RE: H.I.D. conversion debate

#26 by Paul Browning , Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:07 am

Did you buy the zen power lamps at the same time?, can you measure these items for me please, as you have put them in a 16 mm projector which will have more space than a super 8mm machine ......

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#27 by Floris Vanhoof , Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:11 am

ballast 10cm by 6,5cm (with 6 handy attachement points for screws or tie-wraps)

ignitor: 10cm by 3,5cm (with handy screw in front for attachelment)

I have a new and unused xenpow HID 150 lamp

Floris Vanhoof  
Floris Vanhoof
Date registered 07.07.2021

#28 by Floris Vanhoof , Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:49 pm

Let me know if anyone likes my extra HID conversion set (ballast, ignitor and xenpow HID lamp).
PM doesn't seem to work well (maybe it's my browser, maybe it's this forum...),
but feel free to google my name, my email is easy to find on my homepage.

Floris Vanhoof  
Floris Vanhoof
Date registered 07.07.2021

#29 by Lee Mannering , Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:01 pm

I'll put a wee update to this older post re HID 150's.

My Eumig dual gauge sound projector HID has now had nearly 1500 hours on the lamp and good as new. I tend to use this for my film talks out and about as its light and compact. Also use it at home of course for both S8, Std 8. The conversions I did seem to be going OK as well. The HID lamps do fail as a dj shop told me to expect, but it's minimal.

Very pleased with the HID lamps and lift black and white films to a new level of viewing most certainly. Pinky films also look better as well.
Have been experimenting with more powerful HID lamps including a 250, but early doors as of now.

A film maker has just converted his Stereo projector to HTI so I'm keen to see this working in the near future. All things being equal may be able to get a demo at my film fair next May. See how things go.

Lee Mannering
Date registered 11.07.2022
ThankYou 5

#30 by Tom Photiou , Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:42 pm

Hope this goes ok for you Lee, as i understand it, the HID is a doddle, the real work that requires expertise is id HTI.

I must add though, The HTI conversion isn't anything new, Bill Parsons did a 250Watt HTI GS1200 Lamp Conversion many years ago and the projector has been used many times for the BFCC. As I understand it, a HTI would be wasted for home use as the brightness is designed for use on a very big screen, in the case of one Bill did, it was used to great effect on the 24ft BFCC screenings many times over.
I recently found an old thread on another channel regarding this, it's quite funny as the guy in Ireland who started the thread was arguing how a xenon was better than a HTI, I guess it takes all sorts and he didn't relent.

The following is quite interesting, is is part of the conversation between John Clancy and others back in 2011. I understand John still has the converted GS1200 today and is still going strong with Bills conversion. I havnt started the following with the opening statement as the collector is clearly talking through his backside and it was quite embarrassing to read, I start here with some of the reply,

START QUOTES
JC/ Nope, for projection the HTI is far superior as we have proved over the years at the BFCC's. Whether or not near 35mm brightness is a requirement in the home is another matter but there is no way I could go back to a standard xenon after the light output of the HTI. (High Tension Intensity, I believe)
We did this on my 10ft screen when Bill Parsons first carried out the conversion. I can't recall the exact readings but the light output is something between double to three times a standard xenon.

Of course, Bill Parsons is the master so it's possible his work is the best and brightest of any HTI conversion. At the 50th BFCC when we unveiled the HTI we had the standard xenon running first just so everyone could see how superior HTI lighting is - it made the point and as a result there has never been any discussion on this issue, until now.
END QUOTES.

One other thing to note is the xenon we use has a two-bladed shutter but this isn't really practical with the HTI as it is so bright, therefore the three-bladed shutter has been retained.

So for the best advice on the HTI, there can only be one engineer.

Lee, let us know how you get on, if possible, get some images up

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 08.27.2023 | Top

#31 by Mark Mander , Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:20 pm

I've seen that GS in action many times and it's incredible on that 24ft screen at the BFCC ,if you didn't know you wouldn't guess it was super 8,Mark

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#32 by Greg Perry , Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:28 am

Tom,
Thanks for the background info. My only minor 'beef' is how similar the HID and HTI acronyms are! I can't keep one straight from the other. At least with 'Xenon', the name is unique enough that one knows what it is. Also, hats off to Bill Parsons for his work that has truly stood the test of time. It would be amazing to see footage demonstrating the brightness comparison on the 24 foot BFCC screen. Was that ever captured on video in any form?

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#33 by Mark Mander , Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:02 am

I don't think a video would give the true reading of the machine Greg, videos of it are online but what you see at the events is obviously the large screen but the GS is at some distance away and still produces that bright screen image, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#34 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:01 pm

Quote: Greg Perry wrote in post #32
Tom,
Thanks for the background info. My only minor 'beef' is how similar the HID and HTI acronyms are! I can't keep one straight from the other. At least with 'Xenon', the name is unique enough that one knows what it is. Also, hats off to Bill Parsons for his work that has truly stood the test of time. It would be amazing to see footage demonstrating the brightness comparison on the 24 foot BFCC screen. Was that ever captured on video in any form?

What confuses me even more is that Osram uses XENOPHOT as a brand, including for their EFR which is used in the Elmo ST-1200, and it has nothing to do with xenon bulbs!

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Star Wars feature, sold for 600 then 1200
Blackpool 2023 Update

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor