JP Trailer with bad audio - help please

#1 by Martin Dew , Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:26 pm

I just bought a trailer of Jurassic Park on eBay which I've been seeking out for a long time.

I don't think it's ever been played before because it even has the original piece of masking tape securing it to the spool. It's a Derann release in original box with superb colour, deep blacks and excellent detail, but very disappointingly the sound keeps dipping in and out...badly.

Can any of you fine collectors tell me if magnetic audio ever miraculously returns, i.e. after a good clean, or is it a hopeless cause? If there's no solution there, and instead of returning to the seller, should I see if I can get it restriped and re-recorded?

Or, finally, does anyone have a spare copy they'd like to sell me?

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Last edited 10.07.2021 | Top

RE: JP Trailer with bad audio - help please

#2 by Tom Photiou , Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:28 pm

This is a trailer i have often tried to get hold of myself. There must have been something about the JP releases from Derann, as i understand it, the full feature they released as a limited run suffered badly from sound thanks to that crappy oxide paste stripe they used. On several features it simply peeled off. Considering the price it must have cost, that wasn't very good at all.
It's ok people saying about getting re-stripes and re-records but this can be half the price of the feature by the time you add postage both ways.

I am assuming that your copy of the trailers fault may be a one off Martin? I wonder if others on here who have the trailer could confirm this, if so, i will have to stop looking

Hopefully, someone will be able to re record for you.

Martin Dew likes this
Martin Dew sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by Maurice Leakey , Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:34 pm

A Derann white box special ?

Martin Dew likes this
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#4 by Paul Browning , Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:39 pm

I have the feature martin, but i have the problem of the stripe peeling off completely on all the reels. The recording is very much dependent on a few things, if it the paste stripe is it flat, and even across the width, and a re record may not help at all. I think they forgot at some stage when doing the recording to change the bias on the recorder to get the best from the stripe. If its the paste stuff i doubt if the quality control was anywhere near as good as kodak was.........

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#5 by Martin Dew , Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:40 pm

Quote: Paul Browning wrote in post #4
I have the feature martin, but i have the problem of the stripe peeling off completely on all the reels. The recording is very much dependent on a few things, if it the paste stripe is it flat, and even across the width, and a re record may not help at all. I think they forgot at some stage when doing the recording to change the bias on the recorder to get the best from the stripe. If its the paste stuff i doubt if the quality control was anywhere near as good as kodak was.........

Thanks, Paul. It looks to the eye like the stripe is in good condition all the way through with no visible clear patches, and certainly no deposits in the gate or on the heads during projection, which makes me think it might be a good candidate for a re-record. I think I might ask the seller for a partial refund, then see if someone here or on the other channel can work their magic.

Tom Photiou likes this

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

#6 by Tom Photiou , Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:37 pm

Unfortunatly, Derann did struggle before getting almost corrected, in that experimental trial a number of titles suffered with a stripe that has so much glue to stick it to the film, the quality suffered hugely, lots of bumps and lots of hiss. It certainly doesn't do the heads any good thats for sure. Hopefully Martin, you will get it successfully recorded.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#7 by Paul Browning , Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:02 pm

Can you scrape it off with your finger nail martin, as this wold indicate a paste stripe, if not, then its a stripe band. One thing i found with the walton films you can scrape off the paste stripe with your thumbnail, even on the good ones, so even when they are good its don't take much to get it off the film. I think perhaps someone has tried to improve it by cleaning as some have suggested on the forums, as i don't use any lube type cleaner on any of my films i cannot tell you how it will look or what effect it will have on the film base or stripe, so i would be inclined to clean it before any kind of re record is attempted just in case the previous owner has encountered this sound problem.............

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#8 by Martin Dew , Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:19 pm

Quote: Paul Browning wrote in post #7
Can you scrape it off with your finger nail martin, as this wold indicate a paste stripe, if not, then its a stripe band.

Doesn't come off with a finger nail. I would say it was well adhered to the base, therefore presumably a 'stripe band' as you say. I've tried cleaning with FilmGuard too, but no change to audio dropouts.

Thanks again for your help. Someone suggested Mr Mannering might be able to re-record etc, so I might drop him a line. It would be really nice to get this thing up to par because it looks fantastic. Plus, it's a really nice TV spot followed by a theatrical trailer, neither of which I'd seen before.

Tom Photiou likes this

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

Last edited 10.08.2021 | Top

I'm back onto the forum
Steve Osborne Film Show - September 25, 2021

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor