Star Trek The Motion Picture 1 x 800ft

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:54 pm

No need to tell you the plot of this 1979 movie, This is the marketing 3 x 400ft version joined onto an 800ft spool, we bought this one new upon its release so this copy is probably around 35 years old at least. Bearing that in mind this copy ,while showing early signs of fade, this copy has held up very well. As always i am a little frustrated with these images as you cant see the colours we do on the screen, the blacks are still black with only one or two scenes in reel one showing that light red hue. Now this is one that marketing did edit quite well, and with a Paramount logo to open up and an original end caption, here shown, you do actually feel like you have watched the film. No sudden edits and no cuts in the soundtrack. If only they did this well with All of there 3 x 400ft releases.
The last i viewed this print was 31/01/2013, five years ago, the comment on my log, (captain Tommy's Log), was "light fade, 5%". This doesn't appear to be any different today so we are very pleased. There should be a few good years left in this one yet. Well edited, fast moving and great quality.
As this is a review here is a summary,
The Federation calls on Admiral James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and the crew of the Starship Enterprise to contain an immense nimbused object that's on a crash course with Earth. After investigating, the crew discovers that the alien cloud harbours artificial intelligence with an ominous primary directive. Crisis strikes when a probe dispatched by the energy cloud attacks the crew, abducting navigator Lt. Ilia (Persis Khambatta). An android look-alike containing her memories shows up soon after

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Attached pictures:
startrek1 (8).JPG  

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 02.06.2018 | Top

RE: Star Trek The Motion Picture 1 x 800ft

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Another fine Marketing print Tom. The colours are still excellent on this one.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Looks good to me Tom; amazing for a Super 8 print of that age.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Tom Photiou , Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:40 pm

Cheers chaps, it isn't bad, i have seen some of these completely red in the past so we are lucky with this one, if only marketing used Agfa. Mind you they did on some of there prints, we have both war of the worlds, and the hunter, (both reviewed on here) on Agfa stock, they are stunning prints to.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#5 by Martin Dew , Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:48 am

Now that's a coincidence you posted this today, Tom. I just got my copy from Reel Image today. Steve says it's on low fade stock, and I must say there isn't a hint of fade anywhere.

Does it fit on an 800ft spool, Tom? I attempted winding mine onto an 800ft Schneider from a 1200ft had to abort the operation. Didn't look like it was going to go.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#6 by Tom Photiou , Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:20 am

Hello Martin, yes ours does fit fine onto an 800 and i would say theres room for a trailer if i wanted to add one. When an 800 taje up is half ful with these marketing films and you see whats left on the feed spool it often looks like the up wont be big enough but so far only Marathon man from our marketing films is the one you have to watch as this one is a very full 800.

Martin Dew sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#7 by Martin Dew , Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks, Tom. I got Marathon Man onto a Schneider 800, so I'll try ST again today.

Tom Photiou likes this

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

#8 by Martin Dew , Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Tom, it turns out that I definitely can't get Star Trek tight-wound onto an 800ft spool, either Bolex or Schneider. Both will overflow quite significantly. I wonder if because this is low-fade, and therefore Agfa I assume, that the thickness of the stock is greater? Or did Marketing issue different edits for different territories? I don't know much about the different stocks, so maybe someone can chime in?

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

#9 by Eivind Mork , Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:54 pm

I have one on 400' that is totally red. Yours look great!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#10 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Martin, it must be Agfa which does make sense as usually a Marketing 3 x 400 will always fit nicely with room to spare. However, i do have a couple on Agfa which, although they are on an 800 foot spool, the reels are absolutely full and require a clip. (i dont want to waste a 1200ft reel). Those titles are War of the Worlds, The Hunter. The normal stock for Marketing was the very thin but strong polyester, a 400ft spool running fro the usual time was around 330ft of film.

Martin Dew sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Star Trek Blooper Reels.
Star Trek The Motion Picture Scope Trl

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor