Laurel & Hardy Below Zero, 400ft b/w sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:25 pm

We now have 28 L & H films, both shorts and a few features, i wouldn't normally do a review on any as we all know so much about these great timeless comedians from all years past. They are readily available on the 8mm gauge and there quality varies very much. We are fortunate enough to have mostly good ones , one or two a little bright on the contrast but i selected this one as the image is certainly one of the best, and Below zero made me laugh my nuts off as kid, i remember the first time i saw Stan being pulled out of the barrel at the end and as i youngster could not stop laughing.
The plot, if you need it,
Laurel and Hardy have no success earning money on a bleak, snowy winter's day, especially when playing In the Good Old Summertime. Their instruments are destroyed in an argument with a woman, but Stan finds a wallet. They are chased by a thief, but are protected by a police officer. Stan and Ollie share a slap-up meal with the cop, but unfortunately, Stan finds out the wallet in fact belongs to the cop. When the policeman discovers this he tells the waiter who throws them out of the restaurant and throws Stan upside down in a barrel of water. Oliver finds Stan who now has an enormous stomach after drinking all the water while trapped in the barrel.
First released on April 26th 1930 & originally distributed by MGM.
I'm not too sure which company release this particular 400ft short on 8 as it came to us in a very nice plastic case with no label, there is no Walton logo on it so i am guessing it isnt there version, that said it does have a better than average image with good b/w contrasts and very good sound. These photos taken during projection dont do the sharpness of the image any justice.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 11.02.2016 | Top

RE: Laurel & Hardy Below Zero, 400ft b/w sound

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:31 pm

Possibly a Blackhawk Tom?

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:46 pm

Love this. Thanks for takling the time :-) They are great, most their films

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#4 by Eivind Mork , Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Thanks for sharing! Most of you might know this well, but there are some of us that haven't seen all those classics :-)

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#5 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:40 am

I haven't seen all of them either Eivind. But I much prefer this comedy team over any other that I can think of. :-) I think if this were a Blackhawk print, that the titles would have been replaced at the beginning? Vidar should know the answer, as he has nearly everything that Laurel and Hardy made. :-)

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:43 am | Top

#6 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:31 am

I also have this, again a personal favourite as it's the very first L & H film I ever bought back in the days, I watched it so many times. Great photo's Tom, must watch this again soon.

P.S. not sure of it's origin, mine was bought from someone in the USA so presuming it's a Blackhawk print.

Tom Photiou likes this
Del Phillipson

#7 by Tom Photiou , Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:35 pm

Yep i think it must be a Blackhawk one as Andy said as well.
Will pop up a couple of others later.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last Train From Gunhill 5 x 400ft colour feature
Laurel & Hardy, Helpmates,400ft B/W Sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor