | Top

RE: Superman 2 / 2 x 600ft Scope LPP

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:15 pm

Great looking print. I think Superman 2 is the best in the series; I also like the final diner scene.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

#3 by Tom Photiou , Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:24 pm

Thanks Robert, yes i think Derann were very wise to release the 200ft title and diner sequence. It certainly makes this 2 x 600ft version much more complete as it was one of the scenes many people remembered.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:45 am

Great film Tom, great print too! Must give my own copy a viewing again soon.

Review, as ever, superb Tom even when concise.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:53 am | Top

#5 by David Ollerearnshaw , Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 am

I have the 2x600ft but never got the top and tail ones. I originally had this on super 8 letterboxed from L.A. Films, more or less the same edit,ut with some longer scenes left.

Theres a really good image of the street with the crew stood setting things up. It was massive.

And I still believe a man can fly. (without the need of cgi)

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Tom Photiou likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:55 pm

After the release of the first Superman film, I met two of the special effects team; one was Derek Meddings, I don't remember the name of the other. In the film, Superman goes to his home, where he was able to playback a recording of his parents. The home contained crystals; these crystals were dumped outside one of the stages at Pinewood.

Tom Photiou likes this
Robert Crewdson

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:16 pm

80 year anniversary this year, I just found out earlier for this character.

I really like these first two films that are on Super 8mm.
Superman 3 and even 4 I believe, are available on 8 but only as optical airline prints.

I have 3 but is now fading but only slightly compared to many others. It looks about the same as Over The Top which just like S3 still contains all of its colours, but all are just a little muted and lean towards a slight pinkish cast overall now.

The original WB 3x 400ft cut down is now also about the same on the copy I have.

I never found S2 particularly grainy btw Tom, you'd have to elaborate on that one. Some neg sparkle here and there but otherwise a lovely print as your SS's suggests.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:07 am | Top

Super 8 Trailers, Miracle on 34th Street / Home Alone
Sweet Charity/Bob Fosse Behind the scenes WOW

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor