Any members still alive?

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 25, 2021 12:16 pm

Is any members of this forum still alive apart from about five?

Has anyone got any technical issues that perhaps other members could answer?
Any issues with purchases? Ebay problems buying and selling?
Any modifications anyone could share?
Any spares someone needs that others could help with?
Anyone else other than Greg bought any of the latest releases to report on?
Anyone looked at the super8database?
Any equipment issues that someone could help with?

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Greg Perry, Vidar Olavesen and Martin Dew

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Any members still alive?

#2 by Eivind Mork , Tue May 25, 2021 12:56 pm

I have been looking at Super8database, and so intense lately that most other parts of my hobby suffers. I haven't watched a film in several weeks and been scarce here at the forum. I till try to improve, though. But the light time of the year is here, and the sun goes down at 10pm, so it is easy to end up doing other things.

I got Tom & Jerry - Cat Concerto (FilmOffice) and a new copy of Clock Cleaners (WDHM) in the mail last week.

But the upside of me using all my time on Super8database is a new feature that will be announced not too long from now, I hope :-)

I did book a hotel at the Grand at Blackpool, and hope that I will be able to go without issues due to the pandemic. The hotel booking had a free cancellation, so I ended up booking now.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Martin Dew , Tue May 25, 2021 1:05 pm

I'm happy to say I'm on Super8Database all the time! Lol. It's superb and it's helped me identify so many titles in my collection and ones which I'd like to find.

By the way, Eivind, there are still lots of trailers yet to list, produced or distributed by Derann and others. I've got several lists from The Derann Vaults on FB if you'd like me to forward to you. It's a huge undertaking for you, but congratulations on what you've achieved so far. It's a truly historically relevant resource and will, I'm sure, be appreciated more and more as time moves on.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Greg Perry and Eivind Mork

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#4 by Robert Crewdson , Tue May 25, 2021 1:57 pm

We have had a lot of new members, but no input. I presume they collect films. I haven't watched a film for a while, and also I have run out of space to add any more. I do have some news. End of last year I posted that I had my TQ1 upgraded and serviced. I had only had it back about 3 weeks when it stopped, so I had to return it to Kevin Brown. Something, possibly a small screw had jammed the blower fan. The item was packed into two boxes, one inside the other, and packed well with bubble wrap. when I got it back, there was a large tear in the box. There was a small dent in the removable side cover, plus a couple of cracks, and pieces broken off. I put in a claim, ; this was back in February, and have spent three months getting nowhere. I even asked them if they were signed up to an ADR scheme (Alternative Dispute Resolution); they didn't answer. So after a lot of searching I found the email of the new CEO, and wrote to her, pointing out the section on Couriers under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I received an email this morning that my claim is being processed as a matter of urgency. Compensation should be in my account today. It just shows, if you don't get satisfaction with the underlings, go to the top. Also, Kevin Brown very kindly sorted out a side cover from his stock and is sending it gratis; should be here Thursday or Friday. I will sort out some agreed payment for him when I get my money. The Courier was UPS.

The following members like this: Don Cunningham, Gwyn Morgan, Greg Perry and Martin Dew

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Last edited 05.25.2021 | Top

#5 by Don Cunningham , Tue May 25, 2021 2:54 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

My collecting/viewing has been somewhat slow due to me needing to find employment with my former employer shutting their doors permanently. Luckily, after five months of looking, I found secure employment. This past weekend my wife and I went to a few antique shops in our town looking for items to decorate our kitchen with. As a film maker, I am always looking for cameras and projectors. I ran across a B&H projector for $5 which came out to $4 with 20% off with a storewide sale. Not being able to get the cover off at the store (the owner was required to open it but was unable to do so), I took a chance.

Getting it home and getting the cover undone, I discovered it was a B&H 346 Super 8 projector. It appeared as if the former owner had over-greased it and during storage in Texas, the lube had leaked and hardened. I spent a good hour detail cleaning what I could, then replaced the plug due to grease build-up in the prongs. It fired up, however I will need to replace the lamp.

Just won a 16mm print of Silly Symphonies "Egyptian Melodies" on Ebay. Other than that, I had some 16mm Tri X processed from a camera test I conducted on a new-to-me camera. That turned out very well, so hopefully I can begin my short film this year.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Gwyn Morgan, Greg Perry and Martin Dew

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#6 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 25, 2021 3:24 pm

Thanks for replying all, (so far).
Don, $4 for a projector?? That's what i call a bargain. As for myself, we do have a lot going on at present time, but i have bought a film which i didn't think i would find which is a theatrical print on LPP polyester stock of Uncle Buck with John Candy. Also, spinning off from a thread elsewhere with the usual debate regarding Eumig's, an 810D LUX dual gauge projector, original box and accessories etc turned up on eBay for 39.99 with the better suprogen 1:2 lens. I think it has the usual problems with the discs which are easily sorted, but looks immaculate so ive added that to my purchases as well.

The following members like this: Don Cunningham and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#7 by David Skillern , Tue May 25, 2021 3:55 pm

Im still here - just busy during the day

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#8 by Maurice Leakey , Tue May 25, 2021 6:27 pm

I am still waiting for a reply to my suggestion for the name of the Popeye cartoon.

Maurice

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#9 by Paul Browning , Tue May 25, 2021 6:38 pm

I'm still patiently awaiting a pdf file for the Bauer T610 service manual.............

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#10 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 25, 2021 8:49 pm

Sorry Paul,
PM your address for me again please and i will send you the USB as i have now got mine saved several times. I'm hopeless at trying to mail PDF's.
I'll get it off tomorrow or Thursday for you.

Robert, sorry to hear of the problems you had with the couriers, which company was it? Unfortunatly, it just goes to show that all what we pay for shipping our stuff, they still dont seem to give a s*** how they treat our stuff. The whole point of paying the extra for insurance is that you are covered for the damage they cause, you should not have had to wait three months.
When i wrap up my machines i make sure they can be practically rolled over and over without any problems. I take images during each stage of the packing and a final from the outside top, sides and bottom. That way these clowns cant try and say it was not adequately packed.
So far, i have been very fortunate to to have had friends take up and return my projectors to and from Kevin Brown. This way i obviously saved a lot of cash but also ensured they were not handled by the idiots in the courier services, it doesn't seem to make to much difference which one you use, but so far to date, (ans on Bills advice some years ago) UPS appear to be the best ones so far.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.25.2021 | Top

#11 by Paul Browning , Tue May 25, 2021 9:51 pm

PM SENT TOM.......

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#12 by Robert Crewdson , Tue May 25, 2021 11:21 pm

Hi Tom , it was UPS, it had made 3 journeys with no problem. Kevin thought from the damage that the parcel had been dropped; that wouldn't explain the split in the side. It received a very heavy hit to make a dent through 2 boxes and bubble wrap. My thought is that the parcel was heavy, about 24 kilos, and someone was annoyed and kicked it. I had two emails one said payment will be by cheque, the other said bank transfer. If not here by Friday, I'll chase them up. I kept at it as these couriers should accept responsibility. You enter into a contract: for X amount of pounds they agree to deliver your item from A to B, and naturally, you expect it to arrive in the condition it is sent in. Hopefully, I won't have any further trouble with the projector. I wouldn't trust to any courier.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Greg Perry and Martin Dew

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#13 by Robert Crewdson , Tue May 25, 2021 11:41 pm

The box was labelled FRAGILE on all sides and top (5 labels), plus 'This Way Up' on all sides, so no excuse.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#14 by Greg Perry , Wed May 26, 2021 4:18 am

Robert,

I am glad you are pursuing this, and I am hopeful you will get compensation. I know you are dealing with UPS, but this reminds me of an incident about ten years back. The USPS delivered a completely destroyed item (not a film). I called and said "Hey, this was damaged in transit..".. The USPS reply we don't guarantee it to be delivered in good condition--just that it is delivered...

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#15 by Mark Mander , Wed May 26, 2021 8:48 am

I'm still boxed up waiting for the house move, I've bought a 16mm feature recently but not watched it yet, I've also taken two projector's to be modified to HID so something to look forward to once I unpack. Hopefully happening soon!!! Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#16 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 26, 2021 8:55 am

Hope the move goes ok Mark, i know how stressful that can be.

Greg, i dont suppose you had that in an email did you? The press and tv news would like to have got hold of that comment from whats suppose to be a caring company.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.26.2021 | Top

#17 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 26, 2021 9:44 am

That's a terrible reply Greg; the UK's Parcel Force is one of the worst for damaging items. If you don't label items as Fragile, you could be to blame, and if you do label it, it is like an invitation to play football with it.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#18 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed May 26, 2021 10:08 am

Alive, but still organizing, no room for film viewing lately. It is getting closer, so hope in a few months everything is in place

Just bought a few titles from Del, other than that, not too much new stuff

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#19 by Martin Dew , Wed May 26, 2021 11:23 am

Robert, you're right. I have been told by postal workers in California and here in Blighty never to label anything 'Fragile' because unfortunately it will immediately get non-fragile treatment by unscrupulous employees. I guess that staff at the PO, USPS and private shipping companies consider it patronising to be asked to treat something with care when they already consider that they do.

However, I have also been told that it's good practice to put a 'Heavy' sticker on a package, if it is.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou
Robert Crewdson sais Thank You!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Last edited 05.26.2021 | Top

#20 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 26, 2021 2:21 pm

Thank you Martin; I just think that if you don't label anything Fragile or Glass, they would use that as an excuse not to pay out. Decades ago on TV there was a programme about the Mount Pleasant Sorting office in London, and a camera secretly filmed an employee throwing a parcel labelled Fragile.

Martin Dew likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#21 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 26, 2021 2:33 pm

Will things ever get back to normal?; if you pay extra for a signature, the driver marks it as delivered. A while back I was expecting a tracked package by Royal Mail; I spent all morning watching for him and checking the tracking for updates, I was shocked when it was marked as Delivered. Two hours later I was still trying to contact Royal Mail, when the postman turned up. He must have marked it as delivered before he left the sorting office. Just before Xmas my wife bought some toys for her nieces children. We had gone out for a walk, and when we came back, the wife went online, and it said Parcel Delivered. We looked outside, and no parcel, then we found a card in an outside box, to say it had been returned to the sorting office. If you had a dodgy postman you could never prove you had not received the item. Finally, last year I sent some money to my Aunt for her birthday, by Special Delivery. Guaranteed to get there by 1pm or you get compensated. My Aunt rang to say she had received it, I asked what time, she said about 2.30. I went online to check, and it said 'Delivered 12.59'.

Martin Dew likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#22 by Philip Murat , Thu May 27, 2021 4:36 pm

Hello Beaulieu's friends !!!

Yes, still alive and very busy from my side (even if Covid situation is slowing down many things) , more particularly with 3 new projects for Beaulieu machines :

- New Capstan Pinch roller , re-engineered , with "Urethan" material , including a bigger ball bearing , directly interchangeable with former one, ready to fit. I have accelerated this work as I observed pinch rollers aging (cracked Rubber sleeve) for 3 machines over 5.
Urethan sleeve comes in "blue" color to see at first glance the difference between Urethan and rubber material.

Obective is to make much better and much more affordable than you can find on market. I expect to make some tests within one month or two.
Also it is supposed to be a very long service life item.

- Repair kit for lens carrier, "lateral guide" fixtures : Unique and never produced solution to fix small diameter damaged fixtures (2mm) in case lens holder threaded holes failed.
Solution is made from CNC cut stainless steel (A304) parts at proffessionnal specifications.

Kit will be proposed at a very competitive price.

- Lamp House "Beaulieu" logo renewal kit (in case a machine has to be repainted) : a very original and beautiful solution which enhances overall appearance. I will detail this later.

New boards production is still on idle at this time, hope to achieve some of them as soon as I can.

To follow

Kind Regards

Philippe

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Greg Perry, Eivind Mork and Tom Photiou
Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

Last edited 05.27.2021 | Top

#23 by Greg Perry , Thu May 27, 2021 5:49 pm

Great to hear from you Philip. I am interested in obtaining these Beaulieu parts when ready. The capstan roller is beginning to crack on the edges on my projector.
Many thanks for taking the initiative on replacement parts/boards for the Elmo and Beaulieu projectors!

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#24 by Paul Browning , Thu May 27, 2021 6:34 pm

Great work from philippe as usual, can i ask how are going to put the groove in the roller?, as this is needed to, i presume to act as a guide to the film transport through this projector. difficult to machine in polyurothane rubber, would need to precision grind this with a wheel the correct width and grade and run very true to the outside diameter or this will cause waffle or distortion in the sound, or may be mould it in, not as accurate or sharp profile wise.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#25 by Philip Murat , Thu May 27, 2021 7:55 pm

Hello Greg and Paul,

Thanks for your comments, happy to ear from you !!

Greg , I bring you more informations as soon as I make tests . Yes , some cracks (usual aging now) are appearing on edges of roller, however transport system still works as long as regulation range can compensate such a defect and some fluctuations.

Paul, among lot of benefits, interest of using "Urethan" is possibility to control hardness of material during production.
Original small groove is not used to guide film in this case : Groove (around 0,15mm) allows contact with film/roller and contact with Roller/Capstan shaft (on the edges) in a same time to keep an homogeneous film transport (This is the theory). However , films thickness depends on their material (Triacetate and Polyester thickness are different) and groove is still the same.
So, I opted for a bit softer sleeves than original ones to allow film to take its place between roller and shaft during film transport.
Rollers are precision items. I have checked a couple of samples , measures look very good. For what I can see , Outside diameter were stone grinded. Machining these kind of material is very special and need a good expertise. Also , there is no plastic parts in this new roller assembly.
I am impatient to make some tests and to be back with results. I stay confident.

NB

Test parts will be a mix from aluminium core and stainless steel parts. Objective is to product full stainless steel material assemblies.
Ball Bearing used is a sealed one.

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

HID lamp conversion ST1200 and Elf RM
Mistakes in films

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor