RE: Lets dispel the myths once again

#26 by Nigel Higgins , Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:10 pm

I am with vidar on this one ,this is a film forum not for the digital rubbish ,watching films is 1,000 times better than watching a dvd/computer file on a projector with no value and no collectabilty shouldn't digital be discussed on a forum for that kind of thing.im not aiming this at anyone but its depressing talk about digital ,its why i dont post much on here to be honest ,on the upside i love true film 100% and enjoy buying and selling to and from like minded people and long may it continue ...as for blackpool david g is 100% correct it needs to be supported by the true collectors anyone that misses it realy does miss the main event of the year ,some people never go but are the first to complain about lack of films/equipment available ,well blackpool has it all for those who turn up and support it ,thanks DAVID GUEST for putting on the event year after year ..

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Martin Dew, Mats Abelli and Ian Partridge
Vidar Olavesen and David Skillern say Thank You!

Nigel Higgins
Date registered 12.06.2015
home: haverhill
ThankYou 14

#27 by David Skillern , Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Well said Nigel,

and keep a look out for any of the 16mm films I may be interested in - cheers

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#28 by Dave Guest , Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:37 pm

yes Maurice I am in negotions with a company to do me a website

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Mats Abelli, Tom Photiou and Greg Perry

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#29 by Maurice Leakey , Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:56 pm

What splendid news, David. I look forward to it.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#30 by Maurice Leakey , Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:03 pm

You've now got your answer, Mark.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#31 by Alan Rik , Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:22 pm

I use both film and digital but for me the letdown is some of the print quality on the Gauge.
For instance: Beauty and the Beast on film to me is so much more immersive to watch than the DVD or video file. Because that is Super 8 at its best in terms of image quality and sound. (re-recorded of course!)
But then I'll put on my copy of "Its a Wonderful Life" on Super 8 and the contrast is so so. Some blown out highlights. Sound is so so.
I plop on the DVD and it looks 10x times..no maybe 50x better! And then I can enjoy the movie.
For me having both is a no brainer. I mean, I love my Super 8 but sometimes I need to watch something that was produced in the last 10 years! :)
One day I hope to have a 35mm set up as well. I just need a bigger boat!

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Tom Photiou
Alan Rik  
Alan Rik
Date registered 11.15.2015
ThankYou 14

Last edited 01.06.2018 | Top

#32 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:34 pm

It appears I do Maurice,Mark

Mark Mander

#33 by Dave Guest , Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:30 pm

any comments Andrew you seem to have disappeared your not leaving this forum are you

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#34 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:03 pm

Hiya David, no certainly that won't be happening David! 😁😁

Only just seen off the grandchild after before then, being in work since 5:30 this morning.
I will have a look around and see what you expect me to answer to thanks.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:03 am | Top

#35 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:14 pm

Wow, it has been busy day hasn't it!
Well for one particular thread at least it would seem.

Oh well I will try to respond / answer to each of these aimed my way beginning with Marks thread at #18 which I've just read...

Mark, I agree with you and what you are saying except to say I can't do a reversal on this and simply re apply to film tech as you imply as I would not be enrolled.
Let's not forget here, it wasn't my choice to pull away as a member there, but theirs.
That is something that I have to live with and accept, which I've done and find the forums a lot less stressful as a result since thanks Mark.

Incidentally, I told you there would be barrage and judging by Doug's familiar response, no doubt there was.
I personally didn't feel there was anything to be gained from your appeal there Mark, but I thank you for the kind gesture anyhow.

Then we have Paul's comments in point #19 aimed my way.

Sorry to bore your pants from you Paul and for that matter anyone else. I try to post interesting articles but clearly you cannot please everyone all of the time.
I would more than welcome others boring my pants off by doing the majority of the typing here and I will take a rest and just do the reading.

No, so far this time around, I haven't been to any BFCC events or Blackpool or Harpenden or Farmworth nor any other.
As a shift worker, at times I may get only one full weekend in each 6 week block away from work during certain times of the year.
If I was off on these weekends, I'd spend them with my family, which is precisely how it should be in my situation.

I spoke only of an introduction to a post recently about Digi Projection only as a means to an end to hopefully aid persuading long term cine guys that it needn't mean they give cine up to gain the sort of images demonstrated by Graham which quite rightly impressed both Tom and David.
This was therefore obviously aimed to promote cine and not sing the praises of the benefits of switching entirely to video projection methods.

Anyhow M.O.T.D now, I will catch up with the rest later thanks all.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:31 am | Top

#36 by Paul Barker , Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:39 am

well Andrew. believe me its just not me that you bore to death. your the talk of many collectors that i know re your constant posting on this site. your on here constantly blabbering on about this that and the other.give us all a rest for gods sake. even when you upload pictures of a film you have. bloody hell its like i have watched the whole film without sound. just a few pictures would suffice. anyhow you will try to convince yourself that you are right yet again. you talk about being with family. well do it instead of being on here all the time. as for time off. there is nobody, that if they really wanted to attend any film event could not do it.unless your in your sick bed. if you really wanted to you would so stop giving pathetic reasons. believe me no one is taken in by it. the other forum is like a breath of fresh air now that your no longer constantly posting on it. so thats something for the good of the hobby.

Clyde Miles sais Thank You!
Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#37 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:59 am

What is beneficial about this forum Paul over and above all others, is comments like these are both tolerated and respected here.
Once similar comments aimed at slandering one individual are posted elsewhere, they are instantly eliminated and in some circumstances, the person posting them is removed from the forum.

This is something I personally really like about our forum here. It allows everyone to express their points of view, no matter how strongly within the realms of common decency with no ramifications whatsoever.

As said, the thicker skinned people here can respect the rights of anyone's opinions and positively welcome them.

For the things you are not happy with here, change them Paul.
Make your posts the ones which everyone looks forward to reading or looking at on a daily basis. It's as simple as that Paul.
Then you wouldn't care less about what anyone else posts, especially when it concerns only a gauge of film of which you have little interest in apparently.

For my reviews, if you prefer to see only one or two screenshots per review, read the text and just look only at the first 10 screenshots. Then you have what you seek. For those who prefer more detail, my method of working provides for both parties, the other method provides only for one set of interested onlookers

Film Tech is a great forum I agree Paul. Without it I wouldn't have located one half of what I once searched for and equally I'm grateful to many many people there for the knowledge of what has been shared with both myself and many many others there and elsewhere.
It is precisely what a forum sets out to do and all that I hope this one can equally deliver.

I look forward to reading your future posts there Paul as well as here too hopefully.
David, I've just seen, spoke of many requiring knowledge from those who have been in this hobby the longest, I hope some of that on your preferred gauge comes our way in future here.

No excuses regarding my choices of visiting ANY of the film events as I don't need any Paul. My choice is to spend my prime limited time at my leisure weekends with my family & friends, doing things we ALL enjoy together.
I don't feel any sense of shame for that and nor do I feel I should do.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:56 am | Top

#38 by Paul Barker , Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:51 am

another boring reply Andrew. my view of you is that you just want to sit at your computer posting mostly drivel about this hobby.you obviously have no interest whatsoever in meeting people in person. as i said Andrew your posts on here are too much for many. try to understand that people are just sick and tired of your constant posting here. give us all a break for gods sake. your the most talked about person on any forum. people are sick of you. i have had private messages sent to me from forum members who feel the same but dont want to openly say it. even your reply to me re screen shots you have posted shows just how blind you are as to what people are prepared to put up with. do us all a favour and give it a rest.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#39 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:40 am

I have to be honest here and what I don't like about this forum is the cross threads that are allowed for one person's soundboard, hence asking why they can't just reply on there, I was actually doing it as a kind act and not to stir things up, the reply I got even said it's no one's business why another member has been banned etc but was hoping Andrew could reply on there instead of half threads on here hence trying to help and see if things could be resolved.

All Andrew said was he wasn't wanted on there anymore but seems there was more to it than that and if he'd have said I'm banned etc then that's that and I wouldn't have persued it and tried to help. As I've said on here the cross threading is quite annoying and I don't think it should go on personally,Mark

Mark Mander

#40 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:56 am

Still wish we kept it film related, keep the topics on this forum, not cross-posting from film tech. It sure not friendly forum, which I wanted from the start

Greg Perry likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#41 by David Skillern , Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:37 pm

Vidar,

if you want this site to be just film related - all gauges - which i accept is something I'm in favour of - then you have to have a stronger policy on administration and make it quite clear that this site only accepts film related topics - i am also a member of film tech anf if i want to discuss other means of viewing - I do it there. What do other users of this site think ?

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#42 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm with Vidar on cross posting from other forums and also on just film too,I have a video projector and that's the first time I've mentioned it but it's use is to me not an interesting topic to talk about and if i did want to i would do it elsewhere,Mark

Mark Mander

#43 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:55 pm

I am aware I am a bit less aggressive than I should be, just not in my nature, I guess.

Del Phillipson likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#44 by Paul Browning , Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Its film all the way for me, it don't bother me non if people want talk about digital projection though, but the heading does show film gauges and the forum is called "reel Magic".

Del Phillipson likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#45 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:07 pm

Nothing wrong with that Vidar but you've made your feelings clear and it's your forum etc,Mark

Mark Mander

#46 by Martin Dew , Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Agree with cross posting too, Vidar. But I do think it's perfectly feasible to discuss digital projection when compared directly to film, as in Andrew's original post. I don't think there are many forums or platforms out there where that subject can get a good airing. As long as it's clear in the subject line, surely it's relevant to all of us as enthusiasts?

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#47 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:43 pm

For me film still retains a special magic, even with the imperfections it looks more real than video. I find video too clinical that's the digital one, not analogue. Why they call it digital is silly its video in another form. One of my discs the film has lost the look of film and it starts just to look like video. Hell they even messed up Devil Rides Out. 'Improving' the special effects.

The one thing I do like is the vast choice on video, both disc and streaming (free). Titles that would never have seen the light of a 8mm light.

A true digital image.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#48 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:04 pm

#39.

Mark , I thought I had made it clear that I had no ability to reply to Tom, David, Renzo etc etc over on Film Tech.

Before you made your post I did say that I was no longer a member there, and I wasn't welcome there.
I understood that that made it crystal that for reasons beyond my own control, to communicate with these people regarding certain points, this was the only option here.
Incidentally, nobody "gets banned" on FT. You simply have "your privileges removed" is how it is officially worded.
What that means I guess, is everyone still has the facility to read the forum as its an open forum but what you no longer are entitled to once your "privileges" have been removed from you, is a right to reply to anything.

I always thought the manner in which this membership status was worded was a little strange to be honest Mark.

I understand the site is paid for by its owners and moderators etc, but equally if there were no members, there wouldn't be any forum would there?
I am not sure as a contributing member, you need necessarily feel the level of humility as to feel "privileged" if I'm honest, but that's how the FT team see it.

Maybe all football fans should feel privileged too then for the right to be able to view and support their favourite team, based on that very same logic.
I am certain if any were asked, they equally would not see it that way.

For all else here on this post along the lines like yesterday, aimed exclusively to have a dig just at me, I'm past caring to even bother reasoning an argument tonight I'm afraid. I am far too tired today for any of it and it'd be pointless anyhow
I've justified my reasoning for my original post here in this instance and I am not in any kind of habit of regularly raising or promoting the subject of digital projection here. I fully respect and enjoy also that this is a real film forum.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:46 pm | Top

#49 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:10 pm

Crystal clear now Andrew but wasn't when I posted as I wouldn't have bothered as no point. As I said only trying to help and the cross threads that I find quite annoying as do others it seems stop,Mark

Mark Mander

#50 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:14 pm

And the help was appreciated Mark.

For future communications with individuals associated with FT, I will now find alternative methods Mark.
For topics which may concern or interest to all or any forum members, posted anywhere in the ether, I hope you agree that there could never be any harm raising such topics here also for an alternative viewpoint from our own membership here.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:25 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
New Blood

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor