Christmas Trailers #3

#1 by Graham Sinden , Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:52 pm

Here we have a fantastic new release from DORUN films put together by Lee Mannering who also pays for all the charges in getting this released so we all owe him a debt of thanks.

If you also have Christmas Trailers No.1 and No.2 this is equally as good and is longer making a very full 200ft reel. The reel is supplied in a box with glossy artwork and wrapped in clear plastic for that professional touch.

The reel begins with the Ari 2k Leader a nice touch I've not seen on other reels but you have to be quick to see it. This is followed by a colourful animated UGC cinema logo. There is then a nice but very non-pc animated advert for Bon Bon ice cream I've not seen before. If you look at the photos below you can see why this would not be shown in today's world . Next the 4 full trailers, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, The Santa Clause 2, Fred Claus (which is presented in letterbox) and finally Nativity which sadly is a tad overexposed in a few scenes but is a lovely inclusion as it has a host of British stars in it. The reel closes with a lovely cinema greetings message with a band singing wishing us a Merry Christmas. Santa even speaks at the end also wishing us a Merry Christmas.

Overall another excellent reel of Christmas Trailers and very repeatable over the next few months . Print quality is excellent, nice and sharp throughout. Sound quality is excellent as Lee re-records these himself in better quality. I believe there is only 1 print run of these so grab it while you can, you will not be disappointed. A wonderful reel for your Xmas shows. 10/10 well done Lee.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tom Photiou and Eivind Mork
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 10.09.2022 | Top

RE: Christmas Trailers #3

#2 by Tom Photiou , Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:34 am

Thanks for the review Graham, it looks very good.
Are you able to let us know what the running times of the trailers are? I know a lot of work goes into these, i was on the list for one but unfortunately, many 16mm films have come up and have taken priority, a full feature of Guilty by Suspicion, (reviewed here), came up in mint condition and not for much more than the trailer reel so it was a no briner for me.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#3 by Paul Browning , Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:08 pm

Trailers like this are seasonal and can only really be shown at christmas time, so i won't be buying any of these regardless of who puts them out, good luck if you like that kind of thing ..............

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#4 by Tom Photiou , Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:29 pm

Yeah thats true, i know some people will put xmas films up in the year which i for one dont tend to do.
The problem at present time is, it is a little difficult to convince the other half that spending £125 on a 200ft reel of film is acceptable while the cost of living is soaring ahead. monies i raise with sales of my own films only goes on 16mm features these days.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Last edited 10.10.2022 | Top

#5 by Mark Mander , Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:44 pm

Unfortunately I can't justify a purchase at the moment but I wouldn't spend £125 on a seasonal trailer reel anyway, it would have to be something of great interest to spend that amount, Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#6 by Graham Sinden , Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:28 pm

I must admit I still watch Christmas films either side of christmas as I love christmas and want it to last longer. I remember some years ago when I was so busy at christmas I never got the chance to get the projector out so I watched MIckey's Christmas Carol and The Snowman in January and I have also looked at Madagascar Penguins in April just to see that quality again. I don't watch Christmas Films in the summer but I do start thinking about Xmas from September onwards. Maybe I'm crazy . I can however justify spending all this money on 3 Christmas trailer reels as they are so nice and I just love projecting Super 8 shorts, I will get my money's worth from them.

Tom I didn't time any of the reel but I read elsewhere that it lasts 10 minutes and is a very full reel nearly upto the edge. It has also been stated on the other channel it is 217ft cramed on a 200ft reel.

As for the trailers I didn't time any but these are what is on there with the exact trailer (I think from memory)

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation trailer

The Santa Clause trailer

Fred Claus trailer

Nativity trailer

so as you can see they are good length trailers and the whole reel makes for nice xmas show. I must admit I've never seen the last 3 films but want to now to get a sense of the trailer content.

The reel is not for everybody as it's seasonal and not cheap but it gives me a lot of pleasure projecting new films that are sharp and not faded .

Tom Photiou likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
ThankYou 45

Last edited 10.10.2022 | Top

#7 by Mark Mander , Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:13 pm

At that price Graham I can see why you'd run it all year, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#8 by Eivind Mork , Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:23 am

For me Christmas films is some of what interest me the most. It is at a time of the year with long dark days here in Norway and nothing to do out side. A perfect time to watch films. And combine that with Christmas itself which takes me right back to when I was little. Can't go wrong with a Christmas reel.

Graham Sinden likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#9 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:24 pm

Thanks Graham,
I think if i was 20 years younger when my three children were youngsters i would consider it, unfortunately, 16mm has grabbed my attention and with so many titles popping up i'd kick myself spending that amount now only to see a feature on 16 come up for the same. Despite the insane prices we often see on ebay, 16mm films actually do come up fairly often at sensible prices.
As for Christmas, i am also a big fan, September is also when i start to think about it and i'll light the inside of my home from December 1st.
What i would love to get hold of is a good Christmas movie like Scrooged, Home Alone,(1 or 2) and Trading places, among others. Super 8 always seem restricted on Christmas features, i know Barry said that Derek Simmonds had the rights to release Home Alone as a feature on 8mm, not doing so, in my opinion, was a huge misjudgement.

Graham Sinden likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#10 by Graham Sinden , Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:15 pm

Yes I know what you mean Tom about the price of these new shorts when you can get a used full feature for the same. Back in the day you could buy a single trailer for about £15 or a trailer reel for not much more. Not today i'm afraid . Those features you mention should be out there on 16mm, hopefully you will be lucky one day .

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
ThankYou 45

#11 by Graham Sinden , Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:22 pm

sorry please delete

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
ThankYou 45

Last edited 10.12.2022 | Top

#12 by Eivind Mork , Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:13 pm

Do you mind if I link to this review from super8database, Graham?

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#13 by Graham Sinden , Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:23 pm

Hi Eivind,

No problem you can link this review (and any of my reviews if you want).

Also could you rename the other 2 Christmas trailer reels as Christmas Trailers #1 and Christmas Trailers #2 just to keep them the same. You could still put the year by them. Just a suggestion if not too much trouble.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
ThankYou 45

#14 by Eivind Mork , Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:39 pm

Thanks a lot, Graham! The review has been added, and the two other renamed!

Graham Sinden sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

Derann Ad reel 10
Adventures of a Plumbers Mate,400ft colour Sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor