The Rose 400ft colour sound.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:10 pm

This is a film that I have not seen as a full feature, only this 17 minute 400ft version from Fox. Here is a brief outline with the help of wiki,

The Rose is a 1979 American musical drama film directed by Mark Rydell, and starring Bette Midler. Loosely based on the life of Janis Joplin, the film follows a self-destructive rock star in the late 1960s, who struggles to cope with the pressures of her career and the demands of her ruthless business manager.
Originally titled Pearl (after Janis Joplin's nickname, which was also the title of her last album), the film's screenplay was revised and fictionalized after her family declined to allow the producers the rights to her story.
The Rose was nominated for four Academy Awards including Best Actress in a Leading Role (Bette Midler, in her screen debut), Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Frederic Forrest), Best Film Editing and Best Sound. Midler performed the soundtrack album for the film, and its title track became one of her biggest hit singles.

This 400ft foot version is quite well edited, a generous helping of the original titles leads into a live performance. The rest of film is simple to follow and unusually for an early 80s Fox release on the 8mm gauge, some of harsh language is maintained which adds well to the mood of the film and problems of drink and drugs that Mary Rose caused to herself.
The colours have held up very well on this print and the sound is good. The image, (in my opinion) i would grade at A-/B+ as it's good but a tad off being sharp. I wouldn't go so far as to call it soft.
This edit has focused more on the soundtrack of the film but where I think the editors went wrong with this one is not making it an additional two minutes to include her collapse and death on stage at the very end from a drink and drugs overdose, this would have made it a more complete film and a far better edit. As it stands, it's just extracts stringed together, this particular version ends with the song, "Stay with me".
I do like this short version for some of the music but without the proper ending it doesn't feel complete. After the end title fades out the AMPR, R restricted logo is added, i cant recall seeing the rating on many 400ft edits but i do always prefer it when these are added. Derann added the AA certificate on the 400 edit of Kingdom of the spiders.
When these are added to any version with a few and end titles it does feel more like you have watched the film.
The images here are quite poor, the screen image is quite a bit more colourful and also, while not pin sharp, it is a lot better the these screenshots.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

The Cuckoo Clock, Tex Avery cartoon, 200ft colour sound
REEL COLLECTOR FAVOURITES - New Release

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor