Eumig 810DLUX claw pin change, all help appreciated

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:45 pm

As some of you may be aware i recently bought a very clean 810DLUX eumig which was bought as spares/repair. If im honest, i thought it was going to be the speed problem, advertised as one owner from new, it appears that the seller was a company, possibly the owner had given up on the hobby. Clearly, when i got it the claw pin had been snapped off. There was no way that the long term owner had done this so as i bought it for the Suprogon 1:2 lens, so as i i have nothing to lose, i thought i would have a go at changing the entire claw pin and arm assembly.
I am fortunate enough to have been able to purchase a new arm with the pin already in, as well as two spare pins with the brass shoulder.
This is such a frustrating problem and, in my view, silly design, (along with those rubber discs) in an other wise decent quality and compact solid projector. Thanks to Maurice Leaky i have also purchased the service repair book, (with the full parts listing as well). For once this has come as a proper A4 book with nice plastic cover rather than the usual PDF file so i am pleased with this, thank you Maurice.

One of the frustrating things for me attempting this is that Eumig had a tool for simply replacing the claw pin in situ. Unfortunately, this tool doesn't appear to be available anywhere so it looks like i am going to have to do this the long way so i guess it will be a good experience for me as I've never taken a Eumig apart in any way or form other than to change the bulb or gauge. This is rare anyway as in my family it's only my Brother who had had these machines, i'm an Elmo user but now have the 820 sonomatic and this 810DLUX if i can get it running again. Taking projectors apart is the easy bit, getting it back together and making it run properly without damaging films is another.

Within the images you can also see how the camera picks up quite a lot of dirt in the std 8 film path at the front so this will also be a clean up as i go job.

So here we go, from what i can see i need to remove the claw assembly to be able to do this, i cannot see any way of doing this with everything in place.
Step one,
Back cover off, lens out, gate and pressure plate out. Following the service book to the best of my ability, i have disconnected all the leads on the transformer and released the two retaining screws and removed the transformer. Next was to remove part of the front reel arm mechanism. THIS is as far as i have got today as i need to get myself some decent quality micro circlip pliers so i dont damage anything on the next stage. I will continue this on this same thread as soon as i am able to continue.
The following images are where i am at with the first two images showing the new part i am hoping to get fitted. In the meantime any advice or feedback would be welcomed.
The images also include that illusive Eumig tool for being able to change the claw pin without having to take the machine apart. What a pain, someone must have one somewhere .

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 06.05.2021 | Top

RE: Eumig 810DLUX claw pin change, all help appreciated

#2 by Maurice Leakey , Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:46 pm

I was pleased to be able to help Tom by giving details of Oldtimer Cameras who do a splendid job of making up A4 copies of vintage projector manuals (and other cine items).

Maurice

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#3 by Paul Browning , Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:08 pm

What a job to have to do Tom, and a fiddly one too. I am not a great lover of the eumig machines either, they look like toys to me, not a great design is it the single pin, and proves to easily broken in the hands of a notice. Looking at the removal tool, it looks like it would just go down the lens holder and then push the pin forward by means of a shaped mandrel that sits in the front bit, and then you wind the threaded part which removes it, the new one then just fits in the rear jaw, which is positioned to fit in the same place, front jaw no acts as the fixed jaw, and rear jaw slides the new pin into place, drawing aren't very good, but as photo copies its all you can get. You could probably adapt a small monkey wrench, it would need to fit down the part that holds the lens in place, so a small one. I have just got a Sankyo stereo 800 and this has a single pin claw, but unlike the eumig you cannot remove the framing part for standard 8, so not the same problem. Good post Tom............

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:30 pm

Paul, thats spot on. Thats exactly how it would work, that tool would make the job straight foward and easy. The dual gauge Eumigs are a single pin and it is such a daft design, it is far too easy to break that pin off, im sure somewhere there could have been a fail safe design in there somwhere. Im sure there has to be some of these tools out there. Not to worry though.im ordering aome proper circlip removers before i can carry on otherwise i may end up causing danage. It may be some days before im back on it butvwill keep the thread going as i progress, or cause mayhem, whichever way it turns out.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#5 by Maurice Leakey , Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:10 am

Tom
I wish you luck with your project.

Maurice

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:17 pm

il need it

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#7 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:44 pm

Curruntly trying to get a decent pair of small circlip pliers. I boght a set which i thought would do the job but they are still slightly too big. So once i find the right type i will continue, unfortunatly there are a few more of these awful circlips to remove and i can do without struggling for hours on one clip only to break the darn thing when i got it off.
The right tools for the job are going to make it much easier,thats if i can find some.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#8 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:53 pm

Tom, are these any good. Also try looking for modelling tools. https://www.screwfix.com/p/circlip-plier...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#9 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:08 pm

Thanks Robert, these may be ok. I can pop to screw fix to take a look, the problem is the clips are so small the tips need to be tiny and literally, together with no gap to get in there. I cant believe how awkward these clips are to get off. I know they have to be tough to do the job but there has to be a simple tool to take them off.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#10 by Paul Browning , Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:27 pm

They are the same set i have Tom, and are good for the small ones you will have on that projector. They can be changed from internal to external, they a bit fiddly but good, and because they have 3 sets of jaws you can, like i have modify them with small needle file to reduce the outer radius on both sides, and the middle section to get the jaws closer together so reducing the outside diameter. Cheap as chips at this price. I always have a small magnet on and when removing this type of clip mate, because they have a tendency to fly off and vanish into thin air........... be ware

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#11 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:38 pm

At this price i will give them a go, i think i'll have more pliers than the shops by the time i finish

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#12 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:30 am

Screwfix also do circlips. They may have the size you need. https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-circl...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#13 by Greg Perry , Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:51 pm

Hi Tom,

Here is what I found out in the garage tool chest yesterday. Normally, projector tools are in a separate box by the film room. So not sure how it got misplaced.
I did not see a brand name on these pliers.
The pin's diameter is a bit over 1 mm, while the jaw spread is about 3.5 mm (per photo), so may still be a bit big to get into the really small c-clips.
I would second Paul's suggestion of keeping a magnet on the spot when pulling off a "c-clip, circ-clip, e-clip".

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Last edited 06.12.2021 | Top

BEAULIEU 708 : Claw Pins Positionning Control
HID lamp conversion ST1200 and Elf RM

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor