Fantasia 2000: Individual reels

#1 by Greg Perry , Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:43 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I recently saw a listing for an odd reel of Fantasia 2000 on ebay. Here is the item - Werbung: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133842622572

It turns out it is Tom Photiou who is offering this up. It looks like a nice print, and Tom said it was ok to use the listing in my post here for reference. I was interested to learn how this feature was available by the reel. I can see how they are independent segments so in that regard it makes sense to offer them up individually.

Was this an oddity, or were most other Derann features available by the reel individually?

Coincidentally, I just bought a partial reel of Fantasia 2000 from a private collector here in the US. The bit I got was "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" as introduced by Bette Midler. This was only a 200 ft. reel, so not one of the full, individual reels of Fantasia 2000. Also, the color seemed off (heavy blue), so I am thinking maybe this was a 'white box' special. Nonetheless, a nice animation with a good story...I am almost embarrassed to share these crappy pics---but by now you all must be used to the low-quality pics in my posts ....something I will be looking into improving as time allows. Tom, good luck on the auction...

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Last edited 08.14.2021 | Top

RE: Fantasia 2000: Individual reels

#2 by Tom Photiou , Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:26 pm

Cheers Greg,
This part was purchased a very long time ago from a second hand list, the same listing had other parts, all of which i wanted but i was too late, part 1 was the only one left.
Colour wise, my images dont do this one any justice. The symphony number five Beethoven opening with the coloured shapes dancing around are superb, the second part to the film with the whales is quite blue but not overly blue if you know what i mean.
During the years i have had this part i have read many reports of this movie being heavy on the blue but i really dont think it is myself. The introduction by Steve Martin and Itzhak Perlman. show the true colours with sin tones exactly as they should be.
The sale of this part is a reluctant one, (i put it up before but then took it off as i changed my mind), but i am slowly trying to reduce number and sadly, have been unable to find any other odd parts. Now twenty odd years later, it isn't a film i would buy. I think I've only viewed this part around 10 times in all those years.
This opening reel is around 500ft of film on a 600ft reel, it contains the following.

Main Disney opening logo followed by the orchestra building up and the main title appearing. Then opening with, Symphony No. 5 by Ludwig van Beethoven, Abstract patterns and shapes that resemble butterflies in various colourful shades, tints, and hues explore a world of light and darkness whilst being pursued by a swarm of black bats. The world is ultimately conquered by light. Then Steve Martin walks up to camera to do his introduction, with a hint of his humour, this then moves to Itzhak Perlman to introduce the next section which is to the music Pines of Rome by Ottorino Respighi. A family of humpback whales are able to fly. The calf is separated from his parents, and becomes trapped in an iceberg. Eventually, he finds his way out with his mother's help. The family join a larger pod of whales, who fly and frolic through the clouds to emerge into outer space.
The visuals are very cleverly put together and the quality of the print is outstanding with pin sharp image and very good sound, especially those opening notes to Beethoven's music.

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by Maurice Leakey , Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:41 pm

Derann issued 'Fantasia 2000' on four 600ft reels. Each reel could be individually purchased for £68.99. A good offer as the film is a series of different items.

In 2009 I bought part 3 which is a great combination and finishes in a grand manner:-

1) James Earl Jones introduces 'Carnival Of The Animals'
2) Penn & Teller introduce Mickey Mouse in 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice'
3) James Levine introduces 'Pomp & Circumstance - Marches 1,2,3,4'

The latter finishes with "Land Of Hope And Glory" as the animals all march into Noah's Ark. Stunning animation and stunning music.

I highly recommend this part if you can find it.

Here is the last item's soundtrack, unfortunately no picture, but the sound can get your imagination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjYug0RlXnU

Greg Perry and Tom Photiou say Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:32 pm

As i recall Derann allowed many of their features to be bought a reel at a time, although this film was unique in that you didn't have to be all four.
Similar fashion to Marketing films, with them you could buy the 3 x 400ft mini features in any way you wanted, if you only wanted part one you could buy just part one without any commitment for the other two.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Bauer T502 Duoplay slider clean
Logo's and Daysets doing really well

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor