Eight days to go for the marathon film show

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:18 pm

At last, on Tuesday my film room should be all sorted out after a small facelift, and other major works on the same floor level finished which has been somewhat of a pain in the butt!
So to celebrate the reopening of my mini cinema next Saturday, we will be doing what i'm calling a marathon film show with a mix of super 8 and 16mm, all the projectors will be fired up and the films will be a mix of shorts, trailers, mini features and feature films. I'm sure we wont last the whole night but we are determined to have a good go. Realistically, im looking for a minimum six to eight hours worth starting at around 7pm. If i can make it to 2am i will be pleased.
Not worked out what the showings will be but it'll be a blast.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Martin Dew, Greg Perry and Robert Crewdson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 02.19.2021 | Top

RE: Eight days to go for the marathon film show

#2 by Greg Perry , Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:14 pm

Tom.

That's a great idea for the newly remodeled cinema! I hope you can post a pic or two, but more so, enjoy your film night. I know its been too way too long.

Robert Crewdson likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Mark Mander , Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:17 pm

Sounds great Tom, happy viewing, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#4 by David Skillern , Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:17 pm

Have a good show mate and let us know what programme you have chosen ?

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:00 pm

Thank you all, i wish i were a bit more handy as it would be have all the singing and dancing things that go with a film room like electrically controlled curtains etc. As it stands, it has been my sanctuary now for just over 20 years and this is the first time its had a proper new face lift. I am keeping the colours the same on the walls, a nice blue, (just a change from all red), as these walls were were all dug with all sorts of pits and marks so this is now all done and ive also left that black strip all around thats obviously designed to look like a strip of film. There will be a nice plush red carpet and underlay going in on Tuesday which will make it much more cosy than the old 25 year old wafer thin grey carpet that that was in before. I will have a lot less in the way of pictures/posters on the walls as these do reflect a lot of light from the screen as most of my framed film posters and pictures are in glass covered frames. Trying to find non reflective glass or plastic for this use is not easy or cheap!!
Here is the room so far, all the spools are show only use, that reel of film on the floor is nothing more than odd damaged bits of film with no use and is due to be binned, but not the spool of course, and pretty much everything on this ground level was in this one room while repairs were carries out. Very slowly coming together now.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 02.20.2021 | Top

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:34 pm

Tom ,look forward to seeing your film room again,looking at the pictures not quite like I saw it last😂😂.The room will be great once it is finished,if you don’t want to go for electric curtains etc how about the old manual ones ?
Your original post reminded me of the the marathon shows I have done in the cinema starting either first thing in the morning till early the next or running through the night with all the Star Wars,Or war ,science fiction,etc type shows.All those reels good times though,lm sure other on the site have done the same.
As said give us a schedule of the films you are going to show.Hope you manage to find all the bits and pieces you put away safely before the work started.
Look forward to seeing the new room.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:06 pm

Cheers Gwyn, yes i did think about manual curtains, possible also just static ones either side of the screen.
I think this may be one of a few long shows, i like the idea myself. Would be good to hear of other collectors who have done a similar thing.
I think i will find bits and pieces for a few weeks to come as all the films items are in three rooms upstairs.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#8 by Tom Photiou , Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:48 pm

Almost there now, nice soft feel carpet is in, now the job of clearing out the items that dont belong there and replacing with the films and equipment.
The images dont show how deep the red is, how black that screen area is or how deep the blue is on the wall. They work very well together. Very pleased.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Mark Mander and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 02.23.2021 | Top

#9 by Robert Crewdson , Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:10 pm

That looks really nice Tom; I'm glad that you have gone for the traditional red carpet that they used in the ABC cinemas. If I could have had my own permanent film room I would have had red carpet and bought a few original cinema seats.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#10 by Greg Perry , Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:09 pm

Tom.

You have a great film room once again. Colors are really nice too...Congrats! You deserve this after all the insurance nonsense from the water damage...

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#11 by Eivind Mork , Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:39 pm

This looks really nice, Tom! A very good carpet color for a film room indeed!

Robert Crewdson likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#12 by Mark Mander , Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 am

Looking good Tom, be nice when it's all up and running.

I'm looking to move this year so will be on the lookout for a film room, looking at yours and other collectors set ups give some great ideas for others, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#13 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:30 pm

Looking good Tom is that an Eiki motor I spy on the window sill.
Watching with great interest 😀

Eivind Mork likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#14 by Tom Photiou , Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:02 pm

Cheers Gwyn, Yes it is.
Its from the Eiki i bought from D Guest some years ago which was purely for spares. Just as well as he sent it in a banana box with no padding and only covered in a bin bag. You can guess the state it arrived in. The carpet fitters spotted it in a box and used it to keep the speaker wires up off the floor

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Filmguard question
Another Film-Tech Forum update from Doug....

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor