picture test

#1 by Bill Phelps , Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:12 pm

I wanted to see if I turn the pic in my phone horizontal...will it show up here vertical when I click on it....lets see....

Well that did not work...even though the pic was turned from vertical to horizontal in my phone it still shows the same here.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

Last edited 01.16.2021 | Top

RE: picture test

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:21 pm

Bill ,
Was it a smart phone!
Sorry could not resist 🤪

Bill Phelps likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#3 by Bill Phelps , Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:13 pm

Yes.....I’m not sure who the dummy is...me or the phone!

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Bill Phelps
ThankYou 54

#4 by Eivind Mork , Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:00 am

What is happening is that the phone includes something called EXIF data. That is meta data with info about the picture. It is usually the time the picture was taken. It can also be information of what camera (or phone) was being used, the location (if this feature is turned on in the phone) etc. But one of the most important things is orientation. The sensor is always at the same orientation, so the EXIF data will tell which way is correct. This works 99% of the time when you take usual pictures as the camera detects the gravitation orientation. But when you take pictures of papers you hold your phone dead flat. Then the orientation is hard to detect, and it usually goes for the last orientation it had before you oriented it to the plane, or it might select the default.

On my phone I can edit each picture afterwards and then change the orientation. But another trick is to remove the EXIF data. I did that on your other pictures last night with my computer.

When you upload the pictures to the forum, the forum makes a thumbnail version of the photo. When that happens it does NOT include the original EXIF data with orientation information. You therefore end up with a thumbnail with a different orientation than the original. I have been bitten by this many times as some software reads this information and reorients, and others don't.

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Tom Photiou

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#5 by Bill Phelps , Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:25 am

here is pic in my basement cinema room...Tweety Bird was watching Godzilla with me.....

I wanted to see if the pics still are sideways when you click on them...they are...

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan

Bill Phelps
ThankYou 54

Last edited 01.24.2021 | Top

#6 by Greg Perry , Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:36 am

Great set up there Bill for watching movies...I know Eivind found a way to strip out the metadata from the digital image to correct this sideways problem, but it has to be done to each image. I will look into seeing whether there is any workaround or settings in the admin controls for the forum..

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#7 by Bill Phelps , Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:36 am

Yeah I wish I could just fix them. I want to post some more pics of my set up but I don't want the pics to be sideways when you click them. I may just try taking all the pics horizontal...that may be the way around it.

Bill Phelps
ThankYou 54

very quite on here at present
Eiki Zoom Converter.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor