Bah Humbug! Yet another Christmas film....

#1 by Greg Perry , Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:49 am

Sorry Scrooge! We are going to see this all the way through to Christmas Day....I do not have any Christmas feature films, so it would be great to see some pics from those that do. In the meantime, we will continue a nice variety of shorts.

Tonight we ran "The Boy and the Cat" which is a Sheila Graber animation from 1974. The film follows the adventures of a small boy and his cat in South Shields as they walk through the snowy landscape, chase a Robin down onto the River Tyne and eventually meet Father Christmas. The character of the boy is based upon Sheila’s nephew Nigel and the cat is based upon her own cat Whitey. I have a couple of other Sheila Graber cartoons and find them enjoyable with the music and the simple yet effective animation style. Sheila, an art teacher, got her start in film by entering amateur Super 8 filmmaking contests. In 1974 she won the Movie Maker magazine Ten Best competition with this very film, “The Boy and the Cat”....When I bought this, I did not know it had a Christmas theme and was pleasantly surprised to see a very nice holiday story with some appropriate background music....A side note: This was projected using an Elmo ST-180, as some of the other projectors have taken their holiday break at the moment...

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Eivind Mork

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: Bah Humbug! Yet another Christmas film....

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:40 am

Sheila Graber became a household name to Super 8 collectors in those days. One of the best versions of 'A Christmas Carol', aside from the Alastair Sim version is the 1930s version with Reginald Owen as Scrooge. I discovered yesterday that British born Terry Kilburn, who played Tiny Tim, is still alive at the ae of 94.

Greg Perry likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:58 am

Another rare title and in very good consition. You have a lovley collection of Christmas film.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#4 by Eivind Mork , Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:57 pm

I have never seen it for sale and I generally look for Christmas films. A great one for the collection! A great copy too!

Tom Photiou likes this
Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#5 by Greg Perry , Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi Robert,

Interesting to hear that an actor in such a classic film is still with us...I would happily add either of those two versions of "A Christmas Carol" to the collection. I did see one for sale just last week, but it was far too expensive and had some perforation damage to it...I will just have to be patient and keep watching.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Santa's Toys...
Peace on Earth..next entry in the 12 Days of Christmas Films

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor