HID lamp conversion ST1200 and Elf RM

#1 by Mark Mander , Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:27 am

Yesterday I picked up my projectors, it's been something I've been wanting to get done since I saw a couple of other machines that had been converted, I initially wanted the GS1200 doing but thought the 200w lamp was enough but its something I will probably have done at a later date. I chose my ST1200 in the end as on this model the optical and magnetic sound is superb and it has the light dowser already which you need for the modification. Its my oldest Elmo machine but runs really nice. So late last night I plugged it in and watched Reflections UK as it was the only super 8 film i had out as the films are still boxed up due to the house move,(possibly 18th June) the light output is really good and although it's 150w it produces the equivalent light as a 350w xenon so pretty impressive, takes a couple of minutes to get to full brightness but everything looks sharper from the start.

Next was the Elf RM to be plugged in, this is a late model manual load which runs nice is pretty quiet and has the dowser, light output is more noticeable from the beginning due to the bigger aperture, very xenon like instantly. The modification is really ideal for feature watching on any machine as the lamp should remain on(hence the need for the dowser) turning it off and on a lot in short periods will reduce the lamp life. Picture quality is much improved and again a nice sharper image.

More pictures to follow ,Mark

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Greg Perry and Eivind Mork
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

Last edited 06.10.2021 | Top

RE: HID lamp conversion ST1200 and Elf RM

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:17 am

That's very good, Mark.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Mark Mander , Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:16 pm

Here's a picture of the ST1200, the lamp switch has been kept and looks standard, the rear has the ballast box attached, this could have been fitted inside but it meant removing the speaker which I didn't want but it was usage over looks for me on that.

The Elf looks completely standard except for the lamp switch, very nice job, the bulbs are easily replaced and look like the halogen original, I'm looking forward to a proper play with both machines, Mark

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Greg Perry
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#4 by Greg Perry , Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:11 pm

Mark,

These look fantastic! I am wondering/assuming, is there is a separate power cord for the ballasts on both projectors?

There have been a few stray comments made about HID lamps creating a slight green tint, but I do not see that at all in the pics you have posted. Really nice and bright images there.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Mark Mander , Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:41 pm

Greg
To be fair the Reflections UK pictures look a bit blue on the black and white but that's the print, no green tint but I've not run them too long, I've not heard of that aspect of the conversion but not to say it doesn't happen.

I'm interested to see some black and white films as my xenon used to look fantastic, a few opticals too.

No extra leads ,its all powered as original fitment which keeps things neat, I'm glad I've had it done and once moved can set things up again and test them properly, Mark

Greg Perry sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

Last edited 06.10.2021 | Top

#6 by Greg Perry , Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:53 pm

Mark,

Nice work there to have just one lead. I think I saw some conversions that had the standard lead for the projector and another for the ballast.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Eumig 810DLUX claw pin change, all help appreciated
Any members still alive?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor