Santa's Toys...

#1 by Greg Perry , Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:26 am

The latest Christmas film is "Santa's Toys". This is the modern edited and retitled version of the original 1933 Disney Silly Symphony "The Night Before Christmas". I would have preferred to have the unedited version as I personally don't agree with revising these creations after the fact. I believe what was removed was a scene when a small blond haired boy looks up the chimney for Santa Claus and gets a face full of soot. This makes him appear to be in 'blackface'.

As the children lie sleeping in their bed, Santa arrives on the rooftop. Down the chimney he goes with his sack of toys and goodies. Santa sets up a Christmas tree and then with a little magic brings the toys to life to help decorate the tree. Soon it is morning and the kids wake up. All the toys quickly retreat to their boxes and places under the tree for the children to open on Christmas morning. Quick as a whistle, Santa is back up the chimney to the sleigh and the reindeer and flies away back to the North Pole as the kids enjoy their presents.

It is a nice look at Christmas 1930's style...no video game consoles for the kids here, instead they get dolls, trucks, toy soldiers, a train set, wind-up toys and pop guns to play with.
This 16mm print has a few wear marks, but not too bad. The LPP color is nice, and even with the edit, it remains a fine holiday film.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Eivind Mork

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: Santa's Toys...

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:28 am

Maybe original Silly Symphony copies are out there. Sounds a lovely film. Do you know when it was retitled; the P.C. Brigade at work. Just found that Derann issued the original in Super 8.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Last edited 12.21.2020 | Top

#3 by Tom Photiou , Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:03 pm

Honestly what the hell is that all about censoring that!!
Great little cartoon Greg, as Robert said, Derann did elease this as full length and im pretty sure its called the night before xmas.its one ive been after for quite a while.
Your copy looks very good. You really have got an excellent selection of xmas films. Ive yet to get one on 16mm.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#4 by Greg Perry , Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:47 pm

Tom,

Yes, what is odd about the 'blackface', the exact same thing occurs to Santa--with soot on his face--but that scene was left in...I am surprised the kids 'shooting' at each other with the cork pop guns was left in!
I don't see the Derann original (unedited) come up for sale very often, but you are right it would be a good addition to anyone's collection.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Last edited 12.21.2020 | Top

#5 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:59 pm

According to my book "Disney A to Z" it was the 16mm release which had its title changed to "Santa's Toys."

Maurice

Greg Perry sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#6 by Eivind Mork , Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:04 pm

What a great copy to have for Christmas! Wonderful colors!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

New t-shirt
Bah Humbug! Yet another Christmas film....

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor