Dont Lose your Head, (carry on) 4 x 400ft

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Well, this was another of those viewings to take images to sell on, it was fading 5 years ago so i expected it to be completely bollocksed, as it happens, it's about the same as last time. Again, these images are pretty poor and appear to make the fade a lot worse than it actually is, Oddly enough, the night scenes, (like out Avengers film), are actually very good with most of the colours intact. Very odd!
The images are OK but dont show how good a clarity the print has, such a shame, (as always) about the poxy fade. Once again Brother decided to keep it another year!!!!

Don't Lose Your Head is the thirteenth in the series of Carry On films to be made. It features regular team members Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Jim Dale, Charles Hawtrey and Joan Sims. French actress Dany Robin makes her only carry on appearance in Don't Lose Your Head. It was released in 1966. Set in France and England in 1789 during the French Revolution, it is a parody of Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel.
The first Carry On to be produced by the Rank Organisation, Don't Lose Your Head was not conceived as a part of the series and was first released without the Carry On prefix. However the ongoing popularity of the series persuaded Rank to add the prefix to this and the following film, Follow that Camel, when they were re-released.

It is the time of the French Revolution, and two bored English noblemen, Sir Rodney Ffing (pronounced "Effing") and his best friend Lord Darcy Pue (played by Sid James and Jim Dale respectively), decide to have some fun and save their French counterparts from beheading by the guillotine.
Enraged revolutionary leader Citizen Camembert (Kenneth Williams) and his toadying lackey, Citizen Bidet (Peter Butterworth), scour France and England for the elusive saviour of the French nobles, who has become known as The Black Fingernail. After abducting the Fingernail's true love, Jacqueline (Dany Robin), Camembert and Bidet plot to lure the Fingernail to his death... oblivious that Desiree (Joan Sims), Camembert's flamboyant sister, is herself in love with the hero and will do all she can to save him from the guillotine.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Attached pictures:
IMG_3785.JPG  

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Dont Lose your Head, (carry on) 4 x 400ft

#2 by Graham Sinden , Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:12 pm

A nice sharp print you have there Tom. Shame about the colour. Who released this. Is it a derann? I love all the carry on's.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 07.06.2017 | Top

#3 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:43 pm

HELLO GRAHAM, I BELIEVE THIS ONE WAS A PM RELEASE ON 4 X 400 SPOOLS, SLIGHTLY ABRIDGED FEATURE.
i DO STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL BOXES AS WE HAVE MOUNTED IT ONTO 2 X 800 FT REELS. I WILL CHECK TOMORROW TO BE CERTAIN.

Oops. sorry about the capitols there, my caps lock got stuck and i couldn't be bothered to re type.
Next week we will be viewing our walton 4 x 400 of carry on cleo. one of my favourites & i know that one has excellent colour and sound as well as being very sharp.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 07.06.2017 | Top

#4 by Graham Sinden , Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:07 am

I also have the walton Cleo 4x400 and it too has excellent colour but part of the way through the sound goes out of sync so keep an eye on your copy Tom
when watching it. I still like it though as the print is good and the sync issue dosent bother me too much.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#5 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Oddly enough Graham, ours does that at the first part of reel 1. We do have a slight sound drop out on reel 3 though for around 5 /8 seconds which is annoying but in an 80 minute film its irrelevant especially when we only paid £40 for it.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#6 by David Alligan , Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:49 pm

Definitely PM Release

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
David Alligan  
David Alligan
Date registered 07.11.2016
home: Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK
ThankYou 45

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:11 am

Yep, i pulled the original boxes out and PM all over the box

Such a shame it wasn't on better stock but as commented, (the images really dont show it) the image has pin sharp focus. Reel one seems to have suffered the most with the fade.
When it first came on we both said, "nope, get it sold, the reel two came on as though it was from a different feature, reel three was ok once past the first few minutes and reel four was better again.
Reel one being out in the sunshine and daylight for most of the reel, these sort of scenes normally make the fade less worse but in this case it is the worst reel by far. This fade is so weird.
So is taking the images, the 4th line of images makes the background have a red hue when in fact those bushes behing the actors are actually green all be it less green than it should be hence why i always put "the images taken make the fade look worse than it is". Not great when you are selling.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 07.09.2017 | Top

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:14 am

There is chance the reels may be on different stock Tom. It is not the most unlikely explanation when you find things like this with different reels from features.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#9 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:56 am

This and Carry On Screaming are two of the best. Both seem to have lavish sets too.

On the company that released Don't Loose Your Head I don't think it was P.M. Films I would have said Powell Films. P.M. did Carry on Up the Khyber in a 600ft.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#10 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:08 am

This copy has now been sold due to the amount of fade of three of the reels. such a shame as this was /is a very funny carry on. David, you are right, it was Powell films who released this one.
This continues our selling run of films which are fading beyond what we are comfortable with, any further fade will render a film,(in our opinion) as useless and unmatchable for any audience. we ourselves dont mind but i want any visiting my film room to watch a film and say wow that was good, not "why not go blu ry and at least get a decent picture". To show off cine you need a good colour,(or b/w) image and a clear picture, not one thats red or pink.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Dont Give up the Ship. Jerry Lewis Feature b/w sound Viacom
Dressed to Kill, 3 x 400ft edited onto 1 x 800.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor