Star Wars feature, sold for 600 then 1200

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:05 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

This is an odd one, a decent copy of the scope feature of Star wars recently sold for just £609.

The buyer then puts it straight back onto ebay and sells the same print without even viewing it, using the sellers images (as per the buyers own description on ebay) and sold it for 1200!!!
A well know collector bought it from the other channel, films now producing greed among collectors, To be honest though, well done to the buyer, he doubled his dosh in a flash.
Was this feature an official release on 6x400 reels, perhaps from the states?

Not too sure what the BS was regarding the car accident added to the images within the screenshots, was that for sympathy?
Regarding the scope prints of SW, as it was put it perfectly to me, it is odd that the very people making some the new releases that are poor in colour balance, are flat and mono seem hell bent on p*****g on Derann's 'scope film legacy for the sake of a little top and bottom cropping.

The buyer did well, here's the original listing and the sale of the same film immediately after, next time I list on ebay I must remember to add the sob story of a car that needs fixing or a broken down washing machine.

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276021758866

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256231382841

No harm in making a profit but to do it this quickly seems pretty harsh, but as we know, when there's money to be made, films are a second to the cash.

I would like to add, despite all this Star Wars talk, the copy we own belongs to my Brother, the first two films were fine but I just dont get all this huge following the franchise gets and big bucks these 8mm prints go for, its probably one of the most common films on super 8. Personally, if it was my own print I would have sold it a long time ago, (no pun intended). Years ago when I bought a blu ray player it came with a box set of the first three star wars films, the discs have never been played.

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 10.05.2023 | Top

RE: Star Wars feature, sold for 600 then 1200

#2 by Graham Sinden , Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:49 am

Tom I also saw that first sale and then the relisted film sold for £1200. Regardless if the car accident was genuine or not it seemed odd to me someone didn't check the previous sold items and realise it's the same film as what was sold for £600. If it was were me I certainly wouldn't pay double just in a matter of days to put easy profit into someones pocket. So I started to think this was some setup and the sale would not go through. Just checking the feedback and the price is 'strikethrough' which I think means the buyer paid a lower price and not the £1200 as originally listed. Your thoughts. I understand the 'make offer' button Ebay but not sure how this works but I'm convinced the final price was NOT £1200.

Regarding the hype around Star Wars, I'm sure you are like me and wished we had a cupboard full of SW feature prints which would give us a nice pension. I think part of the hype come from the fact that when it came out in 1977 the special effects were years ahead of anything else previously and being a film aimed at children and adults, it caught on big time and the merchandise went global.

Graham S

Greg Perry likes this
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 10.06.2023 | Top

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:33 am

I think your right about the Hype Graham, it is well documented that Lucas didn't have a clue how it was all going to turn out as a few studios turned it down on the weak story.
When it first came out everyone was in awe with the special effects, including me, it is a good a action packed movie with a good cast, I just personally dont think it deserves all the hype, but then thats just me. Some people live star wars, and some people live star trek etc, it becomes an obsession. I like the film, I've sat through it many times over and on our big scope screens it looks great even with a couple of grainy scenes I just dont get the decades of following.

As for the ebay sale, if a strikethrough price is done ebay cross a line through the original price, I have seen this but it is rare, the price shown as sold for is exactly that unless it has a line through it.

"eBay's Strike-Through Pricing option allows merchants to show buyers their listings have been discounted in price, by "striking" a line through the List Price of an item on sale. Buyers will see the amount of money saved in the listing along with a new Buy It Now price".
ALSO
"This is available for listings that have been at the original price for at least 28 days. Once your account is approved for STP".
In this case, i believe it went for the full amount unless the seller gave a partial refund after.

This one was bad news for the seller, though I'm sure the seller wasn't putting it up to make a fortune on it, but very good for the second owner. I just think the speed which it was re listed just showed that this so called collector was only in it for the money. He did a similar thing years ago, announced the sale of all his 16mm as he was ongoing to Spain to live. Instead a dealer who spent four grand was sold a pile of mostly junk, 80% faded films and 80% non working projectors, most of the goods and films were scrapped, oh, and the sellers still here
Graham, If i had a cupboard full of these features I would be well happy,

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 10.06.2023 | Top

#4 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:44 pm

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #1

The buyer then puts it straight back onto ebay and sells the same print without even viewing it, using the sellers images (as per the buyers own description on ebay) and sold it for 1200!!!

A little while ago, I saw a certain seller from Idaho (whom I found out is the same chap from that "other channel") had a cartoon for sale, the same cartoon that has ended about a day before. He was already re-selling it, and using the same screenshots. I could see by the feedback number of the buyer that it was indeed the seller who had bought it. (eBay needs a better way to hide identities. ) It wasn't even a high-priced title, and he was just selling it for a couple of dollars more. I just couldn't figure that one out. I just think that guy is a very strange character.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 11.14.2023 | Top

#5 by Tom Photiou , Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:43 pm

Again Thomas, the idea of making a few bucks, nothing wrong with that but it is odd to put things straight back on for sale.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by Graham Sinden , Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:14 pm

Well this Star Wars print has done the rounds as it's back up for sale on the other forum. First purchased for £600 then quickly sold on for £1200 and now that buyer is reselling it for £900. It seems no one wants to keep it for their collection . No mention of the 'Lines' which were on the original advert . Be interesting to see if this sells yet again, I doubt it though as most people on the forum know the history.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 11.16.2023 | Top

#7 by Thomas Peters , Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:28 pm

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #5
Again Thomas, the idea of making a few bucks, nothing wrong with that but it is odd to put things straight back on for sale.

Yes, I've flipped a film before, but I wait for it to arrive, screen it to check condition, and then list it. I feel I'm adding value (which I am) by taking the time to accurately describe the condition. I'm also taking the chance by buying from a seller who knows nothing about film. I sometimes end up with a junk print. I've not done it often, but when I did, it was for something that I knew I could re-sell and pocket a few bucks, even after fleabay's fees.

I thought it was against eBay policy to sell something that you don't have in stock, but I could be wrong, and they have no way to verify, anyway.
Mr. Idaho could have at least waited for it to arrive before re-listing, and as I said it was only being sold for a few more bucks, which after fees-bay's cut, would amount to no profit. But then again, this is a guy who has sold films that were neither on reels nor cores.

BTW, did you know that flea-bay fees are 14.95% of the total price the buyer pays, which includes taxes and shipping fees? So as a seller, you are losing a portion of the money that you never actually receive (sales tax goes to the gov't), and you lose 14.95% of the amount you need to pay to ship the darn package. Plus, they add another 30 cents, which they call a "fixed fee."

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 11.16.2023 | Top

Don't everybody bid at once, now!
H.I.D. conversion debate

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor