Adventures of a Plumbers Mate,400ft colour Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:30 pm

This release from Major 8 movies was one of many odd titles among a few good ones this company released. It has a host of 70s British comedy actors as well as the very well know singer Elaine Paige who is only in this version at the very end, as it happens, Elaine Paige attempted to have her name removed from the advertisement's for the film after she became famous in Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webbers "Evita".

The "Adventures of" movies never were particularly funny, they do raise a smile but were not as much fun compared to the "Confessions of" movies, which, themselves, were simply an attempt at the carry on films with the added bonus of tits, bums and comedy sex sequences. My personal favourite of which we do have the 2 x 400 version is Confessions of a driving instructor.

This version of Adventures of a Plumbers mate is probably as much as anyone would want to see. A very simple story, much of the acting is as wooden as you could imagine, the comedy is pretty dull, but where it is fun, (aside rather a lot of nudity), is the amount of old British comedy stars that make an appearance. All of the guest stars are completely wasted in this film, Stephen Lewis, (Blakey from on the buses), Arthur Mullard who plays an aggressive Mr Big character who has no comical lines to deliver, Jerold Wells who's only job is to stand along side Mullard looking dumb, Suzy Mundell who's only purpose is to get her clothes off and get in the shower, and many others that are not in this 400ft edition. In a nutshell, the main character is a gambler, Sid South who meets lots of girls through his job but is also in debt with gambling and rent arrears. The only film in this series worth watching for a laugh is "Adventures of a private eye". This film was the last in the series, and sadly the worst.

This major 8 release is actually quite good quality, the colour is very good so clearly this is a low fade print. it is slightly soft but not quite as bad as the MGM 400 footers but just not quite sharp. Sound is good but nothing special, but i bought it because it was fiver when i was at Ealing and it does have its original clamshell case. All in all a pretty good cut down but unfortunately, if i were doing an official review for sales, i could not recommend this as a good comedy, only a bit of 70s nostalgia for the guest stars in it. Stephen Lewis's character is pretty much very similar to his On the Buses series, this reel is probably worth it for him but he is wasted on this. As a cut down it's fine for a smile but i couldn't sit through an hour and a half of this title.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Christmas Trailers #3
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry,400ft colour sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor