Derann Ad reel 10

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:14 pm

This has to be one of the very best advert reels Derann released and the star of this reel is the Silk cut Zulu ad. No doubt it will not see the light of day again even though anyone you talk to about it will agree it is one of the funniest ads ever.
This particular reel has a very slight up and down movement but luckily, it isn't at all distracting as it isn't continuous nor is it a lot of movement, but i believe this may well have been a white box special, other than my Brother and myself, no one else even notices so for the tenner we paid for it i think it was a giveaway.
As is normally the case with the ad reels, the quality is very good and the stock is low fade so it has outstanding colours and a very good sharp image. Sound is also very good. This print has hardly any marks on it and is definatly one of the best ad reels in our collection.
The silk cut ad deserves a full review of its own but here is the contents of this reel, the images that follow are not the best as the images move constantly so it's difficult to get good sharp images.
The reel opens with the Pearl, Dean and Youngers pillars opening followed by ads for,

Misty Tropical Liqueur - When Girls Get Together (1985 Cinema Advert, UK), This particular advert opens the reel but is one i cant remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLHjyla-qos&ab_channel=Elora

Silk cut Zulu advert, and rather than drone on, for those who have not seen it or perhaps dont remember it, take a look here ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGETLgNy...nel=PaulCarless

Holstan Pils lager with Griff Rys Jones.
Martini Rossi
John Smiths Yorkshire bitter
Kia Ora - We All Adore a Kia Ora

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7vDjEv4...nnel=AdvertJury

Lyons Maid King Cone ice cream from Walls
TSB Bank
Ending with the Pearl, Dean and Youngers closing.

An advert reel worth it for all the ads but the Zulu spoof wa released again on its own i reckon it would be a great seller. They certainly do make adverts like this one anymore.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 10.27.2022 | Top

RE: Derann Ad reel 10

#2 by Graham Sinden , Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:04 am

Thanks for doing this review Tom. The youtube links are very handy.

Would love to get this and Reel 11 if I ever see it at a reasonable price (<£60).

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

RE: Derann Ad reel 10

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:37 pm

This particular advert reel is definatly one of the best Derann released, I think if they were able to put the Zulu spoof and the Great escape spoof from ad reel 17, (complete with it's X certificate), onto a trailer reel type sized release it would have sold in droves. Two classic adverts which are full of gags. They need more like these to remind everyone what comedy is.
The one thing this these ads do, the Zulu one in particular, is make you remember the product, so this style certainly worked and did the job. When people refer to it they always say, "remember that silk cut fag advert? The one that takes the mick out Zulu"?
The power of advertising, as you know, it often works the other way where ads are so annoying you remember it for that, but the product is remembered.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Once upon a Wintertime. 200ft colour sound (Derann release)
Christmas Trailers #3

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor