Dressed to Kill, 3 x 400ft edited onto 1 x 800.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:19 pm

The plot,
In its simplest form, a poor mans Psycho,

Here is the 3 x 400 ft storyline with help from wiki edited to this version.

Kate Miller (Angie Dickinson) is a sexually frustrated housewife who is in therapy with New York City psychiatrist Dr. Robert Elliott (Michael Caine). During an appointment, Kate attempts to seduce him, but Elliott rejects her advances.
Kate goes to the Metropolitan Museum where she has an unexpected flirtation with a mysterious stranger. Kate and the stranger stalk each other through the museum until they finally wind up outside, where Kate is lured by him to a taxi. They begin to have sex and continue at his apartment.
Hours later, Kate awakens, realising the time decides to discreetly leave while the man, Warren Lockman (Ken Baker), is asleep. Mortified, she leaves the apartment. In her haste, she has left her wedding ring on the nightstand, so she returns to retrieve it.
The elevator doors open on the figure of a tall, blond woman in dark sunglasses wielding a straight razor. Kate is slashed to death in the elevator. A high-priced call girl, Liz Blake (Nancy Allen), happens to stumble upon the body. She catches a glimpse of the killer, therefore becoming both the prime suspect and the killer's next target.
Dr. Elliott receives a bizarre message on his answering machine from "Bobbi" (voice of William Finley), a transgender patient. Bobbi taunts the psychiatrist for breaking off their therapy sessions, apparently because Elliott refuses to sign the necessary papers for Bobbi to get a sex change operation. Elliott tries to convince Dr. Levy (David Margulies), the patient's new doctor, that Bobbi is a danger to herself and others.
Police Detective Marino (Dennis Franz) is sceptical about Liz's story, partly because of her profession, so Liz joins forces with Kate's revenge-minded son Peter (Keith Gordon) to find the killer. Peter, an inventor, uses a series of homemade listening devices and time-lapse cameras to track patients leaving Elliott's office. They catch Bobbi on camera, and soon Liz is being stalked by a tall blonde in sunglasses. Several attempts are subsequently made on Liz's life. One, in the New York City Subway, is thwarted by Peter, who sprays Bobbi with homemade mace.
Liz and Peter scheme to learn Bobbi's real name by getting inside Dr. Elliott's office. Liz baits the therapist by stripping to lingerie and coming on to him, distracting him long enough to make a brief exit and leaf through his appointment book. Peter is watching through the window when a blonde pulls him away. When Liz returns, a blonde with a razor confronts her; the blonde outside shoots and wounds the blonde inside, the wig falls off, and it is Dr. Elliott, revealing that he is also Bobbi. The blonde who shot Bobbi is actually a female police officer, revealing herself to be the blonde who has been trailing Liz.
Elliott is arrested and placed in an insane asylum. Dr. Levy explains that Elliott wanted to be a woman, but his male side would not allow him to go through with the operation. Whenever a woman sexually aroused Elliott, Bobbi, representing the female side of the doctor's personality, became threatened.
In a final sequence, Elliott escapes from the asylum and slashes Liz's throat in a bloody act of vengeance. She wakes up screaming, Peter rushing to her side, realizing that it was just a dream.

This a film that always seemed to be on all the lists for most of the time, as an edit it is quite good but the original reviews of the print itself were never that good, colours were weak, contrast poor & appeared fading even from new so what you see here is pretty much how it’s always been, its never really got any worse, also not very sharp, sound it average, we have it edited onto an 800 ft spool and there is room for another 150/20ft so running time is around 40 minutes, our print is in very good condition with little or no marks,(even though on the yellow cab I appeared to have caught a one frame with what looks like a scratch but it isn’t. All in all a very average print, had this have been an excellent quality release with good colours and a nice sharp image I think it would have been a much better film,
Print and sound B.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Dressed to Kill, 3 x 400ft edited onto 1 x 800.

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:32 pm

Got this one too or was it 2x400' Must check

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:03 pm

Originally supplied as a 3 x 400 footer they also did a 400ft version.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:19 pm

I've only seen random clips of this movie but it looks to be an interesting film. Pino Donaggio composed the musical score for this, as well as the score for "Carrie" (1976). I really dig a film with a moving musical score. :-) Thank you for the review Tom.

Tom Photiou likes this
Timothy Duncan

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:44 pm

I have in my own collection, "Dressed To Kill" also. It is a very watchable film and follows the same proven formula of all Brian Dr Palma films with an unexpected twist at the end of the film.

Anything with Nancy Allen in it, is always worth a watch! 😊😊

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:03 pm | Top

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:07 pm

Tim, all pre-2000 De Palma is excellent, so see this and also Blowout with Travolta and the lovely Nancy Allen

Did you ever get to see Star Wars?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#7 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi Vidar,
So far, only have had a chance to see the original Star Wars. :-) I can see why it is such a popular film, especially with the guys.
I have seen one other DePalma film, "The Fury" (1978). Was that one ever released on super 8?

Timothy Duncan

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:01 pm

No it wasn't Timothy sadly.

Andrew Woodcock

#9 by Eivind Mork , Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:55 pm

Thanks for sharing! Another film I haven't seen. Great print!

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#10 by Eivind Mork , Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:56 pm

Quote: Andrew Woodcock wrote in post #5
I have dressed to kill also.

I had to read that twice :-)

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:59 pm

it's definitely one worth looking out for still Eivind. Colour does vary somewhat now on these, but there are still ones at large with pretty good colour. Not LPP standards of course, but pretty good nevertheless.

Same goes for Carrie as Vidar's recently displayed print here proved.

Andrew Woodcock

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:02 pm

Yes it wasn't written very well Eivind, I agree. Lol.

I've corrected it slightly now, hopefully it makes a little more sense.😂😂

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock

Dont Lose your Head, (carry on) 4 x 400ft
Duck Soup 400ft U8 B/W

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor