Steve Osborne Film Show - September 25, 2021

#1 by Greg Perry , Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:19 pm

Steve Osborne hosted a fantastic film viewing event at his home on Saturday September 25. About a dozen of us enjoyed a great outdoor film show, including forum members Dave Baker and Bill Phelps. We all enjoyed the pizza, snacks, popcorn---popped at the local theater, candy and soda that was provided.

Dave Baker started the show with a speech about his latest imports and potential future releases. Next up, Steve started things off with some fun daysets, an L&H short, a Harman-Ising cartoon, "Bottles", a "Look at Life" about the 1960's music scene in Liverpool. From there it was on to some fun Adverts, Trailers and Promos.

The first digest we watched was "Godzilla, King of the Monsters". This B&W digest with Raymond Burr had an amazing sharpness and great contrast. "King Kong vs. Godzilla" (1963), is another Dave Films digest with Godzilla and King Kong going toe-to-toe.

Later in the evening, several of us joined Steve in his indoor cinema. Steve and his wife, Jo have really created a beautiful one-of-a-kind home cinema with many unique photos, posters and collectibles. There is also a large, hand-painted Gone With the Wind portrait that Steve obtained from a drive-in that had closed down. Steve is in the last picture in the light blue shirt next to the projection box.

Now it was time for the answer print for the new JAWS digest. This 16mm print was mute, but of course the Super 8 prints will have the proper soundtrack. The edit was very well-done and does the job to tell the whole story in 600 feet. Plenty of gruesome action as well. The color was amazing and the print was very sharp. My pics (below) do not do justice to the high-quality. After JAWS, we watched Dracula/Horror of Dracula with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Beautiful print and a great edit. I am sure I missed some films as it was hard to remember to take pics while watching the action on screen.

Many thanks to Steve and Jo for their kind hospitality. Beyond the enjoyment of the films, it was a big treat to meet and chat with other film collectors in person.
Enjoy these pics--but as always, screen images are sharper than my photos indicate...

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Last edited 10.05.2021 | Top

RE: Steve Osborne Film Show - September 25, 2021

#2 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:10 pm

That was one very nice trip for you and all those involved, and you got to see the new release too, it doesn't get much better than that.
Taking the pics is secondary to actually watching the movie. Steve's home cinema looks really good too. Looking on the other channels report i was quite envious of the outdoor setup, in the States you have so much more room than we do with our houses almost stacked on top of one another. I really do like that outdoor screen with the chairs just simply placed on the green all set and ready.
It'll be good to see the full reviews of those releases as and when. One i am looking forward to finding out more about is the fifth element, will it be scope and what its content will be. Deranns was ok but was nothing more than an extract which was why i sold it last year, i did enjoy it for a number of years though.
Thanks for putting this up.

The following members like this: Bill Phelps, Tim Duncan, Martin Dew and Dave Baker
Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:46 pm

So nice. Too bad Mr. Osborne is not joining us here. A fantastic dealer, who. I wished was located in Norway as shipping kills a good deal

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Bill Phelps, Tim Duncan and Martin Dew

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#4 by Bill Phelps , Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:07 pm

Nice pics Greg and it was great to finally meet you in person. Always a great time at Steve's. I am about 3 hours away so I see Steve a couple times a year and try not to miss any of his film shows. Tom, Steve's home is located at the entrance to a park so that is what you can see behind the screen in the pic on the other posting. I wish Steve was a member of the forums but he is just old school. He just does things by phone and mail and does not seem interested in the internet. Anyway we had a great time. Greg, hopefully you can make it to one of his future shows again!

Tim Duncan likes this

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#5 by Tim Duncan , Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:47 am

It looks like so much fun! How do you find out about those? Can any film collector show up or do you receive an invitation?

Greg Perry likes this

Tim Duncan
Date registered 05.21.2018
ThankYou 39

#6 by Martin Dew , Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:35 pm

Looks like a fantastic day, Greg! Thanks for the pics and information.

Incidentally, I haven't had a catalogue/price list or magazine from Steve for a long time even though I subscribe. Does he not produce them anymore?

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#7 by Greg Perry , Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:39 pm

Hi Martin,

It has been a while since a sales list or his magazine has come out. I think Steve said there would be a sales list soon. He is still putting out the magazine as he mentioned how much he enjoys doing that with his daughter.
Likely things have been super busy for him over the summer. I am sure we will see a magazine/sales list sooner than later.

Martin Dew sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#8 by Greg Perry , Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:00 pm

Hi Tim,

Steve's show is via invitation, and I believe this is simply to keep the number of event attendees manageable.

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#9 by Tim Duncan , Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:14 pm

deleted

Tim Duncan
ThankYou 39

Last edited 10.06.2021 | Top

#10 by Bill Phelps , Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:58 pm

Actually if you ever talk to Steve tell him you want to come to one of his film shows and you will get an invitation. That's how I got my first one!

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Greg Perry and Dave Baker
Tim Duncan sais Thank You!

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#11 by Tim Duncan , Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:00 am

Thank you Bill! I was wondering how someone could get on the invite list! ;-)

The following members like this: Bill Phelps and Dave Baker

Tim Duncan
ThankYou 39

#12 by Eivind Mork , Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:20 pm

Thanks for sharing this! The Jaws print looks great!

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Dave Baker

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

JP Trailer with bad audio - help please
Elmo ST1200 Lamp mod

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor