The Flintstones, 400ft,colour,sound. Masquerade Party

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:31 pm

A number of the Flintstones cartoons appeared on Super 8 in sound and silent versions, 200s and 400s.
We were only interested in getting a few of the 400s to go with the Top Cat and Scooby Doo's we have.

This reel, Masquerade Party, is from series six & is episode 11. Its was first show on TV Friday, November 26th, 1965 and the running time is 30 minutes.
Unfortunatly, while the quality of these, (and the Top Cats), is very good, the running times on all the 400s is only between 17 and 20 minutes, so a fair bit is edited out.
We have five of 400ft versions of The Flintstone's on 8mm, and all five, (i assume the same with all the other 8mm episodes), lack the pre-title sequence as well as the main and end titles, instead they start with a simple still title shown here. One of the main things about this series of cartoons was that opening title sequence. Who doesn't know it?
The storyline of this episode,
The new singing sensations, the Wayouts, cause a panic in Bedrock with their alien-invasion promotional stunt, and it doesn't help that Fred is wearing a spaceman costume to the annual Water Buffalo Masquerade Ball.

All the 400s we have are well edited with no obvious cuts or jumps, so columbia did do a good job on these, it was a shame that none were released full length. I was surprised that Derann never got hold of any of these and did them as full 600 footers.

Unfortunatly, these images are not very good, the colours and brightness of the image is very good as with all of the episodes we have, colours are very good and image is very sharp.

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 01.22.2022 | Top

RE: The Flintstones, 400ft,colour,sound. Masquerade Party

#2 by Greg Perry , Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:35 pm

I watched these on the TV as a kid growing up, simple but entertaining. Shame they edited out the opening theme song as it is iconic. I have a couple on 16mm. I once heard Fred and Barney were loosely patterned after Jackie Gleason and Art Carney's characters Ralph and Norton from the Honeymooners TV show. Good fun!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

The Fifth Element. 400ft Scope/stereo.
The Flintstones. Little Bam Bam 400ft colour sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor