RE: Have I missed something?

#26 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:19 pm

Either Vidar or an Admin needs to start a thread, whereby we answer yes or no to a question about removing non contributors.

Robert Crewdson

#27 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:23 pm

Not according the user list anymore Robert. You were once!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#28 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:25 pm

It is a forum that people can learn from, but not even an acknowledgement from them Vidar, even our own members, just take a look
at who has logged on in a day, and see who has even put a thankyou or anything else on there, that's why your forum will be in dire
straits if David Hardy jumps ship, a stalwart member, who like us all, no doubt has better things to do than give all this time to a bunch
of people, the majority are too tired to even say thanks. Maybe I should lay into Sheard again, that tends to get them out of bed!
I don't think Robert wants to be Admin, but you'd have to ask him.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:27 pm | Top

#29 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Scandal always does Hugh! How very very sad.

Andrew Woodcock

#30 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:31 pm

Well, I've noticed the ones that suddenly make a show and disappear, hardly post at all.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:38 pm | Top

#31 by Michael Lattavo , Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:47 pm

I understand the reasons you guys are upset. I understand the fact that it bothers you. What I don't understand, is why virtually every topic dissolves into this same old debate....

It's like flogging a dead horse

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#32 by Michael Lattavo , Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:48 pm

And people seriously get upset if someone doesn't click a like or don't like button?!?

Michael Lattavo
ThankYou 42

#33 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:54 pm

Michael, you have only posted 23 times in one year, compared to my 300 plus in the 4 weeks since I returned. Do you collect films?, or are you new to the hobby and still learning. We get upset because around 10 members are giving their free time every day to provide reading material for the majority who can't be bothered. You can read posts without being a member, so why sign up, unless you want to participate.

Robert Crewdson

#34 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:56 pm

It is like flogging a dead horse Michael, are you sure we're not keeping you away from something you'd rather be doing ? nearly two posts a month, your fingers must be sore.

Michael Lattavo does not like this!
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:57 pm | Top

#35 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Just look at these 3 names for starters, B.C. Pope, Bruce Hansen, and Chris Bankston; all these 3 haven't been back once since the day they signed up in 2015. Regarding the Admin job Hugh, there's no point in taking it on if you have no teeth. You need a free reign. I would remove these 3 people and all others who signed up and haven't been back since. I was sure that Andrew was offered and accepted joint Admin with David.

Robert Crewdson

#36 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Well this wasn't a topic that I wanted revisiting any time soon.

At the end of the day, every forum I've ever posted on follows a similar pattern, it's just highly irritating to those who do make effort, to see the vast vast majority acknowledge nothing ever posted nor post anything themselves.

I won't be losing any sleep over the fact Michael, that's for sure!

Andrew Woodcock

#37 by Michael Lattavo , Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:25 pm

Sorry, didn't know it was a posting contest. Real friendly bunch of fellows......

Michael Lattavo
ThankYou 42

#38 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:29 pm

No it isn't that either Michael. The people here though are very friendly I've found, especially once you get to know everyone to a degree.

This of course, only comes about, from regular visits and posting it is generally found.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:31 pm | Top

#39 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:33 pm

It isn't a contest Michael, but I myself find it odd that this forum, which is the most active of the 8mm ones, has over 130 members,
one tenth of that number keep it active, if we resigned ourselves to two posts per month each, where does that leave Vidar, who pays for this site, coupled to which, we have many varied topics, but obviously nothing to grab your attention, only the subject of lack of
input seems of interest, As for us being nice guys, well you'll never find out if you don't get involved.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#40 by Tyler Hatwell , Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:56 pm

If you remove all the people who don't post very often or don't respond/log on very much the forum will be exactly the same as it is now, only with marginally fewer contributions and if you give any advice on a topic it will be less likely to help people as they might not log in and see it.

So the only difference will be a minor drop in people contributing to the forum (people who post every 6 months or so) and also what you type won't be read as much. I don't see the benefit of giving Vidar the job of trawling through and gauging who posts "enough".

Equally, people comparing rates of posting seems like an odd thing to do; a man (or woman, although in this hobby it's almost always a man) can be as obsessed with and besotted by projection and film as anything but just not get on the internet much and so it would look like they're not as in to it. It would be a shame to deny those people their chances to enjoy the forum

Michael Lattavo likes this
Tyler Hatwell  
Tyler Hatwell
Date registered 06.04.2016
home: East London
ThankYou 11

#41 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:03 pm

That's fine Tyler, but everything in life that takes effort to the benefit of others is a two way street as far as I'm concerned.

Also, Vidar's task, should he ever wish to go down this route, is very very easy indeed.

Has the member been a member for twelve months or longer?

If the answer is yes then....

Has the member ever posted or commented on anything at all?

If the answer to this is yes...fine, if no, simply give them guest status only.

Simples!!

Somehow then, I suspect for the people you describe,..interested as the next man but heavily stuck into their films and projectors, I'd bet they'd share a little of it, before they were excluded.

What you find in life Tyler, is if you allow everything to become laissez faire, most people will take full advantage from the situation and quite frankly, take the piss!

Now while that in itself won't cause myself any insomnia, if this is indeed the reason why we were to lose one of our long term respected members here who is also one of the administration team, well then I certainly would be annoyed of course.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:44 pm | Top

#42 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:12 pm

WEEL MICHTY ME !!! ... I go and do some other more important stuff and I return to see this is still a HOT topic
and issue.
Great stuff to see these debates continuing even if its only from the same contributors
We still have a FORUM of a kind.
I think its time we put this one to bed once and for all and I think we should take it to an OPEN VOTE
on an OPEN THREAD.
What do you guys think ?
I will consult Vidar on this.

David Hardy

#43 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:31 pm

Agreed David

Andrew Woodcock

#44 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:38 pm

#35 I did Robert! I have no idea when this changed, but I have the same outlook as you regarding the task so once again, I won't be losing any sleep regarding this one either.

I do however believe, ANY forum requires a minimum of three moderators to take care of things and keep it all balanced in opinion and outlook / perspective.
I hope the forum soon recruits some new moderators to sort out issues like this etc.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:55 pm | Top

#45 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:41 pm

Michael ... Regarding your comment on #32 .
It is a matter of courtesy and respect to the poster of the topic that ALL readers should click that
the ... TOP / FLOP or THANK YOU prompts should be clicked.
That way the member knows that it is at the VERY LEAST being viewed and read by other members even
if they do not make a comment or participate in the thread.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
David Hardy
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:47 pm | Top

#46 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:59 pm

I don't know why its become a big issue, as I stated before, notification to these members who never post, unless something is
heard from them within a set period, then their membership is cancelled, they should be given time to take it in, no one is being banned, if they wish they may re join, but a bit of activity is requested. Would they join a Karate club and not show up, they wouldn't
be considered an active member. As I said before, a lot of them post elsewhere quite actively, so you're just chucking ballast, once they
realise they are not an active member, the choice is theirs, if they choose to not re join, no loss to the forum, they had never contributed anyway. I can see Tyler's reasoning, but it isn't the "low frequency posters", its the ones that never have, I can't understand all this trouble to join something and never join it? Like having a credit card never using it......ever.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:07 pm | Top

#47 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:13 pm

What is annoying me more now i come to think about it is the fact that NON REGISTERED MEMBERS
can view the posts.
SAMPLE pages only should be open for those people.
If they want to read the rest they should ... Register ... Join ... and Participate.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
David Hardy

#48 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:25 pm

Well guys thats me for tonight.
I am off to do something more easy and constructive like watch TV . Hahahahahahahahahaha !!!!
GOOD NICHT THE NOO !

David Hardy

#49 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:35 pm

I went along with the idea that we had an open forum, I thought that people could have a gander and it was advertising really,
granted the membership has increased, but alas no input. I'd just hate to think that if we closed the windows, as they have on SFFF,
that it would be a step toward what they have, a very stagnant forum, which is no help to anybody.

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott

#50 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:44 pm

I don't know intricacies of how the site works but may I suggest having less to view unless you log on.
If not possible then so be it,but I think something should be done,I'm not sure a closed site is a good idea though hence my previous comment.
Maybe people just want to read what goes on,this I find a little strange, but then it takes all sorts. 📽 📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
The sound of a dropping screw...

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor