Lets dispel the myths once again

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:45 pm

Once again the same old discussion has arisen over on FT, that of Digi projection vs traditional methods.
David R and Tom P here were both apparently really impressed by Grahams excellent screenshots from his PT AX 200.

First off just to dispel the myths once and for all, the PT AX 200 is quite an older model now and while it does indeed produce excellent images, far better and brighter than those from other similar older models such as the PTAE 700 or even the PTAE 900, they are still a way off what can be achieved from the full HD later Panasonic models, let alone 4K models!

A PTAX 100 or 200 can be found now for a few hundred pounds, when fed a decent signal from Blu Ray sources in particular, the images are stunning and this is only using a native 720p signal /panel. 1080p signal /panel of course betters it and by this point rivals the image quality from that of your local multiplex in many instances. (Red Rich Lamp Models)

A few grand spent on the new PJ's of today gets most people more than satisfied with their results however it will still never replace the whole aura of what we know and come to expect from projecting real film. It cannot as one is a tactile medium and the other is not.

If when CD's came out this meant you instantly wanted to ditch every record you ever owned in a heartbeat, then maybe digital is the way forward for you both, but if not, proceed with caution and do not make any rash decisions like I once did as we know now, if you ever miss the whole atmospheric arrangement of screening real film just even for a moment then you have virtually no chance these days of ever finding even half of what you currently have ever again!

In my book, the two sit well alongside each other but I certainly wouldn't trade either for each other. They are completely different in the satisfactions and enjoyment gained from each.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Del Phillipson
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:50 pm | Top

RE: Lets dispel the myths once again

#2 by Martin Dew , Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:11 pm

When I get my movie nights going again in a dedicated room here in Blighty, I'm going to do my pre-show ads and trailers in Super 8, then switch over to 4K and Dolby Atmos for the main feature! Best of both worlds.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Graham Sinden and Del Phillipson

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#3 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:13 pm

Sorry to say this then Andrew but why bring it up on here ? That's the opinion on that forum and those members and you've made your point clear about this in the past on that forum before, your just as bad as them starting this thread on here, All this cross threading I just don't get to be honest which I've mentioned before, why don't you just put your issues aside and reply on there? Again sorry to say this but it may as well be one forum as it's just now getting to that stage. As you said there is no issues on here with cross threads but come on? Mark

Mark Mander

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:17 pm

I actually use my Super 8mm equipment far more than my Digital projector nowadays, especially since the kids have all grown up and either left home or are out all of the time.
When I watch a film on Super 8mm i simply get so much more satisfaction than just from the images on screen themselves. It simply gets into the blood.
I do really enjoy watching a decent movie on Blu ray through my projector but more than any other use nowadays, I use it for music concert nights at the weekend when we are off together or for the football. Its a practical excellent solution for big screen bliss, but can never replace my thrills gained from my cine collection of films and machines and the hobby overall including the forums and recording jobs / covers etc etc etc.

One is a hobby, the other is nothing more than a means to an end. Who could ever get excited about repairing a video projector???

Del Phillipson likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:19 pm | Top

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:29 pm

Mark, i do not have the ability to speak to David or Tom over on Film Tech any more. If I did, I would, but I don't so to my mind, why not just speak about points of interest here as well.
Never are the two sets of posts anything like what you see on each other and never do you see the kind of things we are capable of here with our facilities here, elsewhere.

The two forums work very differently. we have been described as the Comic Strip forum and Film Tech was by that person referred to as "the serious newspaper" The times vs The Beano no doubt. Either way both are very very different in their approach to things and as said on countless occasions, until there is an overwhelming amount of posts and interesting varied articles ever posted on any of the remaining forums, I personally see no harm at all in discussing whatever arises as a result of any of them.

I eagerly await the times we are awash with different articles and varied posts aplenty here and elsewhere, to deem this unnecessary and inappropriate Mark.

Over to you Mark.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:56 pm | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:40 pm

hello chaps,
This is one of those funny things for me, im always one of the folks whose never satisfied, i am most definatly a huge cine fan, over the last 12 months ive spent the best part of 1000 and ended up with some good stuff, but always marks here and there,
nothing can take away the sheer joy of projecting real film, thats what our hobby is all about, but, when you can now get such good images on BL and even DVD and see it like the images on the other channel i have to begin, (again)to question my own sanity.
BTW,who describes this as the comic strip forum??

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

Last edited 01.05.2018 | Top

#7 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:44 pm

But if you can read everything on there then why can't you reply? It's up to this forum what goes on but I won't reply to a thread on here that's started on there, again up to you what you do but it's just a copycat forum,Mark

Mark Mander

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:44 pm

Digital imaginary will always remain flawless Tom. that is the big draw to many. Also never forget it has almost a sterile quality about it as a result.
It's the same as comparing every hairbrushed plastic model of today to a real pretty natural girl next door type.
One bores you to death, the other really excites you by her realism!

It's all horses for courses and still, if you are paying very good money out for film today, you should expect them too to be almost if not completely flawless aside from obvious film characteristics like a little sparkle etc.

For a couple of hundred quid, you can match what you see from Graham,Tom,...and the good news, still keep what you have!!
Don't think you have to spend thousands to make the grade up from what you currently have, you by no means have to!

When I swapped one for the other, the technology was brand new and 3.5K bought you only a chicken wire lattice. That is not the case these days, some twenty years on this year.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:55 pm | Top

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Mark, as already said, I am NO LONGER A MEMBER.

It is not a copycat forum as if it was there wouldn't be one half of the things here that are unique to us and one half of the posts there that are unique only to Film-Tech.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:48 pm | Top

#10 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:50 pm

Must admit, I do not like the digital talk at all, would be nice to keep it film, please

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Nigel Higgins and Mats Abelli

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:54 pm

this is a very PRO film talk Vidar and one to hopefully persuade us to keep at least two long term members interested in THIS hobby.

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#12 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:07 am

It's up to you Andrew what you do but must read the other forum everyday,with so much interest in it then why not join and reply there instead of cross threads as I'm sure others find it odd too,you'll probably find it much easier ,again up to you but with so much interest just join,Mark

Mark Mander

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:10 am

Because I am not welcomed there any longer Mark. I say too much about things others do not want to hear. Simple as that Mark.

I respect their opinions on that but equally find it liberating that different opinions and other peoples different shared experiences posted here are ever only just that,..opinions.
I have no desire to ever live in China!

I think overall, we are a thicker skinned bunch of people here apart from the things that REALLY matter in life.

We have had to be at times!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 am | Top

#14 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:13 am

I wouldn't say you are not welcomed there and a great loss I'd say, let's see,Mark

Mark Mander

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:15 am

Believe me Mark, i am more than happy being at peace with my life these days thanks!!

Crikey Mark, I don't envy your inevitable barrage of abuse!!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:21 am | Top

#16 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:20 am

Fair enough Andrew,Mark

Mark Mander

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:23 am

It has already begun!

God Bless you David!

Mikes comments were excellent!
City,..lose a game? ...NEVER!

Incidentally Mike, I never did "leave". Consider it more like being expelled from school, lol.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:44 am | Top

#18 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:51 am

Incidentally Mike, I never did "leave". Consider it more like being expelled from school, lol

I think it was more like a thread that you commented on and was pretty rude at the time that did it Andrew,members obviously don't like it so consider it a lesson learnt and move on, blimey we've all been there,at the end of the day it's your call, I can't see a problem and no one has said leave,you obviously want to keep commenting on threads which should really be done there,Mark

Mark Mander
Last edited Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:02 am | Top

#19 by Paul Barker , Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:26 am

and you wonder why there is little interest in this site.Andrew bores the pants off so many. he is banned from other forum and now spouts off again on a digital subject which as per rules here should not be discussed. he is a law unto himself. just the other day he was saying how we must all do what we can to keep this hobby going. yet he never ever attends any film fairs. even close to home ones. do us all a favour Andrew and give it a rest. you then might get more inerested in this site.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#20 by Dave Guest , Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:13 pm

everyone says that the film fairs need to survive yet little attend blackpool and they will be the first to maon when they do .I would say I have the biggest collections of films over 4000 , projecters and spares lamps in fact anything connected to 16mm also have loads of 9.5 as well and a large collection of super 8 probably more than any forum member on here which I will dispose of when I get the chance I know al the super 8 will sell very fast so thers no rush with that has I can sell it all to one guy but would realy like to sell separate .yet most people never contact me on here I don't go on this site often and when I get a pm it comes up on my mobile then I have the hassle of logging in which is fiddly on a mobile on an email I can read straight away so that is why you are always late in getting a reply .now for the bad news
90%of you forum members will come unstuck in years to come whether it be 8mm gauge 9.5 or 16mm as now of you have any idea how to fix them and how many have spares I supposr you will go to maplins or currys for a motor don't think so so take my advice and get some knowledge from us old timers and get plenty of spares for the machines you have as you will all have some good titles to show and nothing to show them on .did you know most of the exciter lamps have disontiued I have about 50 in stock and most of the lamps also ,when did they last make a spool or where can you buy splicing tape from to put on the start of your cherished film bear all this in mind as its going to happen sooner than later

Ian Partridge likes this

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#21 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:28 pm

Hey David, just please let me know what is for sale and i will be pleased to let you know what i would like for pricing, i am always up for a movie and we are hoping this year to be our first Blackpool event, The Mrs is even looking forward to it.
Do you have the following items for my NT1 please?
Two pressure plate springs, a soft cover, spare set of decent belts, bought a set off ebay and they are crap, is there any genuine ones left?
Also hoping later in the year to get another NT1 but will be looking for a good one to last us,

Drop me a PM please.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#22 by Dave Guest , Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:56 pm

not splicing tape I meant to say film leader

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#23 by David Skillern , Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Have you found the brackets for me yet ?

cheers

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#24 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Over to you Mr G

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#25 by Maurice Leakey , Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:05 pm

David
Whilst I do buy from you, although the recent catastrophe over my eBay winning bid was a great disappointment, I do buy from two dealers who have web sites which are regularly updated and they have fixed prices with occasional reduced price offers.
I understand that selling on eBay with its escalating bids is a desirable way to sell films, but I, for one (at least) would like you to consider changing your way of selling which will probably help you to dispose of all your films, whatever their gauges.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
New Blood

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor