OUR LANGUAGE

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:14 am

Just reading some of the comments on other forums, I'm embarrassed at the lack of spelling and grammar, these from folk in the UK, Jesus, I went to a secondary school in the '60s, no computers then, but at least we had command of the English language. No doubt our
education then would be equal to a degree now, being as the bar has been dropped that far, no one from my school left without being able to read and write, spelling is a plus now, what an age we live in, Ignoramuses.

Ian Partridge likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:15 am | Top

RE: OUR LANGUAGE

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:41 am

If you ask the kids of today to spell WKD (wicked) or OMG (oh My God), WTF (what the Fu..well you know the ending!) etc etc, they will be fine. Ask them to spell Euphoria or Popocatepetl , well you're flogging a dead horse quite frankly!

Too clever, Too knowing, Too soon..that is how I perceive our youth of today, and by and large, before they have even learned the basics!!
Here, they can make babies before they can make a pound!!

For years now I have been laughing my cock off at the amount of public writers who cannot tell the difference, or know when it is appropriate, to choose between Their, there, and They're!!
Or to, Too or Two. It's just bloody ridiculous to see for someone like myself, who was educated in the 70's!! I just don't get any of it???

Did these people even ever attend a school I ask myself??

What the frig does Nothink mean? Go to London and listen! You'd be amazed i promise you!!

None of us spell perfect all of the time, none of us use correct grammar all of the time in everyday language, but please...Nothink!
What's all that about?? I mean how hard is the letter "G" to pronounce in our language??

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:33 pm | Top

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:55 am

Thanks Doug, I am guilty of folk using American take of words, like conductivity, where conductive is enough, or connectivity, where
connections is suffice, this "tivity" bit, really pisses me off, but for our race to foul up on their own language is unforgivable, simply down
to these arses in government interfering with teaching, teachers are people that know the score, ( I hope ), they don't need some pompous arse telling them their job, Headmasters in my day, only had the internal running of the school to fight on with, now the poor guy has to balance bills and costs, and meet government legislations, a world away from what a head had to do, utterly wrong. I never
thought I'd fight for teachers as a school kid, but knowing how these folk are oppressed, as are our Doctors, I'll put up a scrap, physically
before I'm to old, my better half poured scorn on my abilities, but I kicked a branch nearly six feet high with a roundhouse kick, to no acknowledgement, I ask myself, why bother.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:58 am | Top

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:00 am

Only you Hugh, only you!

Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:05 am

You've read it so now it's gone!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:27 pm | Top

#6 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:07 am

Its true though Andrew, our society is diluted, this idea of multi culture does not work, our teachers had their hands full with us, I remember sending shudders up my metal work teacher, asking if I could make a grapling hook, he asked why, I said it might be useful,
he said make a poker like everybody else!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:08 am | Top

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:12 am

I don't wish to get into racism, I love my fellow man, except where cruelty to animals is involved, but believe in the simple fact,
we all have respective countries, live in them!

Hugh Thompson Scott

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:14 am

I don't do politics on film forums though fellas, I learned that lesson sometime ago from other members, so i've said my piece without slander or swear words of note.
So good night all and God Bless, see you all in the morning here.

Andrew Woodcock

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:22 am

Its a sad fact, our beliefs and laws are being eroded to suit outsiders, which is wrong, my country is a Christian country, yet we
endourse the slaughter of animals in inhumane ways to gratify a minority, that is wrong, cruelty is cruelty, I can't stomach animals being harmed for religion, take our laws or Fuck off, is my way, we are supposed to love animals in this country, but are too frightened to speak out, well here's one that ain't. If you can't abide by our laws of decency, Britain is no place for you. Piss off. Lads, don't be afeared, God is with our cause.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:24 am | Top

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:25 am

G'Night all

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:04 pm | Top

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:35 am

Andrew, it might be a sign of the times, but I never attended a mixed race school, so views are different up here, bands in my day were
Beatles, Stones, Who,Kinks, Dave Clark Five, a different era. This Jamaican stuff was for the London mob, not up North. By the way, notice on the violence in France by the hooligans, the Northern lads stood their ground against the opposition the Southerners fucked off, you do get a better class of thug up here. Well done men.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:36 am | Top

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:37 am

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:05 pm | Top

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:38 am

Good lad Andrew, yer the dogs bollocks! luv it.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#14 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:05 am

Getting back to our topic, it should be a criteria in schools, no mobile phones, a headmaster in our region has banned then.
They are a destraction, perhaps someone should alert the powers that be that one might set a bomb off, that'd shake them up.
Ban all phones from school, how the hell I managed without one I'll never know, these cock soft kids need toughening up, milksops,
they wouldn't have made the grade in Kells Secondary Modern, I remember watching a Rugby match back in the early '70s, and the
commentator Eddie Waring on the BBC saying ," Aye, he's a Kells lad, he'll get up, built like a pit prop those lads are" which says it all for my town,
bloody rugby! We had in our school, a test of how we could get to Carlisle from Whitehaven, on a shilling and back, a 100 mile round trip, 5 pence today, imagine the out cries now of child molestation etc, which is true, today is a world away from my childhood, one of innocence, that's why I still
love my school mates and some teachers, they taught us not only lessons, but life itself, in far nicer times to live.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:15 am | Top

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:35 am

Just thinking back to my teachers, one lovely man, Mr GiIllespie, our Science Teacher, hate to bore anyone, but I loved this man,
a Scotsman with a lovely sense of humour, I started to style my hair like Christopher Lee, back combed, to which he said, "Hugh,you look
like Sneaky Sam from the Beano", I loved the guy, I later found out he'd lost his mind in class, long after I'd gone, he machine gunned in
his mind, the students, thinking they were the enemy. When my late friend told me this, I was broken hearted, he was such a funny guy,
God alone knows what horrors he had seen in the war, Mr Fearon , our Geography teacher had been a prisoner of war in a Jap camp.My Maths master had flown bombing raids, My Woodwork master had been a very successful spy behind enemy lines and had a full page dedicated to him in the local paper, our teachers......... they were bloody heroes. I think back often, and realise how blessed I was to be in their company. As a rider, although it sullies the exploits of my teachers, I've never been in a gang fight, I've taken on a gang, they took off, fought a gang and took out the gob, winner on both counts, but what these men did is just incredible, my exploits are nothing compared to these
wonderful men...... who kept it hidden. Knighthoods for Geldof and Elton John, what an insult to brave men who taught me and my mates. I only found out this info long after I'd left school.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:18 am | Top

#16 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:16 am

Our really struggle writing this being a North East of Scotland Scot.
We " Spik i Doric up here nea Inglish ". Its great because ither Scots canna unerstan is eether !
Here is a question for you .
Div ony o' yiz ken whit a "loon" or "quine" is ?

David Hardy

#17 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:04 am

The teaching was good in our day, but then someone decides to make changes, then years later, after they have failed students, they admit 'we got it wrong'. Why not leave well alone. We used to hear a lot about class sizes; in my last year at primary school, we had a class of 42. Not too many years back it was in a newspaper that many 16 year old were leaving school without being able to read and write. Almost at the same time, more students are going on to University, and the pass rates for GCSE are rising; something doesn't add up. I've said this before, but I don't think I said it here. Back in the 90s I think it was, some schoolchildren thought that Oliver Cromwell was a Battle of Britain pilot; one boy asked 'Was Hitler on our side?', and asked where Cornwall is, someone said 'Is it in London?'. Regarding awards from the monarch; I remember the widow of Donald Campbell, who was in some financial difficulty; she was annoyed at these pop stars and other getting OBE's and knighthoods. She said that everything her husband had done was for his country, yet received nothing, and didn't expect anything. Donald Campbell always was and still is a hero of mine. Remember cash for honours?; donate £10,000 to the Tory party, and receive a seat in the House of Lords.

Robert Crewdson

#18 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:06 am

I Dinnae Ken David.

Robert Crewdson

#19 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:24 am

An div yiz a ken at they tried to crush out the usage of the Gaelic and Doric language in the Scottish
schools and universities ? Speak about genocide eh !!! ... Kill the language first and you kill the race.
Jist a simple subtle truth that for most of the population goes largely unobserved .

David Hardy

#20 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:26 am

I'd imagine a "loon" is equivalent to a gommeral,or divvy, a stupid person.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#21 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:30 am

Government's always interfere in stuff they know nothing about Robert, I can't think of any kids leaving school without the
ability to read and write, I stayed on an extra year for exams, but left in '69, as you rightly state, the children now are ignorant
of much, but they are learning about other cultures, like how to roll a spliff and where to get some good dope.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#22 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:36 am

I expect you and David are like myself, used to listen to stories from our parents, and knew about life in the 1930s and before. Kids today seem to know nothing about life before their time.

David, what's the situation in Scotland regarding the language now, I believe these languages are coming back; even Cornish, which was as good as extinct.

David, on a different note, have you heard of Donald Dinnie and the Dinnie Stones?

Robert Crewdson

#23 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:39 am

Oka chappies ... Loon means boy , son , or young man.
Quine means girl , daughter , or young woman.
So its common to hear ... Farz yer loon i noo ?
... Hiz yer quine hid er bairn yet ?

David Hardy
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:40 am | Top

#24 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:49 am

Robert they are still trying to get us all to speak the " Queens English ".
I think they are succeeding in places like INVERNESS . hahaha !
As for Donald Dinnie and the Dinnie Stanes.
I have seen them and used to camp beside the Potarch Hotel Kincardine O' Neil where they are placed.
Aye he wiz a strong chiel indeed.

David Hardy

#25 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:57 am

I think Donald Dinnie was buried, in all places, Hanwell, just outside London. He had a chest full of medals for his strength.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
my first movie

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor